Local Footy 2018

Aberfeldie went back-to-back, easily accounting for Keilor at Windy Hill in the EDFL Premier Division Grand Final. Keilor kicked the opening 2 goals of the game but Abers steadied and opened up a handy 6 goal lead at half-time. From there the result was never in doubt, the Gorillas victorious by 61 points. Former Bomber Courtney Johns retires with a 2nd successive flag. Ex-Blue and Sandover Medallist Luke Blackwell won best afield honours.

What happened to Kyle Reimers? He was playing early in the season for Abers.

I was told dropped for disciplinary issues. Went back to the 2s, kicked 13 in a quarter and a half, pinged a calf and didn’t get back in. Apparently played in the 2s finals campaign…

1 Like

Some other grand finals this week:

Werribee hosts the WRFL Division 1 Grand Final between Marc Bullen’s Deer Park and a Hoppers Crossing side looking to break a premiership drought since the 2000’s.

Down in Geelong, South Barwon have not made the grand final this time around. It’s St. Marys and St. Joseph’s!
Melton play East Point at North Ballarat in the Ballarat league.
Eaglehawk take on Strathfieldsaye in the Bendigo league.

Vermont gets the flag for the first time since 2009.

Kicking into the breeze in the first quarter, they managed 6 goals to one, with eventual BOG Ainger kicking 4 of the 6.

5 goals to 1 with the wind ensured the game was over on the scoreboard.

To South Croydon’s credit, they outscored Vermont 8 goals to 4 after half-time, lead by 6 goals from Max King.

In the end 15.11.101 to 10.6.66.

Vermont’s reserves made it a party with a smashing of South Croydon 13.8.86 to 2.7.19.

1 Like

Koroit won their fifth in a row over Camperdown by 11 points, 8.9 to 6.10. I think only in one or two of those 5 they’ve strolled through.

First one they beat Warrnambool after being smashed in the second semi.
They beat North Warrnambool easily after being miles down at quarter time.
This year, they got beaten in the second semi and beat Port Fairy by a goal in the prelim.

1 Like

Seville continue their form, losing another granny (think that’s 7 in 11 years).
I wasn’t there but apparently they didn’t even stay on the ground for the presentation.

The oranges would taste very bitter.

2 Likes

Fark me, that’s pretty poor form

1 Like

Deer Park won their 6th straight premiership in the WRFL with a 46 point win over Hoppers Crossing at Werribee.

It’s a staggering effort by Marc Bullen’s boys.

1 Like

No thread for 2019 but this is from the Riverena Herald

Echuca United have pulled off a recruiting coup for the 2019 season, with former Essendon midfielder Andrew Welsh to join the Eagles.

Welsh, 36, is expected to play five to six games during the season, with the matches depending on work commitments.

President Lucas Walker said the move has been in the works for a number of years.

“He’s a good friend of (United coach) Guy Campbell,” he said.

“They’ve been having discussions about this for a while and were able to put it together for this season.”

It is unclear when Welsh will debut, though it will likely be during one of United’s home fixtures.

2 Likes

EDFL Round 1 kicks off this week. Reigning premiers Aberfeldie host Strathmore which looks to be the match of the round. I’ll be watching Doutta Stars v newly promoted Airport West at Nipper Jordan Oval. Mate of mine is umpiring his first ever senior match in the Premier Division so I’ll be there to yell abuse at him. Douttas now have Kyle Hardingham as coach.

1 Like

My boy’s Under 10 side training in torrential rain last night. The kids loved it. Kudos to Dave the coach as well.

2 Likes

Not even the worst thing they’ve done.
Scumbag club.

Elliott Kavanagh and Josh Freezer playing for Old Melburnians, Rohan Bewick for Old Xavs. Xavs won comfortably.

Chopper Handley get a kick for Xavs?

Was the only kid in under 14s cricket shorter and slower than me. And he was a behemoth by 17 or 18.

Matthew Handley? 4 goals.

Brendan Goss, who was on the Rookie and possibly on Blitz, kicked 5. Mad Bomber fan, I believe.

I went down to Gardens Oval to watch Port Fairy host South Warrnambool. South were much cleaner, taller and more accomplished and won by about 4.

Rumour that Fraser Anning or Pauline Hanson wants to sponsor Port as long as they change the club name to the Port Fairy Sieg Heils.

1 Like

Had Williamstown Cyms versus Old Ivanhoe down by the beach.

Feel for the ■■■■ bloke who accidently got crunched and finished up in the Royal Melbourne with a fractured skull.

Hoers lead by 3 goals with 3 minutes to go and still managed to lose thanks to Ben Deller (as in Bill Deller’s grandson), kicking the last 3 goals. Final score 13.12.90 to 12.13.85

Some good news re: the young lad mentioned above. Only a few wobbly teeth and no memory of the incident. Great Result.

Got a late change and headed to Como Park for Old Geelong v Old Scotch. The Cardinals are in a very strong spot early, beating the 2 promoted teams from C Grade by over 100 points in the first 2 matches.