Missing/crashed planes, and other aviation mis/adventures

a piece of a wing doesnt give them closure there are still alot of unanswered questions

a piece of a wing doesnt give them closure there are still alot of unanswered questions

But the big question: “Are my loved ones still alive somewhere?” would be answered.

1 Like

It appears they are getting much closer to finding out what happened and in the second half of the article speculate that they are also close to finding what is left of the plane. Good in depth article.

That’s an interesting read - thanks for posting.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/08/exclusive-mh370-was-crippled-by-sudden-electrical-failure.html

It appears they are getting much closer to finding out what happened and in the second half of the article speculate that they are also close to finding what is left of the plane. Good in depth article.

In depth! Nice oner, Captain.

Another bit found off Mozambique.

Nice sand they have there in Mozambique.

so they even placed a sign down saying not to step on it

so they even placed a sign down saying not to step on it

Don’t step on the sand, is that like keep off the grass?

This is amazing. Worth the read.

5 Likes

Verrrrrrrrry long.

Spoiler: it says most likely scenario is the older pilot committing murder-suicide. Which is what was being widely speculated early on, and is an unacceptable answer for the state-owned company.

@Lost_Pilgrim wins:
Malaysian Airlines MH370 missing

1 Like

So if I read all that correctly, the senior pilot has a flight Sim at home , within which he has loaded a flight program for a diversion from a Beijing destination around Sumatra and then south into the Indian Ocean. All of which appears to be born out by the scant satellite data that is available for the real flight.

Unless this is the ultimate double blind, i don’t think “most likely” is quite definitive enough…

The most bizarre thing in my mind is the chosen method of suicide. Why fly it to the very limits into the middle of nowhere? Unless he left a note somewhere, or the police/Gov have hidden detail, I doubt we’ll ever know. But forensic pyschologists will pore over this case for decades. Surely no one psychotic enough to be willing to murder 300 people in that fashion - relatively ‘peaceful’ via loss of consciousness or no, there’d have been a moment when they all realised they were doomed) leaves absolutely no trace of said mental illness in the lead up. The article is probably spot on when it suggests that the Malaysian police must know far more than they’ve let on.

One interesting point on this seemingly recent phenomenon of pilot murder/suicide is that it’s probably far easier now. The intruder proof cockpit doors become a double edged sword once a hostile (whoever that may be) presence has control of the cockpit. And in the old days there would have been a flight engineer present in the cockpit too, which makes the “just go check on the cabin so I can lock you out” tactic more problematic for a single rogue individual to use.

2 Likes

Didn’t airlines make a new rule after the Germanwings pilot crashed a plane into a mountain on purpose a while back.

The rule was changed to their has to be 2 pilots in the cockpit at all times during a flight.

a pilot and someone else yes, but Germanwings was post MH 370.

That’s not going to stop one of the pilots knocking the other on the head either.

Indonesia’s Sriwijaya Air loses contact with Boeing plane carrying more than 60 people after Jakarta takeoff

@Aceman mentioned in the travel thread that they’ve found debris which they believe belongs to that plane.

Awful.

Heard that some fishermen have found debris in the area. 56 passengers and 6 crew onboard

An Indonesian passenger plane has just gone missing after taking off from Jakarta.

Sriwijaya Air, they have just found debris.
Dropped 3000m in under a minute.
Would think there would be no survivors