Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

The transcript of the NPR interview of Comey by Inskeep and Johnson is quite revealing. Seems he took a political decision influenced by media reporting in relation to the Clinton emails. He was not legally required to take such action.

1 Like

That was a really revealing moment. Essentially his excuse was that since Clinton was so far ahead in the polls and a shoo in he decided to be very explicit in the way he approached the email investigation in order to not have a compromised presidency.

Not his finest moment to put it mildly.

3 Likes

Fark

Just imagine how much better could the world have been if not for the disgrace of the “hanging shards” in Florida that gave the Presidency to that idiot GW, and the Comey action that gave the Presidency to that crook Trump.

3 Likes

It came down to GW’s “mate” in Florida, and then a 5 -4 duly paid for supreme court vote remember?

Crookedest thing since NIxon and Gough I’ve ever witnessed in my time, and straight away knew something was up.

When the planes hit the Towers, … it was my 2nd thought, … should have been the 1st.

1 Like

Yeah. - but notGW’s “mate” but his brother… that appointed appropriate “mates” to get the job done.

If not for that:

• no Iraq war
  • savings in war expenditures of trillions of dollars
  • reduced global terrorism
  • no treatment of EVERY plane traveller within our own country as a potential terrorist (despite Little Johnny promising he would “not let them change our way of life”)
  • savings of billions of taxpayers dollars paid to "security (sic) professionals (sic) whose only job is to treat airline passengers as likely terrorists
  • reduction in global climate crisis
  • etc
  • etc

True sliding doors moment.

Also, most likely no Global Financial Crisis.

Yeah, … that’s what the inverteds were for …

Agree with most of this, but the financial crisis would have happened anyway. Unrestrained financial industry bullshite was (and still is, to the most part) bipartisan policy over there. It was after all the Clinton administration (of which gore was the vp) which repealed the Glass-Steagal act, which was one of the main restraints on financial shenanigans. The bush admin took things even further, but the dems aren’t remotely free of responsibility for the gfc either.

4 Likes

Yes to all that. I definitely don’t blame it just on Republicans but don’t think it would have unraveled to the point it did.

Like many things in the USA, the Financial Laws are a deep mystery.Some things have little or no regulation, but others have levels of bureaucracy that are just crazy.

Both Democrats and Republicans follow the same free market mantra, and making your fortune is their basis for the work ethic.

Just like here, Banks do what they want, but without the safeguards. The GFC was due to greed and following the dream, and no democratic Government could have stopped it.

The Inspector General’s report on Andrew McCabe, fmr Deputy Director FBI, was released. Quite interesting, as an article in National Review suggests, everyone’s narrative took a hit, whether Trumpian, Democrat, Republican, or Melty-Cheesian. There does seem to be credible evidence he mislead or lied to Comey about leaking, but those leaks by McCabe and Page (both labelled deep state agents acting against Trump by those prone to that sort of thing), were damaging to Clinton’s campaign.

1 Like

It’s moments like that make me almost religious. As in end of days, almost scripted.

Disagree. Bush Gov deliberately loosened the law and oversight of the sector so the sub prime thing could occur.

There’s a 6 part ( I think .?) series by Niall Ferguson that is the definitive document on the GFC that is well worth watching.

The “John Barron” conversation is hilarious.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/trump-lied-to-me-about-his-wealth-to-get-onto-the-forbes-400-here-are-the-tapes/2018/04/20/ac762b08-4287-11e8-8569-26fda6b404c7_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3c9407ea4aed

5 Likes

Wells Fargo was just issued a $1 Billion dollar fine.

What a guy.

1 Like

Not that it excuses what is pretty much the most disingenuous and fake congratulatory note you’ll read, but what the muppet is trying to say is he’s a very busy president and it’s tough to get the time to watch you gross semi-people jumping around between Fox News and golfing at my own resort which receives hundreds of thousands of dollars every day I staying there - which is half of the time.

3 Likes

Netanyahu’s elderly documents on Iran did not get much of a bump US would have had access to them from the outset.

1 Like

Here are the questions Mueller wants to ask Trump. They are fascinating in the way they range from what he as “thinking” to what he actually “did”. No wonder Trump’s ex-lawyers were insistent it was a very bad idea for him to sit down to answer them.

What a ridiculous set of questions.

What was your opinion?
What was your reaction?
How did you feel?

Mueller should be sitting on the couch with Oprah going by those sets of questions. How Trump felt or reacted has no bearing on a binary issue of guilt or innocence.

But again, not surprising that the Left eat this sort of nonsense up. They certainly love focusing on the banal and the trivial.