Match Review - Eagles

I'm sorry but I just don't buy into the ASADA/mental stress argument...it's way too convenient an excuse for what has been a trio of incredibly inept performances.
The 22 on the park each week are being paid big dollars to actually turn up and put in an effort....that effort has been sadly lacking in recent times.
Also, how many years running has it now been that we have continued to butcher our inside 50's....that's not a stress issue...it's a skills issue.
Anyway...bugger this crap....a few more weeks and we won't have to worry again until next year.

Couldn't agree more.
The investigation has nothing to do with putting in an effort to get the ball or chasing an opponent and putting on pressure.
It is a fitness and 'I can't really be bothered' thing.
Last year and this year it looks as if after round 14-15 when we line up for the first bounce of the game we look as if we have played a game an hour previous. The fitness isn't there and for an AFL team to not be capable of playing the minimum games required of them isn't good enough. This point is proven even more by the fact the same thing has occured for the last 3 years.
Also Kommer, Baguley and Hardingham should not be playing. We aren't getting anywhere with these players in the team.
Off season to do list:
- Trade Gumbleton
- Recruit an electric forward pocket player (D.Garlett, Tippa.)
- Replace Baguley.
- Try and get a Monfries/LeCras type player in to our forward line to replace Kommer.
- Try and get another gun/classy midfielder to rotate through the middle and forward line. (Have a look at D.Thomas, Cooney, Dal Santo etc)
I think next year there should be a backline something like this:
Fletcher, Hooker, Pears
Hibberd, Carlisle, Dempsey.
If Fletcher retires then swap him with Browne.

Winderlich should probably give it away.  Too bad considering he's our only forward worth a damn.

Is there players at other sides that are completely mismanaged like ours are?  Seriously, we saw it last week that Dempsey wasn't right & re-injured himself - out for the year, now a week later we did the same thing with an underdone Winders.  FFS why are we so completely incapable of managing injuries & have been for a very long time. Cooney couldn't walk last year - he went overseas & got it fixed, same with Reiwoldt yet we continue to do nothing with these hamstrung players who are injured every single year. 

I don't blame that dude for running on the ground. Twice.
I think we've all had enough.

This is it. The mental fatigue is really taking its toll on us all let alone the players.

The players look flat, not physically gone, just mentally gone. Perhaps they have been told something? Perhaps they believe that they wont be playing finals.

There was no intensity, no chasing, we just gave up. It is not acceptable, but it is also completely out of character for the way the team has played up until the Hawks game (which I believe they just had an unbelievable game).

It is easy to dismiss things as convenient, but none of us are going through it and perhaps with it nearing the end, and the fact the club is becoming more aggressive in its stance, the players are becoming more exposed to it.

How often do you see Jobe play with such little enthusiasm. They look like a  beaten team.

Off season to do list:
- Try and get a Monfries/LeCras type player in to our forward line to replace Kommer.

That number 6 at Port is in the Monfries mould, he looks alright, WSPHU.

That number 6 at Port is in the Monfries mould, he looks alright, WSPHU.

What a mess the past 12 months has been. That said he wouldn't be kicking goals if he was in our forward line.

Forward line is what´s killing us.  Entries in and structure.  We squandered all confidence building chances and threw away all reward for effort.  That's where the rot started.  Everything else caves in on top of that.

Couldn't agree more.
The investigation has nothing to do with putting in an effort to get the ball or chasing an opponent and putting on pressure.
Last year and this year it looks as if after round 14-15 when we line up for the first bounce of the game we look as if we have played a game an hour previous. The fitness isn't there and for an AFL team to not be capable of playing the minimum games required of them isn't good enough. This point is proven even more by the fact the same thing has occured for the last 3 years.
Also Kommer, Baguley and Hardingham should not be playing. We aren't getting anywhere with these players in the team.
Off season to do list:
- Trade Gumbleton
- Replace Baguley.
- Try and get another gun/classy midfielder to rotate through the middle and forward line. (Have a look at D.Thomas, Cooney, Dal Santo etc)
Fletcher, Hooker, Pears

Couldn't agree more.
Off season to do list:
- Trade Gumbleton
- Replace Baguley.
Fletcher, Hooker, Pears

Browne is rubbish at VFL level what makes you think he will help us at AFL level? Also, this suggests Hurley will be up forward. He isn't a premiership forward. Not even close. If he manages to actually play it should be in the position he starred in as an elite junior footballer. If there isn't room for him trade someone so there is.

I was at the hawthorn game watching from level 1 and as soon as the game ended i told my bomber friends that we were cooked and wont win another game for the season. Many laughed at me and said we will bounce back but 3 weeks later sadly it seems im correct. To be fair i dont think we played that bad but i think the big difference from essendon now to early season essendon is the change in defensive mind set. Players have seemed to have lost all sense of defensive awareness. I recall alot of players in post match interviews in the early round mention how they were proud and happy to keep the opposition team to a low score and it seemed to be a key goal for the team. We are getting large scores kicked against us yet our defence now compared to the early rounds is essentially the same (except dempey) Therefore fault has to lie in the midfield. Howlett, Stanton, Zaharakis, Myers, are not doing enough. 

Couldn't agree more.
Off season to do list:
- Trade Gumbleton
- Replace Baguley.
Fletcher, Hooker, Pears

Bags has been ■■■■■■ good this year I reckon. He was beaten easily today but has been pretty good. Actually don't think LeCras was a great match up as he's pretty good in the air for his size. I think this is the role we need Pears to play, and Bags for the genuine smalls.

Forward line is what´s killing us.  Entries in and structure.  We squandered all confidence building chances and threw away all reward for effort.  That's where the rot started.  Everything else caves in on top of that.

Spot on. Poor entries and structure.
Really seem to have zero system.
I understand they preach defence and that has been the focus, which is right, however I think it's time this was addressed. We'd want a ■■■■■■ better setup next year.

Bags has been fantastic this year!

Also just heard Fletcher is on report for his hit on Josh Hill i think it was. What a kent of a day!!!!

Out: Gumby (corky), Winderlich (hammy), Fletch (susp.)

In: Hurley, Crameri, Kavanagh

B: Pears Carlisle Baguley

HB: Hardingham Hooker Hibberd

C: Stanton Watson Zaharakis

HF: Goddard Hurley Crameri

F: Kommer Bellchambers Davey

R: Ryder Hocking Heppell

I/C: Melksham, Myers, Howlett

Sub: Kavanagh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo

Couldn't agree more.

You don't think the mental toll on the players is now having a physical affect? Don't know if you've ever been through any mental trauma or depression, but it eventually catches up with your physical condition and can knock you for six - and what the players are experiencing is akin to depression. As much as I don't like it being used as an excuse, the reality is the whole saga is influencing our on-field performance and disallowing us to run out games.

I too thought Baguley was fantastic today. I don’t believe this year is anything like last year…nor was last year anything like the previous year.

2011… We simply were not fit enough

2012 …ravaged by injury…training probably lessened to account for this

2013…where to start…mental pressure like that we have been subjected to cannot be dismissed. Our mids and backs have been sound but the continual rebound from the forward line has to take its toll. IMO loosing Licka today was a game changer.

This too will pass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo

Even that can't cheer me up. It's great but! Good post.

You don't think the mental toll on the players is now having a physical affect? Don't know if you've ever been through any mental trauma or depression, but it eventually catches up with your physical condition and can knock you for six - and what the players are experiencing is akin to depression. As much as I don't like it being used as an excuse, the reality is the whole saga is influencing our on-field performance and disallowing us to run out games.

Also, no business/club in world history has ever experienced what EFC have this year, every week. The players would be hearing people talk about this story everywhere they go.

But they are a strong group. Even still, it'd be draining at this point.

Also, no business/club in world history has ever experienced what EFC have this year, every week. The players would be hearing people talk about this story everywhere they go.

But they are a strong group. Even still, it'd be draining at this point.

But but but Caro said she has had this sort of pressure for 15 years..... :blink:

Not sure if has been mentioned but did Belly carry and injury into the game ?

Looked hampered in running to me and the folk around.