MATCH REPORT - Intra 21/01 - WE WON

Thanks for the reports, everyone! Great stuff for those of us who couldn't be there.

Would it be fair to say that Kelly and Gleeson seem to have locked in the spots off HBF, with McKenna (and possibly Dea) the biggest challengers thus far?

I reckon it will be

bags Hurley ambrose
Kelly Hartley Gleeson

INT: conor

Yeah, interesting to see whether they go with a negating player like Ambrose or a ball-winning rebounder in Dea as that third tall option.

Exciting times if Mckenna can end up playing like Pearce Hanley off the HBF.

Thanks for the reports, everyone! Great stuff for those of us who couldn't be there.

Would it be fair to say that Kelly and Gleeson seem to have locked in the spots off HBF, with McKenna (and possibly Dea) the biggest challengers thus far?

I reckon it will be

bags Hurley ambrose
Kelly Hartley Gleeson

Yeah, interesting to see whether they go with a negating player like Ambrose or a ball-winning rebounder in Dea as that third tall option.

Personally I think that balance is about right

Negative: ambrose, bags, Harts
Both ways: Gleeson, Kelly, hurls
Attn: Conor

Of course it is a bit simplistic to put it in such terms and I’m not quite convinced that DEA sits in the both ways category, I think he is primarily a defender

Watched most of the game today, thought Green looked fantastic, really surprised me by how good he was. Tippa had a moment of magic to kick a goal and make the defenders look silly. Jake long at one stage made time stand still on the wing, running through heavy traffic untouched.
The other thing I noticed is the Fridge is a huge unit. Looked a step behind but when he picks up the speed he is ready to go build wise.

Love to know those with such strong opinions, have even played footy at any reasonable level.

Does it matter?

■■■■ yeah.

Watched most of the game today, thought Green looked fantastic, really surprised me by how good he was. Tippa had a moment of magic to kick a goal and make the defenders look silly. Jake long at one stage made time stand still on the wing, running through heavy traffic untouched. The other thing I noticed is the Fridge is a huge unit. Looked a step behind but when he picks up the speed he is ready to go build wise.

Said he will kick 30 and ensure Tippa and Fanta get utilised more often upfield

Love to know those with such strong opinions, have even played footy at any reasonable level.

Does it matter?

■■■■ yeah.

You may be on the wrong forum. Just saying.

I reckon it will be

bags Hurley ambrose
Kelly Hartley Gleeson

Here’s the thing. Both the backline and forward line went with only 2 talls. Now I know that we had a bunch of our talls at purgatory. But still, I thought it was very interesting.

Just maybe we are going to go with 2 talls, a medium and 3 smalls in both the forward and backlines.

What makes that really interesting is that Hartley got left out of what I felt was the first choice back 6, and they played Hurley and Ambrose as the KPD’s.

Didn’t see it coming myself, but maybe we are going for heaps of run.

Great news to hear about the solid play of Gleeson. Like! Thanks for the reports cobbers.

Does it matter?

■■■■ yeah.

How do you know it matters?

Does it matter?

■■■■ yeah.

Apparently if you have not played you are unable to be a student of the game. Does 3rds and 4ths count to warrant an opinion? After that I got fat and slow.

McKennna and Gleeson taking the HBF spots throws the whole B22 into disarray. Going to be some disappointed lads in the EFC.

Does it matter?

■■■■ yeah.

I know a bloke who learned to take party drugs from his time on an AFL list and bugger-all else.
Spare me the ‘special knowledge’ stuff.

Listening to half of former sports persons commentate their sport is an exercise in torture.

McKenna is best 18. He’s line breaking ability is huge. His disposal exceptional. Given defending this year will be more about covering space than a man, this fits into his style of play perfectly.

30 year old Baguley after his knee last year may be struggling for pace? Is this his last year? Dea to take his spot?

McKennna and Gleeson taking the HBF spots throws the whole B22 into disarray. Going to be some disappointed lads in the EFC.

Doesnt matter who takes those spots there will be about 21 lads who will be disappointed.

If Baguley is struggling to make our 22 then we are in mighty good shape!

I didn’t watch today (thanks to those who did and are reporting) but I’m sure that Bags knows what he is doing, and is going to slot in nicely in our backline in Rd 1

Irish. Outstanding attacking attitude and disposal, excellent run and carry, defensive ability man on man needs work. Its pretty clearly the area that will keep him out of the best 22 at the moment, but is on the cusp..

I agree. But does he have to be a defender? We seem to try to turn all of our fringe or up and coming medium/smalls into HBFers. It is probably because it is seen as the easiest position to play and transition into the best 22 in the modern game. But really, why wouldn’t Connor play wing, with less defensive man on man responsibility?

He's just short.

Way shorter than I expected.

As a backman, McGrath’s height could be a problem, as it was last year with Tippa. But he was drafted with the intent that he would be a midfielder, and if things go to plan, that’s where he will end up, and his lack of height will be less of an issue.

I agree RE Jerret. I thought he looked really lively off half back especially early on. Got involved a fair bit.

Jerret is similar to Conor as a HBF prospect. Both offer quality offensive output, but in both cases their ability to compete successfully man on man with a quality forward is questionable. How would they go against say Gunstone (a difficult match up admittedly), Clay Smith, Breust, StevieJ, Le Cras, Garlett etc?