Lunchtime Catch Up Podcast - Anzac Day review main show out now

Yeh its something i discussed today as i think we both went on too long with questions. We do take on board these comments :+1:

3 Likes

Awesome mate. Love your work, keen for the post-draft show!

2 Likes

It’s a funny one. One thing that irks me is when professional media footy personalities on radio etc ask a guest and keep regurgitating the same question on multiple occasions before allowing the guest to answer it! I would’ve thought they do media training covering this basic stuff. But many of them keep doing it.

Set the scene / context then ask the question. Then be silent.

You guys are brilliant amateurs and it doesn’t really matter. Although it’s all good friendly feedback I guess. Perhaps acceptance that you guys are now stars and expected to step up as pros :smile:

2 Likes

That’s pretty much exactly what I meant by it! Haha

1 Like

During Uni, we were taught to be purposefully short and/or vague with our questions and our responses during interviews because, quite often, the people you interview actually divulge more than they initially had intended to because they try to ‘fill in the blanks’ themselves.

Media trained guests will generally be better at not doing this. But it’s a good way to get the juiciest story possible.

2 Likes

I have some issues with Grant’s style, but expecting them to both be polished journos and media performers is a tad harsh. And the patreon is like, 3 dollars a month lol?

1 Like

I’m not a patreon so my opinion counts for less but I actually quite like the lack of polish. It really is just 2 mates who catch up and talk Bombers. Keep having a crack lads.

2 Likes

Some tips @CJohns …you can take or leave as you see fit.

The long questions are problematic because they allow the interviewee to choose which part of question they want to answer. Sometimes, when issues are complex, it’s tempting to get everything out there… but it’s counterproductive.

Here’s an example of me interviewing you.

Question A
Mr Johns, your little podcast has gone from strength to strength, it seems to really resonate with the fan base and now seems to be influential is shaping the make up of the board, to the point where you might see yourselves as kingmakers. This comes with some responsibility with the onus on you to frame your questions fairly so as not to favour any one candidate. How do you feel about that?

Alternatively
Mr Johns, to what do you attribute the success of your podcast?

Why do you feel it resonates with the fans?

Can you give us an insight to the research that goes into each interview?

Do you feel a sense of responsibility for the direction of the club?

Where do you see the podcast in 5 years time?

As illustrated, a rambling statement that ends with a question is far less effective at eliciting information than short sharp direct questions. In the first example the focus is on the opinions of the interviewer. The second bunch are about showcasing the opinions of the interviewee.

Anyway, that’s my 2 cents worth.

Great job in making something that means so much to so many.

13 Likes

Agree with this, still wanna hear c johns and the other guys opinions though as i usually agree with them, just after the answer is given is good.

I think there is some very valid comments with what your saying Darli …that we need to discuss internally on improving guests questions. Must admit i like to explain why i am asking as a member and feedback we are getting sent in to the show but its a fine balance of not going off scope too much that the guest has an out

1 Like

Please ask about moving to the MCG

5 Likes

Understandable. But perhaps the time for that, and the best value for your listeners is for you and Grant to do a wrap once the interview is finished.

There still has to be my natural personality in this and as much as i think there needs to be some tinkering… i also am happy with other interviews we have done- though reducing time on questions can definitely improve yes. We do tell the guests though our show is more relational and an open discussion. Muir was one straight after i thought however… we got it a bit wrong. Part of it maybe just us both a bit tired tbh as it was 5pm Friday straight after work and doing candidate shows the previous two nights after work. I actually said to Grant i didn’t feel myself and came into this one mentally tired and was rambling on badly. As the club says… all learnings

13 Likes

Any reason for not taking this rare opportunity to query Muir about the worst decision he’s been a party to- the appointment of A Thorburn?
A Board decision that squandered hundreds of thousands of dollars and was a complete slap in the face to the external review/CEO selection process that Muir reckons he was advocating and instrumental in getting up and running ?

With possible legal action he could not discuss specific detail at this time which I get.

2 Likes

you should still pose the question, if he wants to straight bat/hide behind potential legal action, let the listener/member decide how that affects their vote.

2 Likes

Questions were put to Muir by your opposition, and they got responses.
Of course he won’t go into detail but surely you could have queried him about the appointment process and how they came to select a disgraced banker and what became of all the other candidates that were submitted for consideration and have somehow vanished.

1 Like

I cant take back the show mate. It was clear to us prior he was not going to talk around that topic… so we discussed other areas. We don’t claim to be hard hitting journos- we respect the guest we have and there wishes. It is what it is. We tried to have a forum for all fans to hear everyone and i am happy we could get that done despite being incredibly busy with our daily jobs. The bomber family guys and girls over at Sash did the same- they have a great show going on. Its great as everyone can get real information through different styles.

20 Likes

Thanks for getting him on @CJohns, appreciate what you do.

With out going into specifics, I don’t trust him for some reason. Feels like too much of the old gaurd.

That said, you need balance. And his do is a stand out.

2 Likes

Which is quite pathetic from A Muir given his view that a successful football club requires honest and open discussion, but with a caveat. We can’t be open with members about how we arrived at making the worst decision of the last seven years because that would mean exposure of incompetence.
Muir is a waste of a seat not only because he’s been on the Board for the last seven years during which the VFL team had been deserted, X’s extension etc etc, but because bringing in Welsh doubles up on the entrepreneurial skill set that we already have courtesy of Muir himself.
Welsh was allegedly brought in with the ex AFL player/ Elite Sport skill set requirement, but is also hugely successful commercially and as an entrepeneur.
Muir helped deliver an external review but even that lacked integrity with the Thorburn appointment.
Doesn’t justify and warrant another term and should just sit back and hopefully enjoy some of the rewards likely to flow from some of the long overdue upheavals at EFC.

4 Likes