Match review vs the cats

People are disappointed? That was a magnificent effort for 3/4 quarters and then we tired badly in the last due to LAV and kids.

Good luck to Bellchambers getting a gig if Looneyburger is in this form. He was fantastic all day and surprisingly nimble for such a big man, gets involved at ground level and is often that standing link between our fast running players. Well done to him, he’s proving a few wrong.

Zerrett’s a gun. Genuinely. Does everything and anything and the only reason he won’t canter it in in the B&F is thanks to a challenge from Zaka. Zerrett, Zaka, Fantasia and Parish were all fantastic and will all be our own FAB 4. Fantasia is lightening and good in tight situations, Parish is just awesome (but does tire in last quarters, expectedly) and the other two Zs are boderline A grade gun midfielders. They actually had Geelong rattled they were playing well for so long until they tired later on.

Credit where it’s due to Cooney who I thought played well, and also to Bird who I actually noticed for the first time at Essendon and played his best game for the club. 11 contested possessions. Tippa again, was fantastic. Literally the most composed player in our side and I’m always calm when he has the ball, can’t wait to see him stream through on Anzac Day.

Dea is a tackling machine and thought he played well again, whilst Kelly too was reliable. Gleeson is a genuine stick and it’s a shame because he can play well but then he treated with contempt when oppisition players push him over with a simple fend off. I don’t know if he’ll make it, for every good thing he does that makes me nod my head he’ll do something silly. Most of that is due to body size. Goddard was OK but made some silly decisions, including centreing a ball to a contest when he should have had a shot. Brown has the least presence I’ve seen a forward have, but he kicked a goal and had 7 marks o he did his job.

Downsides were the injury to LAV who looked good early, Daniher who was well beaten all day and had no influence, Ambrose who probably should be dropped. McKenna also seemed overrawed and it’ll be interesting to see if Worsfold persists or drops him (his game does deserve a dropping). Bit harsh for a first game of the year, but he was pretty ordinary.

Next game I’d go:
Out: LAV (injured), McKenna, Ambrose
In: Eades , McKernan, Simpkin

Eades plays up forward to create more options. McKernan replaces Ambrose as relief ruck and forward. Wouldn’t mind if McKenna stayed in but Simpkin could provide more.

No Dempsey?

DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW THIS TEAM CONSISTENTLY MAKES IT THIS HARD FOR THEMSELVES TO KICK GOALS. IT IS SO ■■■■■■■ FRUSTRATING 3 YEARS NOW.

ALSO, GOING IN 1 RUCKMAN PLUS -1 RUCKMAN AMBROSE IS LOSING US MANY GOALS CAN WE STOP, AGAIN, 3 YEARS NOW.

Are you for real?

For f**ks sake, Geelong beat us by 30 points, you know, the same margin they beat Hawthorn the team that is going for 4 in a row.

I suppose you think Stanton and Kevin Walsh were so bad they are still losing us games.

People are disappointed? That was a magnificent effort for 3/4 quarters and then we tired badly in the last due to LAV and kids.

Good luck to Bellchambers getting a gig if Looneyburger is in this form. He was fantastic all day and surprisingly nimble for such a big man, gets involved at ground level and is often that standing link between our fast running players. Well done to him, he’s proving a few wrong.

Zerrett’s a gun. Genuinely. Does everything and anything and the only reason he won’t canter it in in the B&F is thanks to a challenge from Zaka. Zerrett, Zaka, Fantasia and Parish were all fantastic and will all be our own FAB 4. Fantasia is lightening and good in tight situations, Parish is just awesome (but does tire in last quarters, expectedly) and the other two Zs are boderline A grade gun midfielders. They actually had Geelong rattled they were playing well for so long until they tired later on.

Credit where it’s due to Cooney who I thought played well, and also to Bird who I actually noticed for the first time at Essendon and played his best game for the club. 11 contested possessions. Tippa again, was fantastic. Literally the most composed player in our side and I’m always calm when he has the ball, can’t wait to see him stream through on Anzac Day.

Dea is a tackling machine and thought he played well again, whilst Kelly too was reliable. Gleeson is a genuine stick and it’s a shame because he can play well but then he treated with contempt when oppisition players push him over with a simple fend off. I don’t know if he’ll make it, for every good thing he does that makes me nod my head he’ll do something silly. Most of that is due to body size. Goddard was OK but made some silly decisions, including centreing a ball to a contest when he should have had a shot. Brown has the least presence I’ve seen a forward have, but he kicked a goal and had 7 marks o he did his job.

Downsides were the injury to LAV who looked good early, Daniher who was well beaten all day and had no influence, Ambrose who probably should be dropped. McKenna also seemed overrawed and it’ll be interesting to see if Worsfold persists or drops him (his game does deserve a dropping). Bit harsh for a first game of the year, but he was pretty ordinary.

Next game I’d go:

Eades plays up forward to create more options. McKernan replaces Ambrose as relief ruck and forward. Wouldn’t mind if McKenna stayed in but Simpkin could provide more.

When Bill Stephens was coaching the Baby Bombers he said “if a new player is worth one game he is worth two”

Very proud of the boys. Probably the most calm I've ever been after a defeat.

This.

At the game. Really happy with the effort. Great seeing Fantasia and Merret go from strength to strength.

On the negative our forward line was poor. Lacking a tall, Grimley really needs to have a go. Mitch Brown looks and plays like he’s missing 5kilos. Also disappointed with Goddards game, poor decision making and calls for the pill too much when he’s out of position/isn’t the best option - not sold on his on field leadership

We tried really really hard. It's just disappointing we let ourselves down in the last qtr. I think it's also worth acknowledging Geelong were shithouse. They were in 2nd gear. .

I don’t buy they were in 2nd gear, if they kicked straight and won by 80 points, would one say they were in full flight ?

It’s not as if we were running at full efficiency either. Win the hard ball, then chip it around til they kicked it long to probably the best backline going around.

Reckon they were going at around 3rd gear, just with a flat tyre (i guess the shitty goal kicking is the flat tyre in this metaphor)

we on the other hand were prolly going at 5th gear, with 3 flat tyres and no steering wheel.

To me bad kicking is bad football by Geelong. Great effort by our young team. I think they will surprise a few teams this year. Need a tall forward to help Daniher.
Hartley starved Hawkins. How serious is Laverde injury?

still pitching a tent from when zerret got danger

So much for the 80 point thumping.

Gotta be a proud Bomber today. Players were knackered in the last, otherwise we were a smallish chance to steal a win. Darcy was great again, Zak and Zac, Raz was brilliant, Marty Gleeson continues to improve, Walla, Lewie, BJ, Dea and ■■■■ all good.

What did we think of The Langford? Looked off his game early but I thought he came good. Persist.

A lot of the time we had Parish, Zerrett and Langford in the middle and were still killing it in the clearances. A lot of credit has to go L-Berger as well.

Next game I’d go:

No Dempsey?

Knew I forgot someone, yep swap Dempsey in for Simpkin.

Not sure if anyone has noticed but how freaking good has Walla been!?!?

I just wonder if Woosha is telling this lot to think about the suspended 12 players and how they would feel about staying next year. If I was one of the 12 and I saw these kids playing with that sort of grit and effort, running themselves to an absolute vomit inducing standstill and fighting to the death against a side that flogged Hawks, I’d think “Gee the future here is bright!! Might hand around…”

Can’t fault the effort in any game this year, they are a far more superior skilled time but our effort just kept us in it. Pumped for next week.

I just wonder if Woosha is telling this lot to think about the suspended 12 players and how they would feel about staying next year. If I was one of the 12 and I saw these kids playing with that sort of grit and effort, running themselves to an absolute vomit inducing standstill and fighting to the death against a side that flogged Hawks, I'd think "Gee the future here is bright!! Might hand around........"

Can’t fault the effort in any game this year, they are a far more superior skilled time but our effort just kept us in it. Pumped for next week.

Or they may be thinking “Oh crap, I might not get a game”.

IN:

REDMAN

Positive article by the ABC:

Worsfold has his Essendon team playing with the one thing you would expect it would lack - confidence.

The Bombers play with an offensive swagger. They target the middle of the ground and look to open it up through handball. They back their run and their skills even when it would be much wiser not to.

Even when it doesn’t work - which is often - they shrug off the mistakes and take it on again. Essendon’s performances against Melbourne and Geelong have been unexpectedly enjoyable, and for that the coach needs to take a lot of credit.

Watching Darcy Parish run and graft, while Zach Merrett and Orazio Fantasia rack up the possessions, will be enough to convince Worsfold he has a future to look forward to at the club.

Bull**** it’s Eades time baby

the stage is set

Next game I’d go:

No Dempsey?

lol no

Let’s end Bucks’ career next week.

Draft some natural forwards. Fk me noone has any idea up there.
HIRE THIS MAN

Liam jurrah
Waylon Manson please

One of the best losses I’ve ever watched.

We are sooo a top team with the 12 back.

We did well with the pressure we applied. We did okay in defence, mainly through pressure. As a result of the pressure we did well in the clearances.

We did appallingly in everything else. Our attack was non-existent. There was no run and spread.

After half time we kicked 1.2. Eight points. 3 scoring shots. Geelong kicked 4.12, 36 points, 16 scoring shots.

We got murdered today.