Merrett & the Leadership Conundrum

Oh, this old chestnut again, again.

2 Likes

Merrett leads by example.

Heppell throws up the :call_me_hand::call_me_hand: “no worries mate” when lazy team mates don’t perform and hasn’t played a full season in years. So his on field leadership is null and void where its arguably needed the most with this group.

If we want a good culture the captaincy should have gone to Merrett a long time ago.

If Merrett leaves I won’t blame him in the slightest as he has given everything to this club. The club honestly hasn’t done the same back.

1 Like

2 Likes

But where’s Zerrett when it comes to the idea that Hepp is all Shaka bra? Does he think that’s good leadership? If not why isn’t he the one out there letting other blokes know what he wants to see and letting them know when it’s not good enough? With Hepp out he’s had ample opportunity. If his attitude has been to sulk about not being in the special hat group, then he’s no leader either. Leadership doesn’t just come from the captains, but people who show leadership should be recognised and rewarded for it and I don’t buy that that happens within the team.

People are different. There is no ‘one style’ of leadership which is correct.
The leadership team plays a crucial role to the captain. There is no problems of having someone like Heppell as captain (except that he can’t get on the park). Our most successful team of the last 40 years had a captain with a similar style of leadership, to Heppell.

There is no problems with having a captain that is very much about bringing the group together, as long as we have a well rounded leadership group that can make up for Heppell’s deficiencies as a leader.

As for Merrett… it’s a tough one. There is going to be speculation about his future all season, do we need to have that hanging over the head of our leadership group.

1 Like

Embarrassing moment for him. He’s gone from an unconditional, unwavering attack on the ball and the man (2016-17 his tackling efforts were pound for pound the best in the AFL) to a guy who picks and chooses when he makes those efforts. If you’re a supposed “leader” and you’re doing that, questions have to be asked.

1 Like

He’s been targeted by the opposition off the ball for a long time now… you have to wonder if that has had an effect on his bravery to win the contest.

It has gotten worse the last 2-3 years. And he was copping it every week.

1 Like

46445_130420f0bde16030085082583ef5ac7e

That wasn’t in play at least :sweat_smile:

To be honest I think we just have a lack of natural leaders across the board or certainly a lack of guys in our team who would know what success even looked like and what it took to get there.

2 Likes

Merrett has done enough to get in the leadership group.

However agree if he plans on leaving he shouldn’t put his hand up.

Leadership Group
Captain Heppell
VC Merrett, McGrath
Langford
Ridley
Shiel

If Merrett out add Hurley

100% agree.

I’m being a broken record, but Theo is holding these guys accountable? Woosh’s philosophy of self management, obviously didn’t work for instilling and maintaining high level performance within games. So, either the coaches can do it or it has to be the on field leaders, which means it can no longer be guys that hold themselves to high standards but don’t hold the rest of the team to the same standard.

Terry Daniher or Hird?

Bomber Thompson was probably my favourite captain, maybe it was because it was 1993.

1 Like

Reckon your hard on Heppells leadership.

Cotchin might be regarded as gold standard because the tigers are so successful. But then again look at the hardness of the cattle he has around him.

I would rather Hepp than Merrett as the leader of the footy club but that’s just me. Heppell is a quality inside player that gets his hands dirty no matter what. Fearless on field.

Zach is a beautiful player, highly skilled. Mr Football.

I just think he doesn’t need to be captain and we don’t need him to be one.

Replacing Heppell is not the answer and creating a larger and larger leadership group isn’t either.

Cameron Ling was Geelong’s captain FFS.

1 Like

We went through Daniher 2020 in terms of the “will he, won’t he?” stay talk. Every little thing that happens with Zach will be scrutinised and read into in terms of whether he will stay or leave in FA. If he returns to the leadership group, can we read into it that he stays? If he doesn’t is it a sign he leaves? I’m ambivalent about it all. If he’s not committed to our future, then on your way and thanks for your service. We will take the extra 1st round pick, which will be up in the pointy end of the draft based on how I think we will fare in 2021, in a strong draft too, and will go a long way towards getting in the elite young talent we need to rebuild our playing stocks…

3 Likes

I’m past point of caring about which players are leaving the club tbh.

I care more about list balance and quality of the players coming in. I don’t have much emotional investment in players other than they contribute to the club winning.

We have gotten to a point as a club (and as supporters) that loyalty is more important than what’s in the best interest of the club.

8 Likes

I wouldn’t be so fast to pin that on Hepp. He’s been the captain of an absolute basket case club that’s going through a terrible period. I think a lot of the ■■■■ clubs have good captains though.

He’s hard a nails though, always puts his head over the footy and works extremely hard in game and at training. I highly rate those qualities and they’re common with all good captains.

Having said that i wouldn’t be opposed to a change. His body has let him down and you really need a captain that can take the field every week.

3 Likes

If the club is going through a refresh / rebuild etc and planning for the long term, then it’s time to start considering our future leaders from now.

Time for McGrath, Ridley and Draper to be considered.

1 Like

Give Heppell one last year to solidify his performance, get Pidge and Langers to VC and learn what they can under him and do away with this leadership group bullshit