Lou Reed, rock legend, dies

Some Kind of Nature is one of my favourite Gorillaz songs and Tranquilize is a very good Killers song. He had a good voice.

On a day when he would have received countless platitudes, I reckon you are the first to pay that compliment.

Rock & Roll Animal - one of my favourite live albums of all time. Got three albums of LR including Velvet Underground and still play them occasionally. In fact I will play one tonight as I have a drink and salute the man.

I saw Lou at the Regent Theatre in 2003. The band included the wonderful John Cale. He played mainly new stuff but his last encore was Perfect Day from Transformer.

RIP Lou. A real enigma who did suffer fools gladly.

Over the years l have been a bigger fan of John Cale than Lou Reed, also a bigger fan of both of them than JJ Cale. l still rate Paris 1919 in my top 20 albums of all time.  

Reconnecting with NY and M&L now and…geez we’ve lost a literate leather jacket wearing artist.

Some Kind of Nature is one of my favourite Gorillaz songs and Tranquilize is a very good Killers song. He had a good voice.

On a day when he would have received countless platitudes, I reckon you are the first to pay that compliment.

hahaha. Those two songs have really distinct styles/tones, not sure if you have heard them. Go on the Gorillaz one, they put this effect where it's like ultra high quality/in your face sound. Works really well with his voice.

Here you go

http://youtu.be/bvjjc18nB14

;[

waaaaaaah

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZH82l_ie9M[/media]

l am surprised he lasted as long as he did. He certainly pushed rock into new, dark places that it had never been to previously. While he was writing Heroin the Beatles were still scratching around with adolescent ditties like She Loves You.

When the Velvet Underground released Heroin, The Beatles had already released Rubber Soul, Revolver and The Magical Mystery Tour, which were a far departure from their early stuff.

Not true Windy Dill.  Reed wrote Heroin in 1964 while the Beatles were producing A Hard Day's Night & Beatles for Sale. 

Reed may have written it in 1964, but the Velvet Underground and Nico was released in 1967, and the Beatles had released some prettty important records at that point. So what I said is quite true.

Reed may have written it in 1964, but the Velvet Underground and Nico was released in 1967, and the Beatles had released some prettty important records at that point. So what I said is quite true.

What CJ wrote was: "While he was writing Heroin the Beatles were still scratching around with adolescent ditties like She Loves You"
His statement was correct and you were arguing against his statement.

What CJ wrote was: "While he was writing Heroin the Beatles were still scratching around with adolescent ditties like She Loves You"

Fair enough.

Does it really matter? Different people, different lifestyles, different social groupings etc = different lyrical content. Today on the same radio station you can hear some rapper (so called) singing "s**k my c*** ■■■■■ or I'll blow your f**kin head off", and then some boy band singing "gee you're cute, will you be my prom queen."

Does it really matter? Different people, different lifestyles, different social groupings etc = different lyrical content. Today on the same radio station you can hear some rapper (so called) singing "s**k my c*** ***** or I'll blow your f**kin head off", and then some boy band singing "gee you're cute, will you be my prom queen."

That is not the argument though??  I think CJ was being derisive as well but that's not what the responses were talking about.