Local Footy

Couple of signings in the Hampden League

Ricky Henderson to suit up for the South Warrnambool Roosters
And
Shaun Savage signing for the Port Fairy Seagulls.

Port Fairy midfielder Kane Mercovich has signed with North Adelaide in the SANFL.

Don’t know how he’ll go. SANFL is a fair bit higher standard than Hampden League, although Sam Rudolph was one that one of the South Aussie posters recommended that we sign, and he played for Port Fairy for 3 or 4 years recently and was no superstar. Good useful player though, as is Mercovich.

Not sure how PF will go. They’ve gained Shane Savage but lost Dan Nicholson (who’s now living in Geelong), Mercovich and a couple of others (Herbertson and one other) who’ve gone to Russells Creek in the Warrnambool District league. That league has quite a few clubs from the cricket comp like Allansford, Merrivale, Dennington and Russells Creek. There doesn’t seem to be any association between the Hampden League clubs and the cricket clubs. Port Fairy cricket and football clubs play on different grounds, different colours, different nicknames.

Will be interesting to see how Andy McMeel goes for PF after winning back to back District league BnFs.

Where’s he from?

BTW I believe Winis Imbi, ex-Bomber, is coach of PF again with his brother James still playing.

Played the last 2 seasons at Creek after coming back home from a few years in England

Brett Deledio signed with Devon Meadows (MPNFL) over the weekemd. Won’t play every week but will be semi regular.

I understand Port Fairy had a fair dip at Deledio.

The VAFA continues to find blokes with AFL experience at clubs.

Matthew Suckling has headed to Ormond.
Alex Fasolo is off to University Blues.

Darren Minchington at De La Salle too

Matt Scharenburg up at Olinda this year (hope he packs his snow kit for June/July!).
Tom Goodwin (ex-Coburg captain/lump of a ruckman) signed at Corowa. Been training with us and looks like he’s put on about 15kg. Says a few ex-AFL guys are up there now (Dawson Simpson, Anthony Miles, Jetta etc).
Apparently Yarra Glen are close to signing Trav Cloke for a few games, and if he plays so will Brock McLean.

Umpired a practice match at Westbourne Grammar yesterday.

Old Scotch v Old Melburnians.

Hard to get a gauge on either side given how windy it was.

So some competitions have made a start over Easter. Did anyone get along to any of the matches (e.g. Keilor v Strathmore)?

I watched Vermont v Old Trinity last weekend. Vermont did as they liked.

Koroit beat South Warrnambool (sans Rickey Henderson) on Friday. Koroit always play a week before everyone else so they have the weekend of the Koroit Irish Festival off, just before the Warrnambool races at the beginning of May.

Round 1 is next weekend, with a couple of games under lights, Port Fairy at Hamilton being one of them.

Who is looking the goods in the Hampden league this year?

Koroit are going for 7, or is it 8, in a row. Their CHB O’Connor is gone on the total suspensions rule. Knocked someone out in the 2019 GF to take him over 18 (16?) weeks.

Haven’t heard much of Terang-Mortlake, Cobden, Hamilton or Portland again.

I’d expect it to be Port Fairy, the 3 Warrnambool teams and Camperdown to fill out the chase for the finals.

1 Like

Couple of legends made the trip to Hervey Bay for the opening of our new club rooms. The local Mayor had to photo bomb it of course.
Terry’s opening line was when asked to come up was ‘Where the fck is Hervey Bay?’ Both were very good. I’m sure TD has told the same stories a thousand times but we all agreed he made it sound like it was the first time.
Both were in high praise of Sheedy and noted more than once how hard he was. Training after a loss was not pleasant.
Bryan told how he was involved in the Richmond turnaround - everyone except the coach was moved on, either out of the Club or to another spot far away. Big wrap for Neil Balme.
Thankfully no-one asked about Joe. Of course a Pie supporter asked about Eddie. Enough said.
TD told a good story about Spitfire Walsh. Apparently he insisted he would only do on the field what his contract stipulated, leaving out quite a large chunk of necessary stuff. A meeting was held and the contract changed!
All in all both were very good.
I asked Terry privately why back pocket players make such good coaches. Didn’t know. Glad I didn’t ask him publicly.
To finish off the day the Hervey Bay Bombers brought home the chocolates.

2 Likes

EFNL news:
Dad said Beaconsfield beat South Croydon by a few goals in a praccy match on the weekend.
Based on how good Beacy were in Outer East I’m going to put South as my early spoon favourites for Premier div.

Have had Mazenod the first 2 matches of the season - both away. Lost to Old Geelong and won the close one against Marcellin yesterday.

Perhaps the story of the season so far is at Oak Park in the EDFL.

Kicked the sweep last week against Jacana (54.15.339 to 1.0.6) and backed that up yesterday with a decent win against Burnside Heights (26.13.169 to 18.3.111).

Mate was umpiring the seniors game at Greenvale v Keilor out at Greenvale. Very good contest, Keilor flat in the first half and the Jets went into the HT break with a 3 goal lead, which should’ve been more if not for inaccuracy in front of goal. Keilor as expected came out much improved in the 3rd, taking the lead before some late goals by the hosts saw then up by a point at the final change. Greenvale booted the first of the last and it looked as if Keilor’s 21-game unbeaten stretch would end, but as great teams do they find a way and won 13.12.90 to 11.16.82. New Greenvale coach Darren Bewick would be reasonably happy with his team’s effort despite not getting the win…

Courtney Dempsey given it away at Greenvale, I believe.

I remember going out to watch Scotty Lucas hobble around out there for a year or two after he retired.