Merrett & the Leadership Conundrum

Amused as to why we need a leadership group, as I have mentioned in another thread of which I can’t remember. You make the guy who inspires the team the most, captain. Have a VC in case of injury. That’s about it. Too many leaders in my opinion.

3 Likes

When will leadership group be announced?

I think the leadership group should be the whole squad except for 1st year players (ease them into it). This will fast track the leadership of the whole squad and we’ll be premiers in no time

I would draw a line in the sand. Heppell needs to focus on his body and footy, not having the captaincy won’t disregard his leadership around the club.

The club need to come out and announce Merrett as captain, he aligns with trucks core values plus has gained a lot of from being omitted last year.

Captain: Merrett
VC: McGrath
Leadership group: Hurley, Langford, Smith

1 Like

We should just have a head coach and get rid of all the Assistant coaches?
Too many cooks…

Before pre season games generally, I’d say in the next 2/3 weeks.

1 Like

Where are you getting that from? Gut feeling?

Fark the leadership group popularity contest idea. It’s been an utter failure. I hope Truck does a Sheedy and appoints a new captain himself, as well as a vice-captain (or two at most).

I hope he chooses Merrett as captain and McGrath and Shiel as vice-captains.

2 Likes

I reckon Merrett missed out on the vote last year as he didn’t get many votes from the younger players. It stung him and he’s learnt from it and decided to come back to training a few weeks early to get to know a few of them this time around. He’ll be in it this year.

3 Likes

Hepp is a good leader, but he hasn’t been on the park. I’m not sure zerret us the best choice either. There is one guy at the club who is as natural leader as they come.

One more year for hepp then it’s Mcgs time.

Merret is easily our best player and by a fair bit, and still should have a fair bit of footy left in him.

I’d like to see him play more outside as a receiving player. Don’t use him as a ram in tight.

On the money ! Has been doing this way too often in past few seasons. Nowhere near as hard as he was. As for the leadership group it’s time to have a change . Dyson has been great but should realise he’s done and hand over the reins. Give McGrath, Ridley and Langford the reins it’s time for the under 24’s to lead the club the others have been found wanting.

1 Like

Is there a specific day the leadership group is announced?

I real hope to see McGrath & Langford in it this year.

You would hope the club would have learnt this lesson by now!

1 Like

Why are people calling for ridley to be a leader, he’s had one good season and I don’t think he is going to live up to everyone expectations again this year (i don’t think he is going to improve on last year, I hope he can replicate it though). Langford is one I can agree on or shiel! If langers has a good year he should replace Hurley in the group, merrett deserves his spot and again should be vc until either McGrath or himself take over the reins. This might be heppells last year as cap unless he has a blinder of a year! I like the 4 man group, most likely down to 3 if hep can’t stay on the pitch. Tbh McGrath will win the vote in a year or two because of his relationship with the younger players on our team, langers, merrett and another young leader (maybe ridley if he’s consistent over the next year or two) or someone like parish and shiel should round out the group. Maybe even draper if he come on well over the next 12 months, seems to be well liked in the younger group! Who wouldn’t love a 203cm 100kg monster flying the flag

It’s ironic that, despite having so many leaders, we have not been led anywhere.

2 Likes

Ridley is the type of bloke who lets his footy do his talking. He leads by example he doesn’t
need to be be in the leadership group to be noticed.

We have been well and truly led up the garden path in the past. We have been betrayed and used as a scapegoat. Can we change? Are we capable of change? Do we want to change? If we want extended success we must change and become who we can be.

We were once feared and hated, not anymore. It will take a lot of work to get back to where we have to be to compete. Let’s surprise everyone and break free from our mediocrity.

Great point! I wonder why no-one at the club has thought of this in the last 20 years.