Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Has there ever been a non-violent pacifistic movement that hasn’t been aided by a more militant, violent and threatening group?

Black Panthers legitimised MLK and made those in power listen to him. The Abolitionists and the Emancipationists had a similar dynamic. Indian Independence movement certainly had lots of reactionary revolutionary terrorism throughout the 20th century.

Violent resistance to occupation is inevitable, and when the oppressed are outmatched by their oppressors then they will usually resort to acts of terror. Violent rebellion doesn’t usually succeed in it’s own right, and it often leads to greater levels of oppression, but it is usually necessary for peaceful movements to succeed.

Israel/Palestine apartheid is an unusual issue as the oppressors, in this case, are one of the more historically oppressed people in the world, one with a lot of ‘goodwill’ in the bank. Whereas the Palestinians, being predominantly Muslim, don’t have the same luxury. Similar to the Rohingya in Myanmar.

2 Likes

His apology was due to the (predictable IMO) reaction in certain quarters twisting his words to smear him as an anti-semite

I’m confused by some of your post - why are you referencing Trump?

Some people here who use the word a lot should really look up the definition of anti-semitism.

(edit: not in response to FO50)

Gandhi??

I was referencing his comment on Trump, that was his twitter comment not my words.

Not sure you know what it means, or most people in here.

That’s his point though, Ghandi benefited by the violent groups as the British were more inclined to deal with him and his demands than they were the militant groups.

You never saw him when he got angry…

But seriously there were more people involved than just Gandhi some of them weren’t as opposed to violence as the great man.

This article summarises the more violent parts of the indian independance movement

1 Like

Oh right - it was hard to follow in your post.

Back to my original point - CNN fired Hill without allowing himself to clarify / defend his position. This is akin to censorship which was based on a total distortion of a small portion of his speech. I’m not sure how this can be viewed otherwise.

No, I was reading a few different articles and they all said the same thing, this was the final straw in a long series of issues they had with him. Not a once off sacking.

Mike Flynn has been singing like a canary. 19 interviews.

1 Like

lel

My grand dad was sent to prison for 3months for attending a Gandhi rally that was banned. He always said that he would gladly have picked up a “lathi” (heavy stick) to fight since he had friends doing far more radical violence. But, the duty of farming and providing for his family came first.

4 Likes

It’s an interesting read but in the end it doesn’t offer much up (which is fair enough as Mueller is doing the right thing and keeping stuff quiet as he should).

Violence is the natural reaction to oppression, which is why MLK and Gandhi are so great and rightfully revered.

Hell, if you believe in the bible or the historical figure, Jesus was a pacifistic revolutionary too, he was also killed

1 Like

He was and he wasn’t. He attacked his opponents with a whip that he specifically built so he could. He advised his disciples to carry a sword.

However he also told Simon Peter off for using a sword, he told his disciples that if your enemy strikes you to turn the other cheek, etc.

He has also said when he comes back there will be no holds barred on what happens.

tHat tWo FacEd PriCk!!

Nah mate, bi polar.

Hes farked. I’m starting to believe

LOL

What a ■■■■■■■ moron.

For those that are also thick as pigshit, G-20.in

4 Likes