Loving the club

Love is a bit strong these days.

I like them, just don’t ‘like like’ them.

6 Likes

I know you love this line, but I really don’t think that’s true.

I didn’t really care about finals last year, it just felt like we were competitive in a lot of games, and heading somewhere positive.

Turns out Jake Stringer having a purple patch just dragged us 6-7 spots in the ladder higher than we should have.

4 Likes

Absolutely. If you look at our pressure, our tackle count I bet on average it was far far above this year. I loved watching them last year because of the effort.

We’re they ‘any good’ - the draw was soft, we’re young etc, but we had a crack. This year has been pretty dire. Real bad.

This for me. Easy to forget after all the crap… but those Hird years were exciting… not just the wins but we felt ‘in it’ all the time. We were getting our mojo back… there was passion. I really did fall back in love with the club and was heavily invested. It sucked me in enough that I defended the club through the saga without hesitation.

Before that I hadn’t ever really considered not being in love with the club… I didn’t like the last two years of the Knights era but it wasn’t long enough for me to really become dispirited.

I could admire 2016 but by then I was really worried about where we were heading… never liked the thompson game style… nor woosha.

So yeah… wow… its probably been 9 years since I really loved watching the club. Nearly a decade… makes you think. Wow. Actually thought provoking. And spookily watching the game today was the first time I considered why I follow the bombers and whether I should just cut my losses and change. My dad is a rabid dogs supporter… and my family are all paid up Geelong members… I was the ‘black sheep’… and for 20 years we have sucked and every single year they remind me. I’ve never waivered but watching up capitulate today… I did have a moments pause.

We are diabolically bad… and for those thinking there is a Richmond/Melbourne like turnaround coming… that is just delusional. We are putrid to the core.

1 Like

Just browsing the Amazon catalog to see what I can buy with 2 memberships worth of cash to entertain me thru winter 2023 as this years outlay has been money down the toilet !!

Love you long time EFC

2 Likes

We are farked but I still love the club and always will but I’m a bit of a sucker for punishment. I was lucky to grow up as a young fella in the 80s and 90s and have seen some success. This year has been the worst for me( excluding the saga) as I can’t see any direction. I understand we are a young team but just show me what we are trying to do. My son is 8 years old and he has not seen any success with the boys but he loves the red and black more than me and wears his bombers gear everytime he can. I reckon I have done something right there.

8 Likes

I love the club still. Not sure I’m always proud of them or have much faith in them. But my affection for the club isn’t conditional upon success.

That’s how I got taught to support

It’s caused me a lot of disappointment over the journey , but it ain’t changing any time soon

7 Likes

In the five years before 6 May 2018 my interest in the club and more particularly the game drastically declined.

The aspect that existed before that date continues to decline… and given the investment I found it surprisingly easy to just let it go.

But since 6 May 2018 I have found something to love at EFC, and it has all of the work ethic and player/staff support for each other that most of you think is gone from the club.

That period has very definitely proved it is not all about winning… but holy ■■■■ we very well might have the ultimate win in 8 weeks time.

7 Likes

Will always love the club. Excitied to be part of the 150th year, bought all the merch etc. Just a pity the team is Amber Heard’ing at the moment.

5 Likes

Do we play North in 8 weeks

why were we more competitive though ?

in you’re own post you say stringer purple patch dragged us 6-7 spots higher, which would make us 14th to 15th…

we had jones which was supposedly our new Daniher
we had cox who “looked great” for his size

what else exactly made us look more competitive ?

did we look “more competitive” cos we played Noth twice, hawks twice, etc etc ?

the only difference this year is our lack of defensive efforts are getting more exposed cos the perceived attacking side is more woeful due to said drop off in form.

which was the point. the defensive actions are the same, simply not good enough, and the attacking side has dropped all the way off, cos teams have gotten better, while we haven’t (due to yes a number of reasons, injuries being one.)

I clearly still love the club.

This couldn’t possibly be ■■■■■■■ me off so much if I didn’t.

15 Likes

No, I don’t think this year is just like last year, only with a harder draw.

Look, it might have just been the ‘vibe’ (Mabo) of last year, but we only had two games last year that were a total embarrassment in my book, Port and Brisbane. The Geelong game blew out, but at least our first half was pretty good.

This year has been an embarrassment since the first five minutes of round 1. Even the game we won this year was a clusterfark.

8 Likes

2016 was the best year for team spirit.

But I don’t think the club is the problem. The game is almost unwatchable at the moment.

If you’re a demons fan you’d be loving it, but let’s face it, it’s an entertainment industry more than a sport these days.

4 Likes

I came to this country in 03’
Started barracking for the bombers in 04’
Have never seen an ounce of success :slight_smile:

1 Like

So it’s your fault?

3 Likes

I think so.
I will go back to England now.

5 Likes

They gave me a small bit of hope after last year, but within 5 minutes against Geelong, they managed to crush it. Shouldve seen it coming against St Kilda in the pre season tbh.

4 Likes