Marriage is totally Gay

You all got sucked in to another irrelevant tangent by Tripper again.

2 Likes

There is Jason Ball (not senior AFL player though). He came out as gay in 2012. Donā€™t know of any others though.

But this sort of thing isnā€™t about numbers or statistics. It is very possible to not have gay AFL players on any list at any given time. Has there been any? Maybe, although you would think in this climate that admitting they were in the past would be a lot easier than doing it in the past so I am surprised no one has. So it is possible none were. It is also possible that they simply are not comfortable enough to do so.

The reason why we may not have any could be down to simply the drive of the person to be an elite sportsperson. Maybe the inclination hasnā€™t been there to this point? Maybe it is the type of boys environment that makes it uncomfortable so they havenā€™t even tried. Maybe it is all that and more.

It will change one day though.

First, before Wim gets in, it is moot point.

This has been discussed further up. The Libs are already making sure laws are being looked at to limit this as well as existing laws covering some of it.

As for running a business: if you have a shop that sells, you really shouldnā€™t be saying you wonā€™t serve people based on some religious reason. If you are going to do that then donā€™t open the business to the wider public but do it from home and only advertise to churches.

It is also not a valid reason not to serve someone in my opinion. There is also no Biblical basis for doing so, not a single verse. If we didnā€™t do things because it might mean we are supporting their viewpoint, we couldnā€™t serve anyone who isnā€™t a Christian.

Except that itā€™s not. As I pointed out in the original post, the odds of not having a single gay player on any list is extremely, low. Itā€™s basically negligibly.

I donā€™t believe that the drive simply hasnā€™t been there. Certainly not enough that I could believe it explains the numbers that we havenā€™t seen.

Other than that, I think that youā€™re other points are just reinforcing the point that I was making.

This has been illegal for quite some time. You canā€™t refuse service based on sexual orientation.

What about if they like pinapple on their pizza? sub humans tbh

Hey! Now thatā€™s not nice, pineapple on pizza is gooood stuff man.

1 Like

Id have thought this was fairly straight forward. If your business is actually the getting of people married -church, priest, celebrant etc - then i think you retain the right to veto couples. Heck, the priest at my wedding apparently could have said no, he didnt think we were suitable!! Total bollocks imo, but there you go.

If your business is the baking of cakes then i cant see how you can justify refusal of service any more than , say, a barman refusing to serve an Indian, Asian, Indigenous because ā€œwe dont serve your kind hereā€. We already exist within a framework of anti-discrimination laws.

not only that, but i find the whole ā€˜if i serve a same sex couple and i dislike same sex marriage, by serving them I am forced to assimilateā€™ argument, a bit puerile- what are you assimilating to? i dont get it, you provide services, you dont have to personally subscribe to the views and customs of your customers in order to provide them a service

But donā€™t you get it? if you sell a coffee to a gay couple, youā€™re basically saying here go have some ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  as a side.

No other laws will change.

If you can do something now, you can still do it.

If you canā€™t do something now, you still canā€™t do it.

The marriage act will change subject to a vote in parliament.

This is the beginning and end of changes to law.

2 Likes

The lawsuit bit imo is more about allowing idiotic lawsuits in the first place. Particularly overseas, the legal systems need some reforming.

You forgot to mention the Copulation With Dogs and Other Beasts Act 2018, which of course the inevitable consequence of SSM.

3 Likes

"I canā€™t decide if i love darren more or little totoā€¦ā€™

In this day an age of social media, could you image a business even allowing their brand to take a strong stand and refuse service based on preference.

Unless you are an business that does not offer a direct service for say a man and man to get married no business would try and push themselves down that track.

If they do refuse they will be out a business and a customer base very soon. Competition is too high to try and be a niche anti-lgbtiq business.

The way they will get around it is in the same way businesses discriminate on people based on gender, background, colour, etc and try and tailor what they offer or who they employ away from certain types of people.

Brand Image is everything and online it is worth so much more than it used to, which means taking a negative stance cost you dearly.

Due to the negative publicity it seems, AFL took their yes sign down this morning. Oh, and they received a bomb threat. http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/afl-house-evacuated-after-threat-20170921-gylu9a.html

Iā€™m gonna guess the threat didnā€™t come from Northcote.

2 Likes

Also their sign was vandalised too.

Whycantwehaveboth.gif

The Marriage Act confers absolute discretion to religious bodies in deciding who to marry ( subject to minimum age, monogomay and family connections)
. Among other things, the Sexual Discrimination Act prohibits discrimination according to marital status, but does not affect the rights of religious bodies under the Marriage Act.
IIRC, the Coalition has signalled that any legislation to permit SSM would require new protections, but it has not specified what they might be. As yet, I have not seen any elaboration.
Re the floodgates, the only examples I have seen are the bakers in the US and the adoption agencies in England, On the latter, the ruling on discrimination was made under the Homosexual Rights Act, predating the SSM legislation.

1 Like

Wow. So you have contempt for almost anyone with a different perspective or viewpoint.

And Yes voters wonder why what should essentially be a $1.02 chance is now a $1.50 chance.

Learn from Trump & Brexit. People donā€™t appreciate being abused for holding a different opinion. And sensible, average people donā€™t like seeing people abused and bullied either. The natural human reaction will always be to push back.