Mayhem & Mercy on the Monash

How no one was even badly injured, let alone killed in this pile up is a bluddy Miracle.

I’d be buying several Lotto tickets if I were in any of the Cars in this mess. Just incredible.

abc.net.au

‘An absolute miracle’: No-one seriously injured in horror crash on Melbourne freeway

3 minutes

Updated about 4 hours agoThu 25 Jul 2019, 2:55pm

An official says it’s an “absolute miracle” no-one was seriously injured in a seven-vehicle collision in which two cars were sandwiched between trucks and another car crushed on a Melbourne freeway.

Key points:

• The Monash Freeway remained closed for several hours after a seven-vehicle crash just before 7:30am
  • Two trucks and five cars were involved and the clean-up took authorities hours
  • Three people were taken to hospital, but no-one was seriously injured

Police believe a B-Double truck hit a car before striking four other cars and another B-Double truck on the Monash Freeway just before 7:30am.

Remarkably, no-one was seriously injured in the crash.

Ambulance Victoria said paramedics had taken two people to Monash Medical Centre with minor injuries, and another person to The Alfred hospital in a stable condition.

The collision, which happened near Forster Road at Notting Hill in Melbourne’s south-east, caused significant delays during peak-hour.

The freeway reopened just before midday.

Traffic Management Centre (TMC) spokesman Brad Arnoldt said it was “an absolute miracle” no-one was seriously hurt.

“When we turned on the CCTV to have a look at this one we all immediately in the TMC here thought the absolute worst, that something tragic has happened,” he told ABC Radio Melbourne.

“But with two people with minor injuries, an absolute miracle, but traffic-wise it is very, very slow going.”

He said it was expected to take a couple of hours to clean up.

“There’s a massive clean-up that’s underway, trying to extract those cars from in and around and underneath those trucks,” he said.

VicRoads said drivers travelling towards the city should exit the freeway as soon as possible and use the Princes Highway and Dandenong Road as an alternative.

Traffic was being diverted onto the Forster Road inbound exit ramp.

Engineers were monitoring conditions and would adjust traffic signals as needed to keep vehicles moving in the area, VicRoads said.

Earlier, the West Gate Freeway was closed inbound after a fatal crash.

The freeway reopened just before 6:00am.

Anyone with information about either crash is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Selfish ■■■■■■ having accidents which inconvenience others

1 Like

Holy cow, there’s some lucky people there!

I was heading outbound after it happened. Inbound was already closed by then. Saw the trucks and glimpsed one of the cars and thought if the occupants made it out of that one in reasonable nick they are incredibly lucky. Thankfully miracles occasionally happen.

So very, very lucky to be alive.

I think that’s the distinction, lucky to be alive, very unlucky to be in an accident.

I’ve been hearing a lot lately from a truckie mate. That a lot of trucking company’s are employing new immigrants to australia, getting them licensed, and putting them on the road.

He said some of these guys can hardly hold these big rigs on the road. Not saying this is what happened in this case, but it does raise a few questions.

1 Like

Drive like they do back home on the sub continent