Mason and Max - gridiron men

Fletch told me yesterday that Mason failed his driving license test - hahaha - because he went over the speed limit…

4 Likes

How good was it to have Fletcher back?, glad he has a role at the club now.
I bet he was missing the place.

1 Like

He’d have the pedigree to kick long bombs.

1 Like

So Mason has quit football?

That’s what it says.

Good luck lad.

Change thread title to Max.

3 Likes

Seems really odd that he’s just given it up, was he told he wasn’t getting drafted?

Maybe. The article says he’d had a lot of back problems, and draft prospects were diminishing.

Seems to have made a pragmatic choice that could get him a fantastic education for free, and possibly lead to Millions more than he could get playing AFL , even he was best 22 for 10 years, … with about 5% of the injury worries. (If you take out the odds of getting shot on American College grounds.)

5 Likes

Good choice. Avoids the embarrassment of not being drafted. Pretty mediocre footballer, but his leg should give him a shot in merica.

3 Likes

So in other words, he’s just no good?

like most father sons

No good is probably not fair, but we didn’t consider him good enough, at this point in time, to draft.

Those I know who have done US College have had a fantastic time, so hopefully he gets a college gig, and then takes it from there.

So can we bring 31 back then? Been gone too long.

It really is tough to make the top level in sports. AFL provides a lot of opportunities compared to lots of sports, but it’s still very very tough.

I once was talking to someone who was in the AIS for their sport, and was obviously really really good compared to almost anyone else. He had his whole career plan worked out, and put a lot of pressure on himself to “make it”, because (in his words) “I have nothing else”.

Unfortunately, although really really good, he also didn’t have it and so didn’t manage to make a career, at least on a professional competitor level, out of the sport.

It’s so brutal on these kids, who really are just kids with dreams. (and especially in individual sports)

6 Likes

Yeah if he ends up with a scholarship he can end up with a pretty decent education at worst. Good luck to the lad

At one time Fletch said that he would try out as a punter when he retired from EFC. I guess by that time he was considered too old for the NFL.

It can definitely give you opportunities.

12 Likes

Best of luck to him

1 Like

Doesnt sound like we were very interested if hes going to try out for american football.

considering we are pretty deperate for more KPP depth now, there was probably little interest from anyone.

good luck to him.

If he’s got a College Scholarship, why wouldn’t you take the opportunity.

If Punting falls through, you end up with a free education abroad…and can always come back to football.

The likelyhood he’d be a Rookie pick up, and wouldn’t be considered for senior football for 3-4 years anyway.

1 Like