Marijuana legalisation

And then the main reasons against are that it's hard or perhaps impossible to test for at say a booze bus situation, and that it's a "gateway drug". Personally I'd say some slapper who's had a litre of Vodka would be more suggestible to some other drugs than someone who's high but yeah that's what they say. I also think removing the illegality of it takes away from a lot of the "gateway drug" factor.

I'm going to try and not buy into this thread ..... fair chance it'll do my head in. But ......... this whole "gateway drug" thing is just preposterous. Which rabid loony came up with that? Because in a country like Australia/America etc the "gateway drug," if there were such a thing, would be alcohol. That's where everyone starts.

Lol, yeah, I'm biting my blitz tongue too with this thread, but gateway drug really ■■■■■■ me off.
Really, you went straight to pot before you did smack? Just totally skipped ciggies and alcohol?

WizFiz, the original gateway drug.

Also most of the new ways they are selling pot in the US do not require smoking, you vaporize it , or mostly eat it (lollies, chocolates, ice-creams, butters)

1 Like

WizFiz, the original gateway drug.

Also most of the new ways they are selling pot in the US do not require smoking, you vaporize it , or mostly eat it (lollies, chocolates, ice-creams, butters)

Is that the same as having a few sherbets?

And I think you left out cookies and brownies...you always need a supply of those for when the Mormons or the Jehovahs come calling.

“Its not a war on drugs, its a war on personal freedom"

etc. etc.

■■■■ personal freedom. There's no such thing.

“Its not a war on drugs, its a war on personal freedom"
etc. etc.

Surprised it took till page 2 for a bill hicks quote to appear...

“Its not a war on drugs, its a war on personal freedom"
etc. etc.

Surprised it took till page 2 for a bill hicks quote to appear...

I happened to see it in the toilet cubicle at work this morning.

High Times launches private equity fund for marijuana investment

Executives at High Times, a New York publication that has covered the marijuana scene for four decades, are launching a new private-equity fund expected to boost Colorado's newest industry.

The HT Growth Fund plans to raise $100 million over the next two years to invest in cannabis-related businesses.

With Colorado the first state to legalize the sale of recreational marijuana, firms based here are in line to snag a large share of that investment money.

"What we are looking to do is provide capital and credit to companies that are established and have grown and reached their potential as much as they can without access to traditional capital markets," said Michael Safir, managing director of the new fund and former business manager of High Times.

Investments are expected to be from $2 million to $5 million per company, making HT Growth more of a venture-capital or private-equity firm rather than an angel investor.

Safir said the fund is looking for "best of breed" businesses with strong management teams. Although it will consider marijuana cultivation and retailers, the fund's focus will be primarily on ancillary businesses.

"If you are running a cannabis business, you aren't getting (a Small Business Administration) loan, you don't have bank accounts," Safir said. "It is hard to grow when you don't have the tools."

Though a separate entity from High Times, the fund will use the expertise the company has built up over the years to pick investments and advise management teams on strategy. Other than the investments targeted, HT Growth will operate like a traditional private-equity fund, Safir said.

Other firms have announced plans to handle early-stage funding. California-based ArcView Investor Network, which matches entrepreneurs and investors, said in late September that it planned to provide more than $1 million to marijuana-related companies in Colorado.

Denver-based MassRoots, a social network for the medical-cannabis community, said Thursday it had closed on a $150,000 seed investment from ArcView.

ArcView estimates that the country's legalized cannabis market, valued at $1.44 billion last year, could grow to $2.34 billion this year and reach $10.2 billion over the next five years as other states join Colorado and Washington in legalizing recreational marijuana use.

Read more: High Times launches private equity fund for marijuana investment - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_24844193/high-times-launches-fund-cannabis-investment#ixzz2pZbHdQll 

For any budding investors.

High Times launches private equity fund for marijuana investment

Executives at High Times, a New York publication that has covered the marijuana scene for four decades, are launching a new private-equity fund expected to boost Colorado's newest industry.

The HT Growth Fund plans to raise $100 million over the next two years to invest in cannabis-related businesses.

With Colorado the first state to legalize the sale of recreational marijuana, firms based here are in line to snag a large share of that investment money.

"What we are looking to do is provide capital and credit to companies that are established and have grown and reached their potential as much as they can without access to traditional capital markets," said Michael Safir, managing director of the new fund and former business manager of High Times.

Investments are expected to be from $2 million to $5 million per company, making HT Growth more of a venture-capital or private-equity firm rather than an angel investor.

Safir said the fund is looking for "best of breed" businesses with strong management teams. Although it will consider marijuana cultivation and retailers, the fund's focus will be primarily on ancillary businesses.

"If you are running a cannabis business, you aren't getting (a Small Business Administration) loan, you don't have bank accounts," Safir said. "It is hard to grow when you don't have the tools."

Though a separate entity from High Times, the fund will use the expertise the company has built up over the years to pick investments and advise management teams on strategy. Other than the investments targeted, HT Growth will operate like a traditional private-equity fund, Safir said.

Other firms have announced plans to handle early-stage funding. California-based ArcView Investor Network, which matches entrepreneurs and investors, said in late September that it planned to provide more than $1 million to marijuana-related companies in Colorado.

Denver-based MassRoots, a social network for the medical-cannabis community, said Thursday it had closed on a $150,000 seed investment from ArcView.

ArcView estimates that the country's legalized cannabis market, valued at $1.44 billion last year, could grow to $2.34 billion this year and reach $10.2 billion over the next five years as other states join Colorado and Washington in legalizing recreational marijuana use.

Read more: High Times launches private equity fund for marijuana investment - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_24844193/high-times-launches-fund-cannabis-investment#ixzz2pZbHdQll 

For any budding investors.

Budding huh? Get off the grass, this thread has gone to pot. The whole joint's crazy.

It would only cut out cartels if it's cheaper... i'm not sure that it is at the moment... not that i'd know...

I'd be happy to legalise a certain amount per person, but i'm also in favour of the same thing for alcohol. 

And then the main reasons against are that it's hard or perhaps impossible to test for at say a booze bus situation, and that it's a "gateway drug". Personally I'd say some slapper who's had a litre of Vodka would be more suggestible to some other drugs than someone who's high but yeah that's what they say. I also think removing the illegality of it takes away from a lot of the "gateway drug" factor.

I'm going to try and not buy into this thread ..... fair chance it'll do my head in. But ......... this whole "gateway drug" thing is just preposterous. Which rabid loony came up with that? Because in a country like Australia/America etc the "gateway drug," if there were such a thing, would be alcohol. That's where everyone starts.

Mothers milk! No, seriously, mothers milk could probably be the real gateway drug for everything, technically...colostrum

Mothers milk! No, seriously, mothers milk could probably be the real gateway drug for everything, technically...colostrum

My mum can be a bit of a cow at times.

Pot is a hell of a lot tamer than the synthetic legal highs you can buy here.

Like what?

“Its not a war on drugs, its a war on personal freedom"

etc. etc.

We don't have freedom, we have privileges.

Like what?

Like the stuff they sell at some tobacconists and sex shops.

Like what?
Like the stuff they sell at some tobacconists and sex shops.

Um, those things at the sex shop...youree not supposed to smoke them, just sayin

Ironically, the guy who stabbed the homeless bloke down by the river the other day is drug-addicted and mentally ill. His lawyer says it's cannabis.

his lawyer said it was cannabis withdrawal and an undiagnosed mental illness. Sounds like grasping at straws.

his lawyer said it was cannabis withdrawal and an undiagnosed mental illness. Sounds like grasping at straws.

Could well be. Drug or alcohol influence used to make your crimes worse...now some people see it as an excuse.

Undiagnosed mental illness....yeah right.

Could well be. Drug or alcohol influence used to make your crimes worse...now some people see it as an excuse.

Undiagnosed mental illness....yeah right.

I came 'off' regular pot smoking periods a few times at around the same age. Once i decided to stop it was only the nicotine withdrawal that caused any type of 'withdrawl' like symptoms. i wasn't a cigarette smoker but used to mix in tobacco which was stupid as you then get addicted to the nicotine.