Lunchtime Catch Up Podcast - Anzac Day review main show out now

which wasn’t the point you started this argument about

1 Like

And yet Stringer started there too.

1 Like

Is this necessary?

2 Likes

In short no. Grant i thought made a valid point on Walla only playing one game in 3 weeks and having some doubts on match fitness. Scott talked up only playing guys when they are ready and match fit…i think its fine to ask the question if that message was not as consistent this time around. Walla’s last VFL game a few weeks back was one where he made little impact on the game. Its a healthy debate to have.

3 Likes

Why do people get so angry at Grant???

He really has become a wrestling heel.

2 Likes

Absolutely it is. Even if he may not have been armed with the best data or mightn’t have expressed it perfectly, Grant’s concerns on this are certainly valid.

Scott made a point of saying he’ll bring guys into the side in a manner that sets them up to succeed and when they’re in a position to have a sustained run at it. He also spoke about the importance of raising standards at the club and the importance of everyone embracing what it means to be a professional athlete.

Whilst I get what Jono is saying, and it’s true, that you don’t look at disposals alone, you also look at things like his ability to cover ground well enough in defensive transition (to therefore be in position to apply defensive pressure repeatedly) and also on offensive transition (to allow yourself to get to enough contests to be able to showcase your skills and exert influence often enough).

I’m personally of the belief that it’s too early.

What I’m interested to see is if it was done more out of necessity in exceptional circumstances with the short break off ANZAC Day or if he will continue with Tippa for multiple weeks now.

4 Likes

Just for clarity, Choppsuey edited my post.
I said he should be Banned from stats, for the obvious reasons.

1 Like

We’ll find out this week what he values I reckon.
He seemed to suggest that Menzie and Davey were rested. If they both come back in I don’t see how there is room for Tippa. I’d prefer Snelling as well at the moment.

The only scenario in which I think it’s worth playing Tippa is if they think he’ll play on past this year and playing games now will help to get him fitter for next year. Otherwise I don’t really see the point of picking him when there are other younger options that add as much or more value than him.

P.S I love Tippa and would love to see him back to his best.

That is the big question and it is obvious that both Menzie and Davey need to lift their game to be more value than Walla. Menzie needs to improve his kicking and Davey needs to muscle up.

1 Like

yeh a valid point, but felt a bit like shooting bambi.
glad Grant moved on from the topic blitzers should too.

He coughs every episode!!

Why?

No offence at all but it comes across as a bit odd that a player is almost off limits when it’s a very reasonable discussion. Why is it like shooting Bambi? Surely every single poster here absolutely farking loves Tippa. He brought us all immense joy when there wasn’t much around during the first phase of his career. But how you’ve written that makes it seem like he’s a sacred cow beyond critique and pragmatic discussion. Which I don’t think is right.

When Tippa signed up I’m sure he wouldn’t have asked to be given any special favours.

I hope Tippa has an awesome rest of the season from here and that we build him up in the best way for it to not end here but that he has a couple of years of good footy left in him. But that it’s done within the parameters of maintaining selection integrity and upholding standards.

5 Likes

I would argue that Walla has never been given any special favours, he certainly would not ask for them.

1 Like

It just seems a bit odd after the loss to the cats to single out walla in his first game back IMO.
I think walla deserves a bit more grace. he was ok.

Look at Jake Stringers return, everyone complaining he was unfit then following week has ten shots on goal.

Maybe you just need a bit of a rust buster, to get up to AFL tempo.

Hobbs was better this week, after his first match back after being sub.

1 Like

I actually went harder on Phillips. We went through quite a few players re positives and negatives

They talked about a heap of players individually. In a guys first game back for a year and a half you’re expecting that not to be worthy of discussion? If he’d have shot the lights out and kicked 5 and layed 8 tackles I’d absolutely expect that they’d be talking about it, and rightly so, so why not discuss how he went in the context of Scott’s previous commentary around reintroducing players into the fold, when it was less involved game?

1 Like

yep and think most would agree.
Phillips offered nothing. And a lot of us expected him to be rested pre game.

WIll be interesting if walla plays next week, I expect he will. Phillips, due for a rest.

People are just overly sensitive towards any critique of Walla.

7 Likes

The houlis are fighting

1 Like

No beef here.
As long as he doens’t pick on VOSSY.
took a bit of offence that they thought I didnt listen to the full podcast though :laughing: