Mids: Do we have a surplus

It wasn’t that long ago our starting centre bounce group in the VFL was Bryan, Atley (VFL listed), Smith and Ham

I think this surplus talk is a little too premature. Having players struggle to get named is a GOOD problem to have and not one we have had for a very long time. Players forced to earn their spot building form in the 2s is a desireable outcome and anyone that wants to leave could net us some good picks to keep young talent continuously coming through.

Caldwell was blocking and tackling inside, Parish only wants to win the ball.

We need the right balance, Parish can easily be part of it we just need to find it. Everything should be considered.

2 Likes

Yeah it definitely won’t happen but it’s an interesting insight into supporter psyche. We finally get another win and a couple of young mids play really well in that win so now we’re happy to throw out the bloke with infinitely more runs on the board

Definitely agree we need more balance and I think Caldwell brings something we don’t have anywhere else. I actually think Parish and Caldwell can be complementary players

1 Like

Given we haven’t won a final in so long, I’m in the cold/dispassionate group. If that sort of trade is one that can kickstart a rise up the ladder, do it!

3 Likes

It’s fair to say that our (full strength) midfield group isn’t a great mix.

We have a pretty good evidence to suggest that one of them must find a new position or be traded.

Having 2 players in Caldwell & Perkins, who can shrug off and stand up in tackles…… and also present as a marking option around the ground. Tackling pressure was also very good.

2 Likes

Too many mids is Nino’s fault.

Don’t care what anyone says, you can’t convince me that we look better when they all play. Individually good players, but as a team they are too same same.

4 Likes

Yep. I’m exactly the same.

Losing a player isn’t the end of the world.

In 1995 & 1996 we traded Paul Salmon & Scott Cummings. People would call that decision ‘insane’.
Ohh and we also had a Brownlow Medalist walk out not long after.

1 Like

I’m the same mate. I don’t have attachment to any players any more.
I just want us to do whatever possible to achieve team success.

Interesting disucssion, we seem to win our share of centre square ball ups but lose stoppages around the ground. Plenty of options for all potential on ball players to play inside or outside apart from the centre bounces.
Discussion seems to be on who attends the centre rather than how or who can improve our around the ground stoppages.

Agreed. I actually think stoppages in general aren’t a big issue for our midfield but it has a lot more to do with ball movement, delivery in the forward half and defensive running

Testicles: Do I have a surplus?
As with mids, NO!

1 Like

What if it means he turns out as good as Darcy?

I think we will still trade Shiel.

McGrath will be a permanent defender.

Parish, Caldwell, Perkins & Hobbs on the inside.

Merrett, Langford & Martin on the outside.

1 Like

Would people trade Parish for Dunkley?
Dunkley can push forward with greater effect than Parish and offers something different in the midfield - size.
Just a hypothetical. Assume a third party offers a pick that we’re on trade to the Dogs.

1 Like

Yes, and something coming back the other way.

We need to send Merrett to defence to use his kicking and protect him a bit more plus gives others runthrough middle and McGrath and Merrett can be shifted into middle if we get a injury or need a change in setup/ more run late.
I would still trade Shiel.

2 Likes

this is it in a nutshell.

hobbs (midfielder) playing as a forward
perkins 50/50 but could play midfield
caldwall (midfielder) playing forward
guelfi (midfielder) has played everywhere but is now playing forward.
martin/durham seem to be rotating through wing/forward for patches
you’ve now moved heppell to a wing cos he can’t go anywhere else
Ham has been playing forward

you have langford coming back, parish will come back, snelling will too, got cox they will cram in somehwere also, and then there’s potentially moving mcgrath back into the mid too (hopefully not)

Yes i know we don’t keep players fit and or not injured much, but at some point if they all do stay fit, that’s a severe overbalanced team of midfielders as you so eloquently say just jammed into a side to make them fit.

yes in a perfect world you’d trade shiel out to relieve the problem and as some have suggested get a decent dedicated small forward. but the obvious next highly valued target is parish, it’s not that people don’t rate parish, it’s ironically the thing people want to run with as to why he would yield a higher return than trading out a durham, because he does have the runs on the board already.

sooner or later you will stunt players growth as most of them, again are midfielders and want to play in the midfield.

on paper if we don’t cop injuries (yes yes i know it’s a pipe dream) we do have a surplus of mids.
what we should do is try and find a forward or two who are similar to mcgrath (albeit he is for the backline) who can play as forwards and dedicated forwards, but also step into the midfield If and when injuries happen.
instead of just shoving midfielders down in the forwardline and hoping they can play as forwards.