Local Cricket 2017/18

Yep, top edges will do it. Don’t happen often but they fly. Unlucky.

I don’t sweep and rarely play the hook or pull shot

You’ve just named all my shots…

3 Likes

I loved the hook & pull.

Favourite though, was to step down to a spinner and smack the cover off it before it bounced.

Hit a few sixes doing that. One that went so far it should have been called a fkn 8!!

1 Like

The best shot I ever hit was a square drive for 6 over point. You know it’s a good shot when you catch the opposition players mimic it…

2 Likes

Flick off my pads anywhere from midwicket to fine leg is my shot…don’t bowl too straight or on my pads.
Love a cover drive as well. Tend to drive on the up, which causes me trouble or I get carried away with my flick and start flicking it off offstump…Short stuff doesn’t bother me either duck or tuck it around the corner for a single. I play the cut, but wait until I’m set as I have a habit of hitting in the air earlier in my innings

SOme dumb ■■■■ little ■■■■ starting a new spell, fairly sharp but not overly, all huff n puff, chest out, giving glares thinking he’s Mitchell Johnson. I’d been in the batting helmetless (rare for me) for half an hour. Tries to bounce me first ball on a slow, sticky wicket, sits up beautifully, slap straight to the boundary. Textbook.

Ego deflated immediately, can’t find his line or length for the rest of the over, scalded by poor captaincy. The beauty of playing kids with their private school coaching, extra club tuition is that sometimes despite disguising your steaming hangover, sore calves, half arsed technique, winning the mental battle is so visible and even more satisfying.

2 Likes

Are you me? Because that’s me to a tea.

1 Like

The only time I ever got hit was a top edge in fading light.

Never wore a helmet, but in those days at that level, there weren’t too many bowling above half rat-power. Really just kids and public school wusses wore them.

my comp the North West Metropolition (NWMCA) this season have made it complusory to wear a helmet in the senior comp whenever facing a fast or meduim pace bowler.
i reckon alot of guys might actually pull the pin now because of this rule

1 Like

lol nothing more satisfying than flicking a bloke over midwicket. He glares at you, mutters: if you missed that you were plumb.
“I didn’t miss it and your ball is over there (pointed with the bat) go and get it”
I made 50 odd, hit the winning runs…it was glorious

3 Likes

Good start to the season. Bowled first, restricted Roxburgh Park to 6/128 off their 40. We passed them 2 down and about 8 overs to spare. I made 55, opened, nearly batted all the way through but hit one straight to backward square. No boundaries in my knock, feeling very sore today!

Season started yesterday and the rain over the week made the pitch unplayable, 1 dayer next week which is fine as I haven’t even had a hit in the nets yet

1 Like

Playing 1-dayers for Oak Park, defending the premiership won in March (Clint Mckay Shield - NWMCA). Most of the premiership side is playing in the Ralph Barron Shield, a 2-day comp in the NWMCA.

Our side met St. Albans at home. Sadly our opponents had just 8, whereas we had a full 12.

Winning the toss, we made 5/292 off 35 overs. Captain made 94 opening the order, whilst the number 3 and wicketkeeper made 102!

Next match is away at East Coburg

Before I went to helmet full time I used to bat in a hat against seamers, helmet against spinners, for exactly this reason.

1 Like

Had 2 x one day games this weekend. Lost on Saturday and won yesterday. Can hardly move today. Got 47 on Saturday and bugger all on Sunday.

2 Likes

We struggled up here. Made 185 in 45 last week. Bowled out for 181 this week in 82. Out 10 and 11 had to bat for 20 odd overs to get us there. Our middle order really needs to lift. And umpires need to realise that the ball has to eventually go on to hit the stumps if he wants to give an LBW

1 Like

We started last week…pitch was shocking…ball didn’t bounce above the knee roll all day.

Batted first and got rolled for 126, 30 for me…a good start but played a poor shot.
We rolled them for 105, 7/28 for myself
Only 2 blokes got caught. 18 of the 20 wickets were lbw or bowled

Went back again this week looking for the outright
The pitch was much better this week. We declared 210 in front. Another start from me 35, missed a straight one and lost my off peg.
We only managed to stay them 4 down.

Another sport has suffered from umpire assault…and it only happened on Friday night.

Caroline Springs Under 11s played Sunshine and the young 15yo umpire appears to have been headbutted.

What gets into people baffles me.

yup

1 Like