Mathew Lloyd assistant forward line coach

What is our fwd line structure?

Was sitting right on the 50 line. And one of our mids took the mark on the wing. There was a 2 on 2 contest (Goddard and Carlisle). The kicker didn’t put it to them so BJ turned around to Joe (who was 20 out from Goal) and screamed to join the contest. The kicker eventually chipped it backwards and I nearly broke the seat infront of me.

It’s like the mids don’t trust the fwds. We won’t win too many games if that’s the case, I’m afraid.

We could have a forward line of Lloyd, Lucas, Hird, Mercuri, Bewick and Caracella in their prime and we still wouldn’t be kicking big scores. Last year was the lowest scoring season in 40+ years, and this year is on track to be lower scoring again. The way we setup and move the ball is all about restricting the opposition. I think we need to look at the way teams like Port and now the Bulldogs move the ball quickly through the corridor.

He does one on one work with the guys as well on top of the goal kicking.

The forward line is missing one effective tall forward, and no amount of coaching will remedy that.

Otherwise, it’s not the forward line or the midfield or any other part of the team, it’s the whole damn team. For the last two weeks all of them have played flat-footed when they don’t have the ball and defensively when they do, and the defence is just as guilty of the defensive attitude as any other part of the team. It’s the defenders who kick the ball to each other in the backline and take forever to get it even to the defensive 50 metre mark. The midfield screw around with it too, and on the rare occasions it gets to the forwards they’re outnumbered, and even when they’re not they won’t take a shot unless they absolutely have to.

The attitude of the whole team needs to change. If it does, we’ll still have the structural weakness in the forward line so long as Carlisle is persisted with as a forward, but at least the other forwards will be having more and better opportunities to score.

We aren’t missing a tall forward.

It isn’t like the opposition are having a field day out-marking our forwards. No point being tall once the ball has hit the deck.

Lloyd is looking fit, get onto it DODORO. Ultimate mature age rookie.

The forward line is missing one effective tall forward, and no amount of coaching will remedy that.

Otherwise, it’s not the forward line or the midfield or any other part of the team, it’s the whole damn team. For the last two weeks all of them have played flat-footed when they don’t have the ball and defensively when they do, and the defence is just as guilty of the defensive attitude as any other part of the team. It’s the defenders who kick the ball to each other in the backline and take forever to get it even to the defensive 50 metre mark. The midfield screw around with it too, and on the rare occasions it gets to the forwards they’re outnumbered, and even when they’re not they won’t take a shot unless they absolutely have to.

Are you honestly saying the forward line worked the same against Carlton and Collingwood?

Carlton 57 inside 50s, 15 marks for 16 goals
Which is actually how it should work. We controlled the ball up to 80-100m out, and when we had it there, the forwards were already switched on and leading and able to mark on the lead.

Collingwood 47 inside 50s for 9 marks and 6 goals
For that matter Hawthorn 52 entries 10 marks 12 goals
Sydney 44 entries 2 marks (poor conditions) 9 goals

Lloyd is a very smart coach, needs to come in full time as our forwardline coach. Everyone has a price so pay it.

The forward line is not the problem, it's the midfield

It’s both.

It’s pretty hard for our forward line to get consistency and coherency if the delivery is poor

If you know the delivery is poor, as a forward you need to change the way you play.

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo350/Rookie_Soulnet/EFC%20Training%2027-02-2015/P1020273%201280x768_zpsxfkgxmmn.jpg

Geez looks as fit as his playing days still.

Retired to early, understand why…another admin error.

It’s both.

It’s pretty hard for our forward line to get consistency and coherency if the delivery is poor

If you know the delivery is poor, as a forward you need to change the way you play.

Rofl. Well take it up with the coaches genius. Not the poor bastards trying to implement the instructions they are given.

It’s both.

Rofl. Well take it up with the coaches genius. Not the poor bastards trying to implement the instructions they are given.

Sometimes coaches get it wrong aswell, so you need to think outside the box.

The forward line will continue to struggle until the coach/players realise that the ball needs to get in there a hell of a lot quicker than it does the majority of the time under the current game plan.

I know that modern football is all about playing “keepings off” but we waste so much effort looking for that 100% risk free entry that we end up either turning the ball over before it even gets inside our forward 50 or the opposition have a heap of players firmly ensconced by the time someone decides to take the risk of kicking it there.

I’m sure the likes of Carlisle and Daniher would appreciate the opportunity to only have their direct opponent to beat as a result of fast ball movement rather than having to beat half the opposition on a regular basis.

Hird has said he wants the players to take the game on…well ■■■■■■ do it because I’m heartily sick of the rubbish that was dished up on the weekend.

It’s both.

Quote: NO, we need the coaches to start thinking inside the box unlike, last week.

It’s both.

Wow…I underestimated you! That was quite funny!

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo350/Rookie_Soulnet/EFC%20Training%2027-02-2015/P1020273%201280x768_zpsxfkgxmmn.jpg

Geez looks as fit as his playing days still.

Retired to early, understand why…another admin error.

plenty of other ones proceeding that one also

The good old days.

The game wasn’t ruined by coaches and we had champions in our colours.

1 Like

He would rather sit in the media and white ant our coach than actually help.

LORDO