Michael Long: Great Player, great Man

Those runs,  those goals in the big games,  the silky skills,  the sidestep,  the finish.

Thats how we remember Michael Long.   But now we see him in a different light, because  few players have taken the step from being great footballers to being great Men in the context of our countries political affairs.

Michael is one of that few 

412811-130214-michael-long.jpg

Jake is his own person and as AFL is very competitive his future is a question mark.  We wish Jake every success.

But Michael Long has no question marks .  He is a true Essendon legend.

Seriously needs to go into politics. Sees the world for how it is, and wants to make it how good it can be.

He is already involved in politics on one level

Party politics is not necessarily the place where people like M. Long can be most effective. In fact I would argue that the nature of party politics in our system would weaken his effectiveness as a voice in the community.

Done til Death,  exactly how I see it.  People maybe think politics is only about government,  but politics is also about community leadership,  by example,  by inspiring others  Call Longy  a community leader,  but he is active in “politics”. see Wikipedia:

Politics (from Greekπολιτικός politikos, meaning “of, for, or relating to citizens”) is the practice and theory of influencing other people on a global, civic or individual level

Quality disposals is what l remember most, the deft flick/tap on to advantage. Didn't need to get a whole lot of the ball because he didn't waste it. 

Still eats like it's 1993.

Michael, it's not good for you.

You almost forget how good he was. Years like 93 & 95, he was just electric to watch. Imagine if we had him for all of 96?

To consider the level of football he played after his knee reco too, it‘s quite remarkable. Really led the team in the late 90‘s and was just an absolute inspiration.

Also, I will never foget his 6 goal haul against the Crows at Etihad (then Colonial Stadium) in 2000. Man, the noise we made that day with each goal! Awesome experience!

Seriously needs to go into politics. Sees the world for how it is, and wants to make it how good it can be.

One of the very few genuine magicians on a footy field…

He is already involved in politics on one level
Party politics is not necessarily the place where people like M. Long can be most effective. In fact I would argue that the nature of party politics in our system would weaken his effectiveness as a voice in the community.

Also, I will never foget his 6 goal haul against the Crows at Etihad (then Colonial Stadium) in 2000. Man, the noise we made that day with each goal! Awesome experience!

Was absolutely robbed to not get the 3 votes in that match, robbed.

He didn’t get ANY votes!

3 - MJ with 23 disposals (2nd top for us)
2 - Hird with 17 and 3 goals
1 - Ricciuto with 37…

The point is we kicked (I think) the last 10 goals to come from behind and thrash them: with Long kicking 5 of those and setting up at least 1 more.