Lou Reed, rock legend, dies

incorrect quote

(CNN) -- Lou Reed, who took rock 'n' roll into dark corners as a songwriter, vocalist and guitarist for the Velvet Underground and as a solo artist, died Sunday, his publicist said. He was 71.

Seems to have had some complications after a liver transplant earlier in the year.

Got a couple of VU albums, my favourite is probably “I’m Set Free”.

RIP Lou.

Was never a fan of Velvet Underground, but loved the New York album.

Magic and Loss had some moments too.

I thought we could quote and we were meant to provide the link as well?

I thought we could quote and we were meant to provide the link as well?

Sorry mate. Cut and paste plus provide link. Legal requirements I'm afraid

Do I need to cut and paste the whole article as I added the link then cut and paste the opening paragraph?  Was that not enough?

Do I need to cut and paste the whole article as I added the link then cut and paste the opening paragraph?  Was that not enough?

At present, yes, you need to do the whole thing.

Ahh, okay cool, thanks for answering.  Feel free to remove all these comments

l am surprised he lasted as long as he did. He certainly pushed rock into new, dark places that it had never been to previously. While he was writing Heroin the Beatles were still scratching around with adolescent ditties like She Loves You. l did see at Festival Hall in the mid 1970's when he took the Rock N Roll Animal show on tour, complete with Steve Hunter and ■■■■ Wagner on guitars. That included about a 15 minute workout on Heroin with two of the best rock guitarists in the business trading licks, while Reed in black leather role played shooting up on stage. l also liked much of his good rocking later solo work, although most people will only know him for Walk On The Wild Side. l think his rock opera Berlin was also vastly under rated.      

l am surprised he lasted as long as he did. He certainly pushed rock into new, dark places that it had never been to previously. While he was writing Heroin the Beatles were still scratching around with adolescent ditties like She Loves You. l did see at Festival Hall in the mid 1970's when he took the Rock N Roll Animal show on tour, complete with Steve Hunter and ■■■■ Wagner on guitars. That included about a 15 minute workout on Heroin with two of the best rock guitarists in the business trading licks, while Reed in black leather role played shooting up on stage. l also liked much of his good rocking later solo work, although most people will only know him for Walk On The Wild Side. l think his rock opera Berlin was also vastly under rated.      

Went to that myself. Brilliant band. I actually as much to see Wagner and Hunter as I did Lou Reed. And was not disappointed.

l am surprised he lasted as long as he did. He certainly pushed rock into new, dark places that it had never been to previously. While he was writing Heroin the Beatles were still scratching around with adolescent ditties like She Loves You.

When the Velvet Underground released Heroin, The Beatles had already released Rubber Soul, Revolver and The Magical Mystery Tour, which were a far departure from their early stuff.

I saw Lou at the Regent Theatre in 2003. The band included the wonderful John Cale. He played mainly new stuff but his last encore was Perfect Day from Transformer.

RIP Lou. A real enigma who did suffer fools gladly.

Some say he was one of Rock's biggest arseholes.

Others say he was the biggest.

Some Kind of Nature is one of my favourite Gorillaz songs and Tranquilize is a very good Killers song. He had a good voice.

Never was in to him but understood his importance.

Actually saw him in 95 and left after 2 songs. I was 22 and bored by this 50 something old fart. I wish I could slap the younger me and make me watch it.

Not often a junkie lives past 60 so to make 71 is a very good effort.

Was never a fan of Velvet Underground, but loved the New York album.
Magic and Loss had some moments too.

I think I'm the other way around. VU over solo Reed.

I still remember playing Strawman really loud, and mum putting up with it until the line,

‘Does anyone need yet another politician

Caught with his pants down

And money sticking in his hole?’

When she gave me the ol’ ‘well really.’

I still remember playing Strawman really loud, and mum putting up with it until the line,
'Does anyone need yet another politician
And money sticking in his hole?'
When she gave me the ol' 'well really.'

Lol. Had a similar experience with Monty Python and The Holy Grail. They were thanking me for buying the "Executive Edition", mother was smiling, and then they said it had "next to no offensive language bar two c**ts, a ■■■■■■■■, and a foreskin." Mother no longer smiling.

'Does anyone need yet another politician
And money sticking in his hole?'
When she gave me the ol' 'well really.'

Lol. Had a similar experience with Monty Python and The Holy Grail. They were thanking me for buying the "Executive Edition", mother was smiling, and then they said it had "next to no offensive language bar two c**ts, a ■■■■■■■■, and a foreskin." Mother no longer smiling.

Now that's funny.
The only song my dad vetoed was guns and roses 'I Used To Love Her (But I Had To Kill Her)' but that may well have been on musical taste grounds.

Always liked the Velvets.

Only really liked Transformer of the solo albums.