Midway point in the season - reflections

3 picks in the draft was the right thing to do rather than spend overs for Dunkley. I don’t know whether to thank the Doggies or Dodoro for their stubbornness. We’ve now been forced to get a culture, rather than a trade-in-the-talent mentality. I just hope Dodoro doesn’t give in to his haggling urges and trade away our low picks come November.

5 Likes

I hope the Lions supporters are enjoying covering their eyes when Daniher goes for a set shot

We have a coaching group that are driven to win.

There is the key improvement.

We still lost to Fark Carlton though, so I give us an E-.

2 Likes

Fark our midfield would be good with dunkley

1 Like

And the one who can’t kick is leading them all :rofl:

Not anymore he ain’t!

1 Like

Naughty TIPPA… and I thought he was the type to help pensioners.

Probably been mentioned a few times but it’s just such a relief to have a number of players that can consistently hit a target by foot and be reliable in front of goal.
Ridley,Tippa,Merret,Langers Redman, Francis, Cox and Jones are all great users by foot.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to what @darkknightpheonix has to say here.

For me the positives are that we seem to have more than one game plan.
Truck doesn’t mind making moves, regardless of the scoreboard.
Happy to try players in different positions when the game is over.
Buck stops with him
Playing the kids
Conservative with bringing players back from injuries

Conceding too much
Lack of depth

you’d prolly be dissappointed then.

There’s always positives in every year, just cos I don’t narrow in on them and live off them like so many on here, doesn’t mean I don’t see them or they don’t exist.

my reflections are
the kids look super talented and switched on, so there’s a lil bit more belief and hope they actually turn into something decent.

The status quo of who is considered in the best 22 has slightly shifted due to injuries, but is still too rigid and narrow focusing for my liking.

supporters still make excuses and justifications about anything and everything, and are even regurgitating the same old bullshit now in this development year “there’s no one performing better” yada yada bullshit.

The only thing that’s different about this year, is the supporter exaggerations about how great we are gonna be on the rebound and this crop of players all turn into A grade champs is as bad as it’s ever been, and it’s all gonna happen within 2 ish years with the rest of this season on top.

So there you go, I’m just as excited about the kids and potential direction, albeit balanced and pragmatic enough to know it’s merely the first step, unlike some who are already lining up for tickets for the 2023 grand final.

1 Like

Balance and pragmatism belong in real life, not footy!

1 Like

Think you have nailed the blokes who would be in consideration for All Australian squad

Parish Merrett both in top 10 in coaches votes award. Plus Hind and Tippa performing well in their positions.

Ridley might be under consider this year now he has a B&f, form slightly down on last year? but still playing well most weeks.

All Australian 22 and under side
Ridley in at half back
Cox surely has a spot on the wing.
Jonesy potentially a spot up forward or the bench
Perkins, might be in consideration with a strong finish to the year

MCgrath is too old this year as turns 23 before the end of season, lucky Ridley is a october baby.

My mid season reflection

■■■■ Carlton

10 Likes

How are you relating what supporters think with what the footy club is doing?

1 Like

I’m not going to fact check this and assume it’s true - great observation if so.

Rutten and coaching group get a :white_check_mark:
Draft results and trading from last few years get a :white_check_mark: notable 2020 draft but also Merrett, McGrath, Redman, Ridley, Langford, Laverde, Parish, Francis, Walla, Draper, Bryan, Jones all look bonafide AFL players…add Guelfi, Ham, Snelling who may not be lock in walk up best 22 but have a lot of great young players.
On field performance…blue collar said Rutten and that’s what we’re seeing and then some. We are the second highest scoring team so far this year and have been in most games. No doubt we’ll see a bit of a slide in the back end of the year but I’m very happy with what I’m seeing.

I am a bit disappointed in our VFL setup. We look a bit thin there…I know injuries have probably ended up impacting on who we can pick to play VFL but right now there isn’t a huge amount of selection pressure. Next year we have to look at the VFL program and maybe get organised quicker. Could we use the MSD to add a couple of players to help in that area?

We are a far better team in the first 10 weeks than I expected. I agree with Lloydy that the list is the best it’s been in 20 years and has massive upside.

It is still a development year and that has been reflected by the opportunities given to the younger players and it will serve us well for 2022 and beyond.

The team still gives me shudders when I see teams like Hawthorn and the Swans run us down after considerable leads and the 3rd Q against the Roos made me nervous. To their credit they turned it around at 3QT and that’s a promising sign as I haven’t seen that for a few years.

Very happy and optimistic that, whatever happens for the rest of the season, 2022 is going to be an exciting journey.

After the Port game I went on to the “Something Seriously Wrong with the Club” thread and vented / complained about our club having “no plan”.

I could not be happier to have been proven wrong since.

The main reason for this is the kids and recent recruits (thank you, Jackets) with a direct and attacking gameplan (thank you, ex-Richmond coaches). Now we just need to stick to it. Keep blooding the kids. That is having the welcome side effect of rejuvenating the vets.

1 Like

A hell of a lot more postives than negatives.

Starting to flog the ■■■■ sides
Beat the Klan
Only 2 blow out losses to seasoned top 4 flag contenders
Competed well in the other losses bar 1
Only 1 real ‘Essington game’ (the FC game)
The development of the side is unreal.

Not many have mentioned but Peter Wright has been a bargain.

Sure he’s no world beater but wow has the capability to take a big grab and kick a clean goal outside 50 when the chips are down.

Hind and him have been very astute recruits.

4 Likes