Midfield Development 2010 - 2014

Just looking at some stats that illustrate how things are finally coming together in our

midfield after years in the wilderness.

The inclusion of Goddard and the emergence of Heppell have been obv been instrumental in us getting our shiit together. BJ has given us that extra element of class that we have lacked for aeons.

Coupled with the familiarity and development as a unit, We now have a midfield chock full of leaders that can compete with the best and most importantly bats with a bit of depth.

Now we've Just got to make the most of it while we can!

Disposal averages over the past 5 seasons:

Jobe 27

Stanton 23

Nat Rat 23

Prismall 22

Winderlich 22

Jobe 26

Stanton 24

Heppell 21 

Zaharakis 20

Hibberd 19

Jobe 29

Stanton 24

Zaharakis 22

Heppell 21

Howlett 19

Dyson 19

Jobe 27 

Goddard 26 

Stanton 25 

Heppell 24 

Hibberd 23 

Zaharakis 22 

Melksham 19 

Jobe 28 

Heppell 27 

Hibberd 24 

Zaharakis 24

Goddard 23 

Stanton 23

Myers 21

Chapman 20

It’s coming together nicely. Shame Melksham hasn’t continued his ripping form into this year.

It's coming together nicely. Shame Melksham hasn't continued his ripping form into this year.

That's why Colyer's form has also been so crucial, spreading the workload and giving us the pace Melksham lacks.

She's lookin' good.

If Colyer maintains the form, and Melk regains/improves then we're really in business.

We need to recruit midfielders!

Yeah nah done good.

Defense: Solid as a rock
Midfield: Nearly fully arrived

Forward: JAKE CARLISLE

i love how our list has come full circle

we're flush with KPs, need mids - we're flush with mids need small defenders - defence is awesome we need small fwds - fark we need talls again

Hams, KAV!, Gleeson, Ashby, Browne, perhaps Komzie, (Peeto)....also going to be good in a few years too...

DONT SACK DODORO!

we're flush with KPs, need mids - we're flush with mids need small defenders - defence is awesome we need small fwds - fark we need talls again

Fortunately in regard to the talls we do have they're all (except one) at the start to midway into their careers (and all look to be potential stars or are somewhere on either side of the cusp of stardom). I assume we will be sniffing around other clubs trying to grab one who shows a bit but can't get a game through lack of opportunity ala our letting go of Jenkins. Another tallish, mobile defender type seems the obvious target.

Just looking at some stats that illustrate how things are finally coming together in our

The inclusion of Goddard and the emergence of Heppell have been obv been instrumental in us getting our shiit together. BJ has given us that extra element of class that we have lacked for aeons.

Coupled with the familiarity and development as a unit, We now have a midfield chock full of leaders that can compete with the best and most importantly bats with a bit of depth.

Jobe 27

Stanton 23

Nat Rat 23

Prismall 22

Winderlich 22

Jobe 26

Stanton 24

Heppell 21 

Zaharakis 20

Hibberd 19

Jobe 29

Stanton 24

Zaharakis 22

Heppell 21

Howlett 19

Dyson 19

Jobe 27 

Goddard 26 

Stanton 25 

Heppell 24 

Hibberd 23 

Zaharakis 22 

Melksham 19 

Jobe 28 

Heppell 27 

Hibberd 24 

Zaharakis 24

Goddard 23 

Stanton 23

Myers 21

Chapman 20

Where's the performance spike in 2012???????

There was supposed to be a performance spike in 2012

I don't think we ever addressed the small forward issue though. 

zmerret colyer chappy fanta kommer dell ??? but no we haven't had some establish themselves as a comp leading small fwd for the next decade and cloyer wouldn't have been on that list a month ago.

zmerret colyer chappy fanta kommer dell ??? but no we haven't had some establish themselves as a comp leading small fwd for the next decade and cloyer wouldn't have been on that list a month ago.

Apart from Fanta and Dell, none of those guys are the type of small forward we need. Chappy helps, but obviously not for long. Colyer and Z Merrett are running flankers who will end up mids,

We need a crumbing goal sneak. Orazio is the key.     

Apart from Fanta and Dell, none of those guys are the type of small forward we need. Chappy helps, but obviously not for long. Colyer and Z Merrett are running flankers who will end up mids,

Yes, definitely need more players of the type of Davey. I reckon we also need another ruckman to backup Ryder. Yes, we do have backup talls but their strength is not rucking.

100% agree. Coaches seem rate him highly. Bomba said "We think he's got a bright future" in the presser a couple of weeks back. He's not one to talk hogwash, so you'd hope and expect to see him play some senior footy next season.

It's coming together nicely. Shame Melksham hasn't continued his ripping form into this year.

the above numbers might also explain why melks output has been down on last year. Chapman has come in and taken a fair bit of melks role hff/midfield. Myers has stepped up. If we're playing good football then there's only so many possessions for the midfield to share. Maybe having chappy for 2 years means development time for melks defensive game?

Jobe 27

Stanton 23

Nat Rat 23

Prismall 22

Winderlich 22

Jobe 26

Stanton 24

Heppell 21 

Zaharakis 20

Hibberd 19

Jobe 29

Stanton 24

Zaharakis 22

Heppell 21

Howlett 19

Dyson 19

Jobe 27 

Goddard 26 

Stanton 25 

Heppell 24 

Hibberd 23 

Zaharakis 22 

Melksham 19 

Jobe 28 

Heppell 27 

Hibberd 24 

Zaharakis 24

Goddard 23 

Stanton 23

Myers 21

Chapman 20

I'm not disagreeing with the premise that we have a better midfield than we do then, but I'm not sure the numbers you are presenting actually confirm or deny this. On what basis do the numbers prove we have a better midfield? 

Midfielders are a dime a dozen.  :P

I'm not disagreeing with the premise that we have a better midfield than we do then, but I'm not sure the numbers you are presenting actually confirm or deny this. On what basis do the numbers prove we have a better midfield? 

It's not so much about the raw numbers but also the personnel and the depth of the players getting those numbers over the past couple of seasons.

Basically, We have a vastly improved list of midflelders getting first use.

Yes, I could've also added contested possessions, clearances, 1%ers tackles etc etc, but then it turns into a thesis.

It was a brief snapshot and celebration of the fact that our midfield has finally evolved into something decent.

Midfielders are a dime a dozen.  :P

Haha, cunnox!