Lunchtime Catch Up Podcast - Cal Twomey joins us to talk EFC 2024 and Nat Draft options

1 Like

I absolutely agree. It was pretty tough to be inspired after listening to some of the deflections and want to take the easy way out with some of the questions around the Worsfold/Rutten handover. He delegated a lot of the blame for the past 7 years when it came to some of the bigger decisions that have frustrated fans no end.

I also didnā€™t like the way he answered the question about the hangar, seeming to imply that @CJohns hadnā€™t been down recently to see ā€œphase 2ā€.

2 Likes

I actually thought that was a poor moment from him as well. It told me someone who spends all their time inside the Hangar but he lost the emphasis on what fans doā€¦ watch VFLw, Watch training. Fans are hesitant to go into the cafe as it feels quite coldā€¦ he didnā€™t seem to truly click on what i am trying to convey

6 Likes

just want to talk about this point, while there is a core value that scott and grant have for their podcast that they want to uphold (2 mates having a yarn over lunch), its grown beyond that, and having board members on to campaign, requires you to be critical and balanced, otherwise its just advocacy.

1 Like

Surely you get your chairs after all these interviews!

1 Like

@CJohns given how good you guys are going with getting contesting board members and Sheeds in the past, any chance you think you could get Barham in the future?

Iā€™d be keen to hear how he thinks things have gone since he took over in a more discussion - podcast - format than how we have been exposed to him so far (journalist combative presser or scripted release)ā€¦

1 Like

Its slowly being in the works. Hoping too post CEO announcement. Touch n go whether this year or next depending on timing of announcements

2 Likes

Another great pod @CJohns.

I thought Andrewā€™s comment about how candidates need to apply with expertise in the specific gaps the board has. It appears to be a bit of a whack at the people trying to get onto the Board.

But he then mentions that Andrew Welsh is standing for re-election for the member with experience in elite sports programs. Other than playing for us yearā€™s ago - Welsh has purely worked in the commercial / real estate world. How on earth can you say Welsh has expertise in elite sports?

Surely someone who has years of experience across in sports is more suitable for the roleā€¦

1 Like

A bit like D Barham saying this with a straight face;
ā€œThe Board were then presented with a comprehensive review of the candidates via our EY representatives. We then met as a Board this morning to consider these individuals and appointed Andrew Thorburn to lead our clubā€.

3 Likes

Here it is!!! Ed Pascoe from Rookie Me Central joins the show as we go through all the 2022 Essendon Draft selections. One thing is for sureā€¦Essendon has some much needed speed coming in!!!

16 Likes
3 Likes

Cracking show mate, these post-draft ones are always such great listening.

Really insightful stuff from @THE_DON1 once again (congrats on the scouting gig with Oakleigh Chargers as well btw!).

7 Likes

Great show @CJohns!!!

Thanks for all the work you guys have done this year.

4 Likes

Great show guys!
Love it when you have Ed on the show!
Thanks Grant for asking about Bewickā€™s sonā€¦ I was wondering about how he was progressing too!

3 Likes

@THE_DON1 nice reference in the latest pod to Nathan Philactides; I actually know his old man; heā€™s been telling me all about his boy for a few years now; seens a genuine talent at a young age.

Philacides is a gun, lightning quick and a beautiful left foot, should be a high pick next year.

1 Like

Sounds like an ancient Greek philosopher.

1 Like

Racist.

1 Like

Thanks for The draft podcast with Ed Pascoe.

2 Likes

Can Ed finally reveal who the other Victorian player was that we were interested in at pick 5?