Melbourne v Essendon Review

He can’t hit a target. Can’t tackle. Can’t handball. Can’t do sweetfa.

2 Likes

That about sums it up, however I would get them to just stand back to back if I only had one.

But jokes aside I think it’s time for hepp unfortunately.

Melbourne’s wings absolutely obliterated us with hard running. Always creating options and executing well. Harmes, Langdon, Neal-Bullen, Brayshaw. That’s the real power of their team.

After Q1 I thought we were pretty good in the middle and Wright was an absolute gun up forward.

Had a chance to win, but couldn’t execute late. We played well

15 Likes

The club refuses to recruit players with a bit of see u in the NT about them. Private school captains and mummy’s boys. Not a single one that wants to get down and dirty. Coaches can only do so much. Players that won’t chase, players that kick directly to the opposition when under no pressure, players that are playing for a pay packet and nothing else. If the club wants to keep my membership next year, they need to make a statement on the field. Heppell needs to be dropped, McGrath needs to be dropped, Hind needs to be dropped. Show me that they are hurting and won’t accept half arsed efforts anymore.

5 Likes

Lots of people thought we’d start the season 0-3, and here we are. A few stinkers tonight, a few good games, horrible mistakes at the worst times. That’s about where we are.

17 Likes

Oh you are kidding. Francis is not the answer to any question. Ever.

2 Likes

draper might become a good ruckman in the future, but that future can’t include next week. He must be dropped. I have no confidence that rutten will do that though

15 Likes

We just played the 2021 Premier with 5 of our best out; Merrett, Langford, Walla, Jones and Cox.

Go dig a bomb shelter

9 Likes

Well at least we can put all that A grade midfield nonsense to bed now.

It’s clear that at best we have a mid table midfield, with no star power outside Stringer.

Peter wright is excellent up forward for what he is and Tex looks promising.

Down back there is Fk all outside Ridley and Lav.

List needs massive work.

2 Likes

A few things went against us
Stewart’s touch missed
Durham mark dropped
umps missed holds.

but mostly it was skill errors and turnovers.

we had a stretch of 8 goals straight after 5 points

7 Likes

Hep done
Shiel, 2MP solid
Ham….looks like an infant

We just don’t have the skills to match these good sides. I don’t understand how you can spend all preseason working on skills and still be so ■■■■.

Ham has to kick that goal he was running into, Durham has to mark that ball from Parish. We just don’t give ourselves a chance

Next three weeks going to be interesting

11 Likes

he was better than Petracca while keeping him out of the contest for 3/4, sure he made some mistakes but he had a good game

16 Likes

Delist

1 Like

Heppell or Francis? You choose. The answer is obvious to me…

2 Likes

Melbourne’s wings make everyone’s half backs look stupid. They close down space really well

2 Likes

They are clearly the better side

Their polish ball in hand miles ahead of us.

66 inside 50’s their way to our 39. The fact we remained in touch despite the weight of ball they had fwd prob wouldn’t happen too often.

Their mids flogged us really for possessions. Winning at the contest and using it far better around the ground. 30+ from both their wingers who are gut running machines both offensively and defensively

I was pleased with our effort, we really had a crack and good to see some like Shiel fire up

Wright is just getting better. Great pick up

Can’t cop how many fkn instances we botched kicks out of defence which cost goals OR how many times we botched our own forward thrusts which cost us goal scoring opportunities.

Those are our biggest areas to address.

Just can’t win games of footy against good sides turning ball over often under no pressure

Really annoying two weeks in a row though that HAD we got the basics right could have won

I guess thats a positive to take out though given Lions and Dees credentials.

No one expected us to win any of these first 3 games and we could have had two wins.

Hopefully we now have some belief and play as hard as we have ongoing for the season.

16 Likes

Phillips should be our no.1 ruckman for the foreseeable future. Give Bryant a game or two as back up. Sammy back up as well.
Happy to see us play two ruck men alternating off the bench.

4 Likes

McGrath halved Petracca’s output from the first two games this year but needs to be dropped. Righto.

17 Likes

We need to play two rucks every game from now.

Wright is our full forward, not a back up ruck. He looks the real deal now.

23 Likes

Stupid mistakes from players that should know better were so costly.

I’ve asked it in the other review threads but what exactly did we do with our pre season?