Match review for Win 2

Already downed half a bottle of blended whiskey listening to ABC post-game interviews. Heart rate has dropped to normal levels. Great final quarter, frustrating yet pleasing game. Ambrose, Brown, Hartley, Dea - defence was very very good today.

Zerrett
McKenna
Ambrose
Daniher just keeps presenting.
I’m recruiting Dea if it’s up to me.
Zaka played well in the absence of a tag.
Fanta would be a great mid but he’s 100 times more valuable to us as a forward.
Brown got it done at both ends today.

Essendon FC @EssendonFC
Woosha:“Maybe we’ll see Watson to Long to Daniher in the future.”

I just like the fact that we’re starting to plug the holes we’ve had for so many years. It’s painfully ironic what it’s taken to make progress though
small forward - on the way
speed of HB and thru middle - taking shape
skillful wingman (not that you really have wingman these days, but u know what I mean)

I knew we’d win that when I found out I had to go to the Gold Coast for work and miss a game, only to see that we were playing ■■■■■■ Gold Coast!

We were under siege in that third quarter and held them to three goals. Immense work in defense that set up our charge in the last.

Incidentally, fark you umpires.

Really proud of the team today, great to break the drought.

Ambrose is a star.

Don’t want to sour a good win, well done to the whole team for plugging away and grinding it out.

But…what am I missing that you’re seeing with Ambrose?

I recon you’re missing a bit of context. My mate bought round a six pack the other day for me and I called him exactly that. But he’s not. In fact he’s ■■■■■■ useless at the best of times.
In that moment though however, a star he very much was. Right up until he left all his empties on the floor and I copped it from the missus.

Dea just guarenteed himself a contract I reckon.

Brown’s best game of the year.

Umpires tried hard, but not for lack of frees given away… They just really sucked when the time came.

Good game all around

Called it.

Ambrose is a star.

Don’t want to sour a good win, well done to the whole team for plugging away and grinding it out.

But…what am I missing that you’re seeing with Ambrose?

I recon you’re missing a bit of context. My mate bought round a six pack the other day for me and I called him exactly that. But he’s not. In fact he’s ■■■■■■ useless at the best of times.
In that moment though however, a star he very much was. Right up until he left all his empties on the floor and I copped it from the missus.

So in short Ambrose is good for a sixer but make him clean up before leaving

I’ll tweet him now…

Where was the goal umpires sense if occasion calling the long set shot touched?

He has no ■■■■■■ idea. The Gold Coast bloke didn’t even make contact for mine. It may have been touched on the line, NO!

“Experts” still right about us having no wins for the year!

oh…

AMBROSE IS A STAR !!!

Hartley is, too.

They played in top form today, young and old.

Zaharakis finally got his finger out and turned in a 40-possession match. Was it because he wasn’t tagged ? Or was it because Goddard was out ?…

Although Zaharakis got the most possessions of anyone on the paddock, he wasn’t our best player; neither was Junior Merrett, despite his 38.

Our best was our new STAR, Paddy Ambrose.

He has no ■■■■■■ idea. The Gold Coast bloke didn’t even make contact for mine. It may have been touched on the line, NO!

I desperately wanted the replay to show the ump had ballsed it up but even the one eye that I was watching with had to admit the shot didn’t have the legs

metaphors successfully mixed and euphemisms plundered

Great to see Heppell tweet for the boys to “hang in there” during the game.

Stats the virtual opposite of several games we should have won this year. They had more inside 50 and shots but we won. Feels good.

And therein lies the secret of winning games.
You have to take your chances. You have to kick accurately. As far as I recall, we didn’t miss a shot we should have got in the last quarter, and GC missed a heap.
And, as well, you need a bit of luck. The umps today were just as awful as usual, but there was quite a bit of awful in our favour. The two rushed behinds in the last from McKenna and Gleeson were pretty glaring examples of what they are supposed to be penalising.
At last today we learnt to spill the ball when tackled if it is to your advantage.

WON TWICE NOW CAMPBELL BROWN YOU ■■■■■■■

Put the missus on notice I'm expecting babies every week next season. 100% strike rate.

Congrats.

3 VOTES: Mrs YT

Jake ‘n’ Bake the Suns…Long time between drinks but we got there.

You farkin’ beauty!!!

Highlights today…

• The back six were excellent today.
    69 inside 50’s to them and to restrict them to 69 points was outstanding.
    To also lose Hartley for a reasonable chunk of the game before he came back on was outstanding too.
    This makeshift lineup have combined together quite well in the second half of the season and will only get better next season with a couple more experienced heads down there.

• The run an carry on occasions from the half back line and through the centre corridor to set up a few goals, particularly in the first half, was exciting to watch.
    I believe this is the type of gameplan that Woosha’s been trying to teach and implement all year.
    Once we get our strongest line up back it’s going to be even more exciting to watch in the future once the forwardline woes are fixed.

• Individually, Zerrett was brilliant again and captained the club with aplomb.
    Says a lot about the character of the kid to perform so well after being given a massive responsibility so early in his career.

Great to see Zaka stand up today with 40 stats after having a lean couple of months.
Thanks to Rocket Eade’s incompetent coaching to not set a tag on him early and let Zaka get his confindence up from the start of the game. Once he did lay a tag on him Zaka was already flying and Matt Rosa’a role was rendered redundant by the time he tried to quell his influence.
Thanks again Rocket, maybe he can have a beer after the match with Bluey McKenna and let him know how much better they’re traveling since he’s taken over his gig.

Mitch Brown’s game was very good, more so in the second half at both ends of the ground.
Had an outstanding third qtr in defence before being swung up forward at the beginning of the final quarter where he set the ball rolling for a win with the monster goal from the 50 early on in that qtr.

Although he didn’t have much of the ball, Raz was dangerous whenever he got near it.
He really is a great spark for the team when we are looking for something to happen.
He’s fast becoming a bit of a legend for this side, farking love him.

Was very pleased with Jake Long’s debut today.
Never shirked an issue and put his body on the line which helped set up two or three goals.
Didn’t waste any possesions too whenever he got it.
Was so hoping that he scored that goalmin the final term to ice the game, but alas it wasn’t to be as that would’ve been the ideal fairytale beginning to his long and illustrious career here at the Dons.

Matthew Stokes played an absolute beauty of a game today.
He showed great leadership out there today directing the younger guys whilst collecting 32 posessions himself and generally helping Zerrett out in that leadership role.
Used the ball well too most of the time.

Hartley did very well, especially after coming back on from having his nose splattered all over his face.
Very gutsy effort.

JoeyD worked extremely hard again today and I loved his joyfull celebration with Jake when he scored that goal that Jake assisted him with.

Special mention to Craig Bird too who scored possibly the most important goal of the game and probably played an underrated match.
He’s not easily noticeable, as he isn’t an ouside flashy player, but my God he cracks in at the bottom of the packs and does a lot of the unrewarded donkey work that most would take for granted.
I’ve been pleased with his contribution this season despite the slow start, due to an injury interupted pre-season, that he’s put together in the back half of the year.

Gleeson was consistent all day today, and despite one or two errors that I believe gets unfairly pilloried for on here each week, played very well again.
Most of the goals that we got from our play that started from the half back line were started by him taking the game on with a bit of run and carry or a clever handpass to open the ground up for the side running forward.
Marty is a lot smarter footballer then some on here are willing to give him credit for.
Best 22 next season without a doubt for mine.

May have missed a few other obvious contributors today but overall despite a calamitous start, skills wise, by both teams today it was just fantastic to see the side show the spirit that they’ve shown all year and finally achieve a result that we’ve all been waiting for and being rewarded for it.

Augers well for the future.

Go Dons!!!