Midway point in the season - reflections

Yeah I agree that we turn the ball over a lot. But our ability to defend those turnovers is pretty poor. Maybe that goes hand in hand with wanting to go through the middle of the ground, so when we turn it over the ball is in a much more difficult position to defend.

I guess that’s why many teams play down the wing, if you turn it over, you can defend better.

I’m as surprised as anyone but we actually have the 5th fewest turnovers in the comp.

I dare say we’re be amongst the worst for giving up scores on those turnovers though

I mean, that’s exactly what I just said…

1 Like

Where did you get the turnover stats?

AFL stats pro

Not even sure he is required as yet. They may play a long game approach with him with the boys scoring so heavily

1 Like

So how do you explain the heavy scoring against us?

Do you have any inside info on how he is tracking?

Would be great to know

As I watched us carve up North with handball movement last night.

I was thinking about how important Caracella has been, and how his ball movement game plan has got us scoring goals at will.

It reminds me of the 2000 team very forward handball team wonder if sheeds has had an influence on caracellas coaching style

We get scored against on turnover cause we turn it over in the worst possible spots to defend. It’s the where and how (intercept marks are the worst) as much as the how often.

Last few weeks have been better but I’m pretty sure up until the last 2 weeks we’ve been averaging ~60 against on turnover.

1 Like

For mine the season so far has been an outstanding success. My expectations pre season were very low and we have by far exceeded them

So many things to be pleased about

Seems to be a proper gameplan with full buy in from the players

Youth is being backed in

Consistent team selections each week

We are playing with real spirit, the players seem to actually care about each other on the field

We seem to have drafted and traded really really well

We seem to be playing as a team, not just 22 individuals wearing the same jumper

I am actually starting to trust this team/club a little bit again. I honestly can’t remember the last time i was this positive about the club and it’s future.

12 Likes

Actually i don’t. The word was about 4 weeks ago that in a month they would make a call whether he will play this year. Have not heard anything since.

2 Likes

Maybe not in the ones, but we’d like to see him in the magoos just to get some form and touch back. Could do wonders for his confidence running into next season…or not.

4 Likes

Yeh true

For the first time in as long as i can remember…i honestly belive the team and club is heading in the right direction.

Yeah we will get some touch ups along the way, but i like what i have seen.

Its good to see the draft has paid off for us, heres to the rest of the year. We could quite possibly play finals as well.

So far 5/10 for me.

Your out of 10 rating seems out of kilter with your overall sentiments haha.

I reckon when you do these things it’s all relative to expectation and what was realistically achievable. With that in mind I’d give this year about an 8 out of 10 so far.

5/10 is pretty good all things considering lol, we still have to be somewhat critical haha.

1 Like

Yeah fair enough mate :ok_hand:
It’s all opinion anyway.

First time in years that I actually enjoy watching us play, seeing the young blokes get thrown in and have an impact is so exciting instead of gifting games to plodders and cooked veterans.

The individual improvement from guys like Redman and Laverde is a massive tick as well. Amazing how quick things can change within 10 games. I had never been more disillusioned with the club the last few years but it feels like they’ve finally woken up to themselves and have drawn a line in the sand.

Not getting carried away though, we haven’t beaten anyone decent yet but I feel like we will take a big scalp soon

4 Likes