Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

What a fkn dumbass

This…I can’t…

Here’s a question that must be on the verge of some people’s minds over there.
To what extent does this country actually need a President?
Given what we have now.

Interesting article on Trump’s new economic adviser. It points out how he just kept getting forecasts wrong, and switching arguments to try and claim that tax cuts were the driver. This feeds into the concerns over Trump getting “the best people”, but also more widely on how out of sync with historical facts the Republican Party’s economic agenda really is.

Trump’s New Economic Adviser Lawrence Kudlow Has Been Wrong About Everything for Decades

1 Like

EDIT - I loved this comment in the article:
“To say what he is doing is mind games would be like calling a monkey throwing his feces art,” said Pfeiffer. “I don’t think he knows what he is doing.”

Former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe fired at 10pm on Friday night DC time via press release, and 2 days before retirement so no pension after 21 years served. AG Sessions did the firing citing a Justice department Inspector General report. Trump however has made his animus towards McCabe well known for months and the President’s public comments undermine the case that it was a non-partisan procedural decision. McCabe says he has been singled out because of what he saw and did vis a vis Comey’s firing. Trump is crowing about it on Twitter and himself linking McCabe to Comey.

Your first line is why he was fired, no pension.

He would have turned 50 on 18 March and then able to access his pension. Now his pension is frozen for 7-12 years.

1 Like

That’s the punishment, not the why.

1 Like

Surely passing this many people off, someone’s gonna tip the bucket on him, and it’ll stick a bit more than the previous ones.

The McCabe firing (something Trump has been threatening via Twitter for months) is a vindictive, vengeful act. Problem for Trump is that his penchant for wanting to “get even” blinds him to legal risks. That may work in a family run business but unfortunately he happens to be President. McCabe will appeal, he will speak out, and along with Comey will be yet another martyr for the rank and file of the FBI.

Good work, Donald.

And now, this:

“Based on the report of the Inspector General, the findings of the FBI Office of Professional Responsibility, and the recommendation of the Department’s senior career official, I have terminated the employment of Andrew McCabe effective immediately”, Sessions said.

So lets be crystal clear here.
Three separate investigations recommended he be fired so obviously there is justification. The timing of it is irrelevant. If an employee is deserving of being sacked, then you sack them.

Fake news

1 Like

Those reports aren’t publicly available as yet. There may well have been justification for McCabe’s firing. Then again for being not exactly honest or forthcoming with Congress the Sessions himself simply recused from the Trump/Russia investigation rather than resigned, and that is similar to what McCabe is accused of. The question is how much of a role Trump played by leaning on Sessions for personal reasons, Trump is on the record as being a fan of vengeance. If McCabe sues then Trump’s public comments before and after will be used against the government.

It looks like McCabe will be hired by a member of Congress to complete his service and qualify for his pension.

So Trump leant on the the FBI’s own office of Professional Responsibility to make up evidence to have McCabe sacked. Then he leant on the Inspector General.

Effectively Trump has got dozens of people to lie for him to have a FBI official sacked that wasn’t doing him any harm anyway.

Lets try and be sensible.

Being sensible would have likely seen you respond differently to my post.

I make no aspersions against those two offices. As I said there may well have been justification. Those reports are not public to my knowledge.

The question relates to Trump’s long hostility to McCabe (or anyone involved in Trump/Russia who pops their head up) and in what sense his political and personal motivations impacted on Sessions’ decision making.

1 Like

Let’s try and be sensible.
The fwit had directed his puppet Sessions to fire a long serving (Republican) public servant firstly out of spite but secondly to intimidate other law enforcement. The message he wants to send is ‘if you do your job I will pay whatever political price to end your career’.
Let’s try and be sensible.

3 Likes

LOL at Trump.

McCabe will likely sue for a politically motivated dismissal. And, for a guy who himself threatens to sue anything that moves but rarely if ever does, it is going to be fun to see Trump squirm. McCabe has apparently kept detailed notes about his interactions with Trump (like Comey) and I bet Mueller is very interested in reading those too.

Although, should Trump use this as an excuse to fire Mueller maybe I will have to rephrase my opening line to “LOL at US democracy”…

1 Like

Trump in a Mueller twitter tanty now. Calling for the Special Counsel’s investigation to end.

This follows his lawyer John Dowd expressing the same opinion earlier, first saying he was speaking for the President, then saying he wasn’t.

Edit: additional context: according to Maggie Haberman at the NY Times Trump’s legal team recently received a list of question that the Special Counsel would be seeking answers to in an interview. She says it will be in a forthcoming story.

1 Like

“Let’s be sensible”. If ever there were a squirm inducing, condescending righty slogan it’s that one. So let’s be sensible, McCabe fired for ‘lack of candour’ by Trump puppet, Trump has been caught lying publicly 2140 times in his first year, presently continuing his accusations, already debunked, that McCabe’s wife was somehow complicit in some, already debunked, Hilary conspiracy. Presently utilising his smarmy lawyer as a mouthpiece for what is ramping up to a dictatorial elimination of all and any figures that could see him sat firmly on his fat lying corrupt ■■■■. Amazingly most of these, McCabe, Mueller for eg, are Republican. Let’s be sensible everyone. It’s 2018, Year of Sensible.

2 Likes