Mids: Do we have a surplus

No, trade something else for Dunkley.

1 Like

Exactly. You donā€™t downgrade a player to fix balance. If you want somebody like Dunkley, trade out one of our lesser players and then pay the price to bring Dunkley in.

1 Like

Is Martin someone we want in the square?
Iā€™m not sure heā€™d thrive in the crash and bash in there.

1 Like

As far as central midfield goes, yes. Last night we played McGrath back, Hobbs forward, Perkins split forward, and were missing Parish and Langford. Yet we dominated. Shiel has played best without Parish. Iā€™m certain that Parish wouldnā€™t have played midfield last year without the Caldwell & Shiel injuries.

Itā€™s why Iā€™ve been saying on the recruitment boards we shouldnā€™t bring in a mid unless we trade one out, and should be looking hard at Sheezel.

If McGrath is happy to stay while playing back thatā€™s a bonus. But we could probably also afford to lose one of Shiel or Parish. Especially if we were getting a Brayshaw quality mid via FA or other trade.

2 Likes

Keep him on the wing.

FB:
HB: Mcgrath
C: Martin Caldwell Langford
HF: Durham Stringer Perkins
FF: Snelling
R: Parish Merrett
INT: Hobbs Caldwell

EMG: Guelfi

Trade/delist: Shiel, Ham

Last night we had 5 players rotating through centre bounces and Hobbs pushing up to stoppages from the forward line. Those players next year should be Parish, Merrett, Stringer, Caldwell and Perkins with Hobbs still starting in the forward line. I would be happy to see Stringer in the forward line more to play someone like Dunkley or Brayshaw on ball as well.

Caldwell and Hobbs tackle and donā€™t have to be told to do it, thatā€™s what they bring to the midfield group

Iā€™d have Merrett as the one starting from the forwardline and Hobbs spending more time in the guts

1 Like

Ye I think Merrett could be pushed out to a flank in the future for a more contested player.

Itā€™d be nice if some of them could kick a goal or two as well.

Parish 1, Caldwell 5, Merrett 2, Shiel 2, Ham 0

Perko 12 Martin 13

1 Like

Yeah weā€™d get more from Merrett on a HFF than either Hobbs or Caldwell

1 Like

Ham is getting a game.

We donā€™t have surplus AFL quality midfielders.

1 Like

Move Mcgrath to defence Merrett out of the centre bounces

Centre bounces to comprise parish, Shiel and Caldwell/stringer

If we had, say, Wanganeen-Milera developing in Hamā€™s spot, Iā€™d feel a lot more comfortable with the midfield mix. As it stands, it looks like Hobbs may end up being surplus in terms of inside midfielders, but we definitely need higher quality around the periphery (and arguably a taller inside mid instead of one of our existing guys)

We have Martin and Durham developing in Hams spot.

Arguably cox also, although I think Cox and Martin are destined for other parts of the ground, and Durhamā€™s disposal will never be elite.

If we traded Parish i think i would want a Shai Bolton, Rankine or Gulden type. Elite forward game who could impact up the ground.

We have a surplus of mids who deserve a game and also deserve midfield minutes, we are also in a situation as we are a developing/rebuilding team we need to provide time in the midfield for players like Hobbs and Perkins.

We have no young players we are developing in the VFL at the moment.

You can also add to the list of players who run through the midfield but play forward like Stringer and Langford.

Full time midfielders
Parish
Merrett
Shiel
Caldwell

Developers
Perkins
Hobbs

Forwards who sometimes play midfield
Langford
Stringer

There is not enough midfield minutes for all of them. Not serious ones anyway, i also may of missed some names also.

Langford spends the majority of his time on the wing.

Parish for Dunkley just works for our list needs.