Mid Season Draft — Operation Replace Devon completed

Riley Bowman???

1 Like

Is he any good?

1st pick - Marlion Pickett, 27yo,184cm, Mid/For/HBF. His name is Marlion, is good at football.

2nd pick - Ben Sokol, 23yo,186cm, MedFor. Strong overhead, good tank, kicks goals, tackles, big game player.

3rd pick - Riley Bowman, 19yo, 200cm, Ruck/KPP. Playing as the 23rd man in our VFL team. Surprised he wasn’t taken in the draft last year.

2 Likes

Given that the pool of players available are borderline, I’d be expecting we go with best available at two of our picks - plus 1 ruckman for needs.

If you can hit quality at any of these picks you’re absolutely laughing.

Let’s just hope that we nab ourselves a quality small forward, KPP and ruckman.

Could Bowman play AFL this year?

Yes but I wouldn’t expect a big impact and he would play mostly forward I would think, certainly a good long term prospect though I had him rated higher than Ham and Gown last year.

3 Likes

It will be very interesting to see the strategy of the club in this draft. Do they go for longer term guys or go for guys who they think will help this year but won’t be around long term.
Saturday night might even play a part in that decision. If we get cleaned up, surely they go the long term view

Because of the season-ending injuries we have accumulated…it should purely be a long term focus IMO.

2 Likes

Happy to take two long-term players - It’s not essential to select a third.

Might be going against the grain here but I would honestly be disappointed if we took Marlion.

In my opinion I think Marlion has actually played his best footy in the back half and we are absolutely spoilt for choice for mid-sized backs.

He made the move to the middle last year after Kelly left for Geelong, admittedly winning a B&F, but is this an area we are lacking in? We are currently cycling through a glut of mids in Shiel, Merrett, Parish, Heppell, Smith, McGrath with pinch hits from Fantasia, Stringer and Tippa.
…and Myers.

For those of you saying “but he is a big bodied midfielder” - he is the same weight as McGrath and 3cm taller than Parish. Observe a 3cm length on a ruler or whatever else is similar length within arm’s reach; Does that justify robbing a young #5 pick off more midfield minutes in favour of a soon to be 28 year old mature age player?

Grab a ruckman if we need but don’t give the selection panel another chance to ■■■■ the development of our young players.

7 Likes

Winders came 2nd or 3rd in 2010.

Given he only had 2 full seasons of footy in his 12 odd years, not a bad strike rate!

1 Like

Hi Darcy

1 Like

I think we could get him and play him up the ground, bags is not playing next year and Raz is in and out of the side too much with injury. Then go for the best mid available to replace Myers. That’s the way I would go about it

1 Like

I had the misfortune of meeting his younger son last week. If he learned his personality traits from his old man, that would have been a very tense locker room.

A crafty small forward should be a priority. Someone to ease the pressure off of Walla whilst being reliable backup for Fantasia (and Smith) is a must. I wouldn’t be opposed to Pickett playing that role, but Lowson and Deluca look like they are ready for the opportunity too.

I’m inclined to agree. A ruckman in case of emergency, a small forward and take your pick.

3 Likes

This post is purely emotion, not logic.

Could Aaron Heppell play seniors this year if we took him?

2 Likes

Will we take 3? I hope so

1.Knoll
2.Pickett/ Tippa2/Deluca
3. Ajang Ajang

I agree. We still need to keep winning this season at all costs but let’s not just plug obvious gaps in our list. Take the best prospects available at our picks and hope one of them turns out to be a good player.

We basically have an opportunity to roll the dice on 3 new players. Try them out for the rest of the season and just delist of they’re no good.

1 Like