Midfield Woes: Instant fix

Me either Kerr-ey, … me either.

get ■■■■■■■ mortal on party drugs perhaps?

I can’t remember who said it, but it was raised last season… but apparently the players didn’t respond well to Greg Williams’ ‘direct’ personality as a coach. But they have access to him if they want.

To me it sounded like, Greg Williams is upfront and brutally honest, with many of the players didn’t like it. It raised significant issues about how mentally fragile the Essendon players are.

1 Like

Please tell me that’s not true

1 Like

If that’s true they should have removed the players who couldn’t take it. If you can’t handle honest feedback about your deficiencies how the hell can you ever improve.

This part was informative. Indicates Worsfold looks to his assistants to provide the tactical nous and he takes on the overall leader teacher role. Delegation of roles is fine to spread the load and also the scope for ideas. But as described above it could be a slow process as the coach and then the players learn the plan.

Worsfold doesn’t give anything away at his pressers on what exactly they are doing. We don’t know how the coaches organise themselves and how much discussion there is about what to do and what is happening. But from the last year or so the team and the coaches have struggled to get up to speed quickly enough. And once we get there we don’t necessary stay there as this year it feels we have gone back to the start to learn and click as a team. Hopefully there is memory from last year and we get to that post-2-6 point much quicker this season.

2 Likes

Kerr seems like an intelligent bloke. BRING HIM IN AS ASSISTANT COACH.

Yeah, quality person :rofl:
Maybe if the mids don’t work hard enough he can douse them in petrol aswell

1 Like

@CJohns was it your Podcast that raised thisquestion with someone at the club? Xavier Campbell?

Likewise.
I hope that isn’t true.
If so it speaks volumes of our group that it’s all too hard and yet here you have a bloke up in Brisbane that is not only using him as a mentor but paying to fly him up there each week out of his own pocket

C[quote=“jonovdp, post:1267, topic:10289”]
I can’t remember who said it, but it was raised last season… but apparently the players didn’t respond well to Greg Williams’ ‘direct’ personality as a coach. But they have access to him if they want.

To me it sounded like, Greg Williams is upfront and brutally honest, with many of the players didn’t like it. It raised significant issues about how mentally fragile the Essendon players are.
[/quote]

So do we choose to see us as mentally fragile or Diesel lacking the ability to communicate his thoughts?

I’m trying to find the source.

But it sounded like his Personality was the issue with the players, not communication.

1 Like

Wasn’t an issue for Jobe though?

From memory Williams has worked as a skills/midfield assistant coach at maybe half a dozen clubs, and I don’t think he’s lasted more than a year at any of them.

Occam’s razor.

Punch drunk from too many concussions??

I heard him once in the last couple of years & his clarity of speech is not great

If teams tag Shiel out of the game like tonight then we lack depth.

We not only lack in a contest our skills are deplorable.

1 Like

Who is in charge of the midfield??

Harvey??

Should have been moved on 3 years ago.

Our midfield is the worst midfield in the league and it isn’t even a debate.

3 Likes

Id be trading merett and potentially Parish (i still love him)

Theres no point in keeping parish on the list if the coaches refuse to play him properly.

And keeping all of the smaller midfielders is costing us week in week out.

Constant ruck combo will help our onballers a little. Not that clearances seem to be a big problem. (more hitting the scoreboard/having a coherant forward line imo)

I would really favour playing Draper as a ruck forward and rotate Phillips/TBC as his chopout.

Harvey was a defender yet he’s coaching our mids :man_facepalming:

Get a fcking assistant who’s played as a mid in his career ffs

3 Likes