Midfield Development 2010 - 2014

I wanna see our next level of midfielders coming through (the ones not named on those high-possession lists).

As yet, cannot see it.

Our VFL midfield seems to get beat most weeks.

Shame Hams has some chronic injury now.

i love how our list has come full circle
we're flush with KPs, need mids - we're flush with mids need small defenders - defence is awesome we need small fwds - fark we need talls again

I don't think we ever addressed the small forward issue though.

Kommer will be like a new recruit next year

I wanna see our next level of midfielders coming through (the ones not named on those high-possession lists).
As yet, cannot see it.

They'll cure hams don't worry.

As yet, cannot see it.

No, he's cooked.

As yet, cannot see it.

mmmm double smoked

As yet, cannot see it.

Hams, Gleeson, Kommer will make a big difference in this respect.

For such a crap midfield, we regularly get 3-4 players heavily tagged.

Stants, Hep and Zaka get one every week. Jobe often gets one, but he's essentially untaggable. Winders copped one last week.

It's coming together nicely. Shame Melksham hasn't continued his ripping form into this year.

the above numbers might also explain why melks output has been down on last year. Chapman has come in and taken a fair bit of melks role hff/midfield. Myers has stepped up. If we're playing good football then there's only so many possessions for the midfield to share. Maybe having chappy for 2 years means development time for melks defensive game?

Great post. I hadn't thought about that - you're probably on the money there. It will only help Melkshams game too.

Possession stats pretty much just show who has been in the midfield, but the true signs of improvement would have to be clearances, effective entries inside 50, tackles, and opposition numbers, right?

Anyway, you can see the rise of Heppell and Zaka as major ball winners, and the consistency of Jobe and Stants.

Defense: Solid as a rock
Midfield: Nearly fully arrived

Forward: JAKE CARLISLE

Needs more JoeDan!

As yet, cannot see it.

Come on down Marty and Kommsy. 

As yet, cannot see it.

Yeah I'm not completely sold on the guys I've never seen either.

As yet, cannot see it.

Yeah I'm not completely sold on the guys I've never seen either.

Which is exactly why those draft penalties are gonna sting.

For such a crap midfield, we regularly get 3-4 players heavily tagged.
Stants, Hep and Zaka get one every week. Jobe often gets one, but he's essentially untaggable. Winders copped one last week.

Bj too. Pig and demps have also been tagged b4

As yet, cannot see it.

Hams, Gleeson, Kommer will make a big difference in this respect.

Browne

Gleeson will be a freak if his body doesn't let him down

His what?

Gleeson will be a freak if his body doesn't let him down

His what?
body
When did he get one of those?

Gleeson, Zerrett, Jerrett, Zaka, Kommer and Colyer. Potentially a very fast and silky midfield. Add Heppell's silk around the stoppages and contests as well as the strength of Myers, Howlett and Hocking. Jobe, BJ, Winders and Stants with a few seasons in them still. I think our midfield will match and/or beat anyone by next season. Also think our defense will get even more solid but the biggest improvement will come from our forwards. Carlisle could become a huge consistent threat and real headache for oppositions. This only makes things worse with one of the most talented key forwards in a long time in JoeDan as his partner in crime. Then we also have Mr cool and steady, the enforcer in Ambrose. I hope Chappy goes around again for one more season. Also hope Dellgoalio cracks into best 22 with a great preseason. Really though, I think with our fast young mids coming along we will end up rotating them forward a lot covering these spots eventually. No room for two rucks there but I really think there is still a big role for Belly in the side. At full strength he may not be the automatic choice but he's important if any of our key talls aren't available. Carlisle can cover a defender's post while belly shares ruck/forward duties with Paddy. Obviously if a forward or Paddy are down then he's important too. Unfortunately at the moment we have Joe down as well as Belly. I think this only highlights how important he is.

Hopes: Melksham finds a role and some real confidence. Seeing Colyer and how he's going about it at the moment should only give him hope that he can get it to click for him. He's going to be important with Jobe, BJ, Winders and Stants not getting any younger.

Browne Kav and Hams et al. With our picks being farked up it is even more important that these guys develop and develop well.

Let’s face it, if Carlisle keeps marking everything then we don’t need crumbers all small forwards. All we would need is give players who know how to make decoy leads

Let's face it, if Carlisle keeps marking everything then we don't need crumbers all small forwards. All we would need is give players who know how to make decoy leads

Bucky won't get a free ride (like he did last week) for the rest of the season.

Especially at the SCG - The Swans will Quadruple team him every time the ball goes inside our 50. 

Cue Dell to kick 6 off of the crumbs.

Let's face it, if Carlisle keeps marking everything then we don't need crumbers all small forwards. All we would need is give players who know how to make decoy leads

Bucky won't get a free ride (like he did last week) for the rest of the season.

Especially at the SCG - The Swans will Quadruple team him every time the ball goes inside our 50. 

Cue Dell to kick 6 off of the crumbs.

that would be so good. how would you react Peeto?