Mature aged recruits hidden gem longshots

Id like Bryan late in the draft but if we miss then Ottavi sounds like a good option.
would be interested to know what the VFL watchers thought of him.

Riccardi would be nice late too, not sure if he gets to us.

lil Hepp, ,might go alright to fill a junk yard dog back pocket position or a spare parts utility player like guelfi . would be a late rookie selection if he gets selected. I really like his work ethic.

AFL draft 2019: Best prospects from the NEAFL

While the NEAFL is not the strongest state league competition in the country, it still boasts players capable of making an impact at the top level.

The league has four AFL affiliated clubs – Brisbane, Gold Coast, GWS and Sydney – with the former fielding a team full to the brim with talent each week thanks to the Lions’ blessed run with injury last season.

The list of mature-age NEAFL candidates features a young intercept defender on the rise, a former Lion spearhead and the cousin of the man known as ‘Walla’.

Angus Baker (Canberra)

191cm, 87kg, 20 years old, defender

Baker took his game to the next level this season, earning the NEAFL’s Rising Star award for his efforts. The defender also finished third overall in the league MVP, averaging 30 disposals (ranked second in the competition) seven marks and five rebound-50s. No NEAFL player tallied more SuperCoach points for the season, averaging 130 per game. The former Swans academy member has a strong intercept game and provides run and drive from defence. Baker tested at the state combine and looms as the leading NEAFL candidate in this year’s draft pool.

Adam Tipungwuti (NT Thunder)

175cm, 65kg, 22 years old, small forward

The cousin of Bomber goalsneak Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti attracted interest from clubs ahead of the 2018 draft and this year’s mid-season draft. Like his relative, the 22-year-old has X-Factor and adds pressure and creativity in the forward 50. Tipungwuti booted 13 goals in 11 games for the NT Thunder this season, averaging 11 touches and 58 SuperCoach points. Played in Cyril Rioli’s remarkable comeback game in early November.

Adam Tipungwuti in action for the Tiwi Bombers. Picture: Keri Megelus

Adam Tipungwuti in action for the Tiwi Bombers. Picture: Keri Megelus

Mitch Maguire (Canberra)

176cm, 80kg, 20 years old, midfielder

Maguire claimed the league’s MVP and Rising Star awards last year and followed it up with another strong season in 2019. The inside midfielder averaged 30 disposals, six clearances and 114 SuperCoach points per game, with recruiting expert Gary Buckenara naming him as a mid-season draft smoky earlier in the year. Trained with the Swans before the 2018 draft and could bolster a side’s engine room.

Keidean Coleman (Brisbane NEAFL)

181cm, 73kg, 19 years old, defender

Coleman remained on the board following both 2018 drafts despite being linked to Brisbane’s academy. A promising year for the Lions NEAFL side earned him a spot in the NEAFL Team of the Year and an invite to the state combine, averaging 17 touches (at 78 per cent efficiency) and 80 SuperCoach points across half-back. He is still linked to the Lions academy, so they will have first dibs on the eye-catching defender.

Keidean Coleman in action for the Allies in last year’s under-18 championships.

Jake Bartholomaeus (Sydney University)

182cm, 72kg, 22 years old, midfielder

Bartholomaeus took out the NEAFL’s MVP award, edging out Angus Baker by five votes. The Sydney University midfielder is well rounded, averaging a tick under 28 disposals (ranked second in the competition) six clearances, six tackles (fourth), five inside-50s (second) and 114 SuperCoach points in 2019. Elevated his game significantly this season and has an attractive age profile.

Matt Hammelmann (Redland)

197cm, 96kg, 23 years old, key forward

Hammelmann has won the NEAFL goalkicking in each of his two seasons since being dumped by the Lions, topping his 2018 haul of 60 majors with 66 in 2019. That is no mean feat considering Redland won just three games for year. The former Lion is a strong marking presence both overhead and on the lead, clunking eight marks per game along with 12 disposals and 99 SuperCoach points. Played 12 senior games for Brisbane across three seasons before being delisted at the end of 2017.

Clay Cameron has played 25 games for the Suns.

Clay Cameron (Redland)

191cm, 86kg, 25 years old, key forward

The former Sun just enjoyed his best NEAFL season, earning a spot in the Team of the Year and finishing as a joint winner in Redland’s best-and-fairest. The key forward averaged just under 18 disposals, eight marks, two goals and 102 SuperCoach points per game. This may be the last chance for Cameron to add to his 25 AFL games.

Nigel Lockyer (NT Thunder)

190cm, 75kg, 20 years old, key defender/forward

Previously playing in the Northern Territory Football League, Lockyer only made his NEAFL debut in Round 8 but has attracted the interest of AFL recruiters since, receiving a state combine call-up. The Alice Springs product has impressed at both ends for the Thunder, averaging four intercept possessions in defence and booting nine goals up forward.

Kieren Parnell is hoping for a chance at AFL level.

Kieren Parnell is hoping for a chance at AFL level.

Kieren Parnell (NT Thunder)

188cm, 77kg, 20 years old, midfielder

Another Thunder prospect under the watch of AFL clubs, Parnell finished fourth in the club’s best-and-fairest and earnt a NEAFL Rising Star nomination. The tall midfielder been cruelled by injury in the past, suffering ACL setbacks in both his underage and draft year. Two years on, Parnell is back on the radar after testing at the state combine, averaging 13 touches and 66 SuperCoach points in 16 games for the Thunder in 2019.

MORE ON OUR DRAFT HOPEFULS

Lol.
Brisbane go through talls like…I dunno something that goes through a lot of something.
Cool analogy, bro.

I’d like to find out a bit more about Angus Baker. Impressive season.

Surely we take Adam Tipungwuti Wallas cousin.

Plays for Tiwi Bombers don’t we have first dibs?

Why surely?

1 Like

Does any one know any mature age small defenders.

feel we really need another of these.
I mean we had success with Hibberd and Baguley in the past…

And have recently cut Dea, McNeice, Long and Baguley.

And Saad was a Mature ager that suns got a few years ago.

Need someone, agile, strong and with good pace.

1 Like

Saad, McKenna, Redman are elite small defenders who play both ways.

Gleeson and Ridley can play small when needed.

McGrath in a pinch can be thrown back.

McQuillan will start as a defender and add the offensive aspects with experience.

My money is on Guelfi to end up a defender.

Angus Baker and Aaron Heppell would both be options as mature smallish defenders

1 Like

I’d love for Heppell to get a crack.

The thing Clarkson said about a VFL player being added to their list every year resonated with me a bit.
It got them the best players undrafted in the country heading to Box Hill, with the carrot of potentially being drafted.

not all have been success stories

Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn)
2001 National Draft Pick 36
Michael Georgiadis (Hawthorn)
2002 Rookie Draft
John Baird (Kangaroos)
2002 Rookie Elevation
Clinton Alleway (Kangaroos)
2003 Rookie Draft
Michael Firrito (Kangaroos)
2003 Rookie Elevation
Laurence Angwin (Carlton)
2003 Rookie Elevation
Matthew Ball (Hawthorn)
2003 National Draft Pick 51
Steve Kenna (Carlton)
2003 National Draft Pick 75
Doug Scott (Hawthorn)
2004 Pre-Season Draft Pick 7
Michael Rix (Hawthorn)
2004 Rookie Draft
Simon Taylor (Hawthorn)
2004 National Draft Pick 52
Kristan Height (Hawthorn)
2005 Rookie Draft

Cam Howat (Richmond)
2006 Rookie Draft
Ben McGlynn (Hawthorn)
2006 Rookie Draft
Sam Gibson (Hawthorn)
2007 Rookie Draft
Lukas Markovic (Western Bulldogs)
2009 National Draft Pick 63
Sam Iles (Gold Coast)
2009 Rookie Draft
Cameron Pedersen (North Melbourne)
2010 Rookie Draft
Ed Curnow (Carlton)
2010 Rookie Draft
Robbie Campbell (Melbourne)
2010 Rookie Draft
Jarrad Boumann (Hawthorn)
2011 Trade from GWS
Sam Gibson (North Melbourne)
2011 Rookie Draft
Adam Pattison (Hawthorn)
2011 Rookie Draft
Matt Jones (Melbourne)
2012 National Draft Pick 52
Sam Collins (Fremantle)
2015 AFL draft
Sam Switkowski (Fremantle)
2017 AFL draft
David Mirra (Hawthorn)
2017 Rookie draft

1 Like

An interesting list, but it’s really thinned out since 20011.
Probably says something about how the VFL has changed in recent years.

What is that a list of? Box Hill players drafted?

yes

Fair enough. For perspective some of those are 2nd and 3rd chance delistees, rather than good kids who were developed through the Box Hill system.

I mean Angwin was a top 10 draft pick who’d been delisted after a season.

And Pattison had been delisted twice before Hawthorn picked him out of Box Hill, I think primarily because prior to being drafted he’d been a regular poster on Hawk Headquarters.

But it looks like Hawthorn implemented that “draft 1 per year” only for about 5 years, and in it found a couple of one long term players. While other teams had very mixed success drafting out of Hawthorn.

I’m not sure what my point is, I just think it’s overall interesting, but probably not an argument one way or another about drafting out of your VFL team

Saad and McGrath aside none of the others you’d be confident on playing on oppositions dangerous small fwd

Taking McGrath out of midfield robs us there

As we saw when Saad went out we had McNeice into the role. He wasn’t up to it and is also cut now.

We need another small defender

2 Likes

Jack Charleston is the best I’ve seen at VFL level.

1 Like

Same things were said about Tippa no one took a punt expect for Essendon and look whats happened.

If one is a handful for the oppo imagine having to deal with 2 of them double trouble.

Not the same player. Adam struggles to assert himself in the NTFL and doesn’t have the pressure or strength over the ball. At his age, he should be tearing the NTFL apart.

There are serious players with different surnames who deserve equal attention.

1 Like

People were saying Tippa didn’t have a tank and will struggle take him as a rookie.

1 Like

Nobody here said that. We all saw his rise as a VFL player and witnessed his body shape transforming over time.

Yeh, Nino wins that argument.