Local Cricket 2017/18

Off to Jackson Reserve to play East Coburg tomorrow.

Oak Park has had a rivalry with them in recent years. Ground is a postage stamp!

142 was never going to be enough.

Still, the kids played well as a collective group.

Umpire was SEN’s Steven Milne (mainly on Mark Fine’s shows Tuesday to Thursday)

Chasing 270 next week. Got a wicket 1st ball of the match and one soon after had East Coburg 2/13, but one bloke made a fairly chancey 96 that was the mainstay of their innings. We probably bowled a few too many boundary balls that meant we weren’t able to build that pressure on them as their scoring rate was pretty decent most of the day. We dismissed them in the 75th over meaning we had a nervy 5 overs to see out before stumps in fading light. My opening partner was out 3rd ball of our innings shouldering arms to one and hit in front, but thankfully I survived the night on 3 not out and were 1/10 at the close.

I didn’t play this week, but my boys did very well with the cattle we had available. I’ll be subbing in this week for the guy who made 116
Missing a few regulars from the As and Bs means we had a 4 C graders playing B grade and the A grade opening bowler was away with me, but we named him and played 10.5.
The boys batted the day for 207. Which is sensational work considering.

We should be able to defend that with our bowling attack

2 Likes

I’ve been playing with our D Graders as has been my wish for the past couple of seasons, so I’ve had to trade in the keeping gloves to bat higher up the order in the lower grade. It’s a bit more relaxed than B grade.

Yesterday we had Parkville Youlden by the aggots early, then the heavy English drizzle teemed and stopped play for half an hour. Within two overs the ball was a piece of soap and our spinners got nothing. Lot of seeamer bowlers carrying old man calf injuries, so we relied upon the spinners. Most of their bats were pretty ordinary, a couple of cameos but of course it was “one guy who got all the runs” who eventually ran out of partners. They ended up on 174. A couple of plum LBW’s didn’t go our way and the bloke who got all their runs got caught on the long boundary but the fielder at long on ran out of real estate and just stepped over after completing the catch. That would’ve left them 30-50 runs shorter.

We ended up 50 runs short. I was comfortable, batted myself in, stepping up the chase with a big fella up the other end opening his shoulders. Their ring-in bowled me by a flukey ■■■■■■■ jaffa which jagged in a mile, clipped the top of off, the bail in fact. First ball of his spell. I was livid with myself and my luck but thats what the deck was doing, gremlins. Walked off with 14, coulda shoulda woulda been 41. The ring-in took three in that over and that was virtually us for the day. Took my first outfield catch (without the gloves) since 2009 and jarred my back on the hard square, landed hard on my shoulder in close. Decent catch though, less than a metre from the pitch. Epsom salts in the bath and anti inflammatories last night.

1 Like

From chocolates to boiled lollies. Made 9 and 13 on my 2 hits, actually felt pretty good but played two poor shots, as we were castled for 50 all out then narrowly avoided an innings defeat, finishing 8 down at stumps in our 2nd dig. Getting X-Rays on my little finger after copping a nasty blow from one that kicked up off a length. Stupid game! :wink:

And I’m done until January at the earliest. Broken finger confirmed, need 2 pins to fix the bone in place and one to hold the finger straight. Surgery next Friday.

Work means I won’t play until next Saturday, against the Western Leadbeaters at home.

We rolled the opposition for 90 yesterday and conceded 30 extras. We are 2-32 in reply. I’m not out overnight so hopefully I can get a few next week. I dropped a catch first ball of the match

Our firsts had a day out. Got a club record score of 8-441 from 80 overs. Top score was also a club record of 260 off 223 balls with 24 x 4 and 12 x 6. The bloke who put him down before he was 10 wouldn’t be feeling the best today.

4 Likes

1sts played Gladstone Park yesterday.

Made 349 off 35 overs and rolled them for 34.

fair effort , but to be fair probably shouldn’t be in that low of a grade if you are scoring that much off only 35 overs and then bowling teams out for that low a score aswell! pretty sure your 1sts also completely dominated there 1st game of the year aswell. surely the comp bosses need to have a hard look at what grade they should be in.

Sadly…the comp thinks otherwise and has kept the 1sts in the grade they are in. Makes no sense to me.

You have a team that won the 1 day premiership in the top grade of it last year in the lowest 2 day grade and beating their opponents handsomely and then the 2nds are in the same grade the 1sts were for this year and have a mix of older players and kids! (when I say kids they come from the Under 14’s and Under 12’s).

Then we have a mix of both sides to play in the T20 comp due to start in a couple of weeks.

Yeah you have a point there i guess
The NWMCA have never been known for their smart decision making in the past! Some ordinary decisions over the years

where are all the scores for the weekend

We were only chasing 90 and were 2/30 overnight. We had passed them by drinks. We batted until tea and sent them back in but they batted well in the 2nd innings and we had them 3 down when we decided to have an early beer. I got 40 and am hitting them ok.

We were chasing 220 on a road
At 7 for 75 it was all over
6 Of those wickets were disgraceful, including mine
Threw them away. Against a side who were missing their best bowler as well.

Western Leadbeaters made 214 and we struggled to 143.

Next match we are hosting Airport West St. Christophers

We were lucky, we didn’t get any rain on Saturday. It went around us. We got them all out for 190 and had 15 overs to bat in the dark. We are 2/20. I’m not out on 10. Hopefully I can get some next week and we can have a good win.

1 Like

Kept wicket for the first time this season and they want me to do so permanently, the captain is adamant, a few others feel the same way. The guy who has made it his spot (and come a long way) won’t be happy, he’s also mates with the President. Such is the politics at at a smaller, more social club and I’m staying well away from it. My batting so far has been patchy in the lower grade but obviously I’ve still got it with the gloves, kept a clean sheet. Legs are still ■■■■■■■ sore.

Gave the lesser opposition an old fashioned hiding too.

We had a good win. Chasing 190 and passed them 4 down with about 20 overs left. We had to get a move on as there was a pretty big storm coming but got there with about 5 minutes to spare. I had a pretty good day and got 89. win will put us 2nd on the ladder.