Midfield Woes: Instant fix

I was thinking more our first pick this year and next.

Thats a possibility but i’m a bit more pessimistic tbh.

Would sign over the picks on the spot he wanted to come to us. Our first this year will likely be in the 6-12 region and if we snared him aswell as a bit of improvement next years would hopefully be in the 12-18 range. Would do that deal in a heartbeat, reckon you would struggle to get a player of his ability with those picks in the next two years

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I meant - I may have said it clumsily.
2017 1st rnd, plus 2-18 1st rnd.

Your opinion is your opinion. I don’t care if he is on drugs, eats puppies or parks in handicapped spaces. Unless his off-field life prevents him being a star on the football field it is irrelevant to what he would bring to the club. We are in the business of winning football games, everything else is background noise. I don’t actually think we are any chance of getting him but it’s nonsense to suggest that football performance isn’t the only thing that ultimately matters. Records will only ever show the WC flags and Cousin’s brownlow. Their character off-field don’t mean squat.

Watching us play this year I firmly believe we are a serious contender next year if we play our cards right this off season. Our forward line is excellent and our backline is very good too, it’s coming along great with the emergence of McKenna, Ambrose and McGrath. Gleeson as well I’m very impressed with his ability to take intercept marks. If he could fill out a little more that would be ideal. The midfield needs serious work though and it is the only thing holding us back. Heppell, Merrett, Parish, Zaharakis and the outside players like Colyer, Fantasia, Tippa and McGrath when they run through there, that is a great base to work from. But we need more grunt to win more clearances.

Zac Jones and Hopper would be the two I’d be targeting very hard. Both young, tough players they would help immensely with our clearances. We get two players like that in and this side is deadly next year.

Those in the know say we are really cashed up, I hope we are going after these players as opposed to one superstar like Kelly or Martin, or JJ when we need to strengthen midfield. We have our own superstar in Merrett supported by Heppell. Add further development from players like Parish, Fantasia, hopefully Langford, Laverde etc… Belly in the ■■■■ is doing great too. Jesus Christ I hope we are in some of these players’ ears, they would be perfect for us and if we have the cash and they leave, I’ll be spewing if it isn’t to us.

Jones I highly doubt will leave but Hopper appears very gettable. We must surely be appealing to players as we are very much on the up, a big club and cashed up. How likely are we to get anyone?

Not going to bother with you on this one anymore. You’re close minded, small-minded or no-minded.

2 Likes

Im sure the mainwaring family would agree 100%
And that’s ignoring the …4?? Other WCE guys who now have drug related convictions.

1 Like

“Hey Benny we can bring your best mate back to life but only if you hand back your footy medal. Yeah or nah??”

Unless you are going to actually provide something of substance then please don’t bother. If you think you have actual information that​ will see Martin prevented from continuing to be a top player then by all means, put it up for consideration​. Until then all I’m seeing is opinion being passed off as fact. Martin the player is what we need, Martin the member of society is something we can easily manage given the player part performs. Until I see any reason at all to believe the player side won’t perform, the hinted issues will remain irrelevant.

Goes on to state opinion as fact.

Where???
Are you suggesting Martin the player isn’t needed?

2 years ago he put himself on the market and couldn’t get any takers whatsoever and ended up with only 1 offer which I believe was a pay cut.
But that’s normal for an All Australian level player. Happens all the time.

“We would be able to manage him”
That’s your opinion, and that’s fine, it may be right, but it’s only an opinion.

How do you know he didn’t receive any offers??? It’s also fair to say he is a more rounded player now not to mention the free agent part

He was a 25 touch and a goal player, not like he’s come from nowhere.

Because his manager said there were no offers, at all, zero.

1 Like

Ffs at least quote the whole sentence. As long as his off-field doesn’t effect his on-field then we can manage it. I see no evidence that his life outside football is effecting him now so see no reason to think it will change. If anyone knows details of why his situation is going to suddenly change then I will consider it. I won’t consider rumour or “I know secret but I won’t tell”

Again, that’s your opinion.

But you have as little idea as me, and I think less than a few in here.

Jobe looked puffed out getting to contests in the first quarter.

2 Likes

A little unnecessary.

1 Like