Miscellaneous VFL comments and articles

Sad seeing the death of stand alone clubs

As is the AFL’s wish.

Yep, we are seeing it over here in the SANFL. The introduction of the AFL reserves side has had a huge negative impact and I fear proud clubs such as Norwood with over a century of tradition won’t exist in 10 years time.
The AFL has already threatened to remove some funding if we don’t come under their banner and become AFLSA. In more recent times they have also looked at taking over all the junior programs at SANFL level and running them. The AFL won’t be happy until they own or run every state comp

It’s awful. Their dictatorship is seeping down to the grass roots. They’re in the process is killing history, it’ll be interesting to see how long it takes to kill the sport.
The changing of the name “football victoria” to vic afl or whatever the fark stupid name it has was the start…

Guess the VFL draw for 2017 will be further delayed until NB situation is sorted out - Hopefully its out before XMAS.

Wernt Stkilda entering their own stand alone team in 2017?

As is the AFL’s wish.

Yep, we are seeing it over here in the SANFL. The introduction of the AFL reserves side has had a huge negative impact and I fear proud clubs such as Norwood with over a century of tradition won’t exist in 10 years time.
The AFL has already threatened to remove some funding if we don’t come under their banner and become AFLSA. In more recent times they have also looked at taking over all the junior programs at SANFL level and running them. The AFL won’t be happy until they own or run every state comp

It’s awful. Their dictatorship is seeping down to the grass roots. They’re in the process is killing history, it’ll be interesting to see how long it takes to kill the sport.
The changing of the name “football victoria” to vic afl or whatever the fark stupid name it has was the start…

The hand of the AFL contaminates the grass roots of the sport.

CULTURE

North Ballarat are back in

As is the AFL’s wish.

Have a look at the way Peel romped in the WAFL flag after not making finals ever in history prior to last year when they joined Freo

Something big is stewing at the Borough.

2 weeks ago, the club revealed it could not rely on The Rex Hotel as a main source of income and now reports out tonight that the players are foregoing match payments for round 1.

Of all the clubs, I would have never thought the Borough was going to be in trouble.

Planning permit has been submitted to install a decent size electronic scoreboard at Windy Hill. Same location as existing manual one, on the flank between the pool and the bowls.

And yes, you will presumably be able to read it from all angles…

4 Likes
1 Like

So the only stat, team or individual, that we are leading is team clearances.

BRING US IN.

Of course, they’re not currently in the final six, and the forward line efficiency is more Essendon pre-2017…

1 Like

The 22-year-old represented the Peter Jackson VFL in the State Game against Western Australia in May and has played eight games for the Bombers in 2017 – a far cry from previous years, when he’s struggled for consistency after requiring two knee reconstructions while at the Calder Cannons in the TAC Cup.

Ferry said the injuries – suffered when he was 16 years of age in 2011 and then when he was 18 in 2013 – had proved “character-building” and had created a personal trait he hoped would attract AFL clubs looking for a 191cm backman capable of playing on tall and small opposition forwards.

“The second injury was hard to swallow at 18 years of age,” Ferry said. “The 2013 season was going really well – I was selected in the Vic Metro squad but unfortunately I did my knee the week before (the NAB AFL U18 Championships started). You start to talk about getting drafted and you think you can make a career out of football, so it was pretty heartbreaking to know you’re going to miss 12 months.

“I had a bit of time off and that’s when Essendon contacted me to say they’d like to bring me down to the club’s new facilities, help me with my rehab and try to get me on an AFL list.

“I think one thing that would probably appeal to AFL clubs is my resilience. It’s pretty hard at a young age to take those big blows, but being resilient is something I pride myself on.”

Ferry has taken heart from seeing former VFL Bombers Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Ben McNiece given chances on Essendon’s AFL rookie list over the last two years and breaking through for games at the elite level.

He said their consistency of performance as VFL-listers – “being able to back it up week in and week out” – was one thing he’d taken from his time playing alongside them.

After appearing in 13 games and two finals in each of the last two VFL seasons and a 2017 pre-season focused on building strength in his legs, Ferry said his body is now in “the best condition it’s ever been in”.

Finding some consistency of his own has seen him average 16 disposals, five marks and four rebound-50s per game for the Bombers this year while also being named in the VFL’s best players in the State Game loss.

Now a leadership group member at Essendon under skipper Nick O’Brien and vice-captain Aaron Heppell, Ferry is passing on lessons learnt during his times on the sidelines to some of the club’s unlucky VFL-listers.

“Unfortunately we’ve got Sam Hooper, Bruno Laguda and Ben Fennell who have done their ACLs now,” Ferry said. “Sam and Bruno are just starting their careers off, so having a chat to tell them there’s a bigger picture and it’s not the end of the world is something I’ve been trying to do.

“I do feel there’s a few life lessons I can bring for the younger boys.

“With these serious injuries and being out of the game for as long as I’ve spent out, you start to look at the little things, and just being able to run out on the field week in and week out is actually a great achievement in itself.”

• THE FAST FIVE with James Ferry

What food could you not live without?

Pizza.

If you could do anything, what would be your dream job?

Apart from playing AFL football, I’d love to be a dog-walker. It’s something myself and Aaron Heppell are going to look into.

What karaoke song would you sing to save your life?

‘Hollaback Girl’ by Gwen Stefani.

Which teammate would you want to be stranded on a desert island with and why?

Aaron Heppell, just because he’d be my business partner with the dog-walking.

Which teammate would you not want to be stranded on a desert island with and why?

Nash Holmes, because of his potty mouth.

7 Likes

Last year’s top two teams for clearances and contested possessions per game – Williamstown and Casey – are unsurprisingly again in the top three teams for those indicators in 2017.

But now they’ve been joined by a third force.

The seventh-placed Bombers have emerged as a powerful stoppage team this year to lead the VFL for clearances per game while ranking second behind the Seagulls for contested possessions per game. These ranks represent a vast improvement on 2016, when Essendon finished 10th and 11th in the two categories respectively at the end of the home-and-away season.

It can’t be denied that the return of a handful of experienced AFL-listed players from suspensions related to the club’s supplements saga has made an impact in this regard. Hard-nuts unable to break into a relatively deep Essendon midfield at the elite level are leading the way in the VFL engine room.

The grunt of David Myers (seven clearances per VFL game), Ben Howlett (seven), Craig Bird (six), Kyle Langford (six) and Heath Hocking (four) has helped the Bombers become the top team for clearing congestion, while those same players lead the way at the club in terms of winning contested possessions.

There’s another important addition to Essendon’s regular VFL team that can’t be forgotten either: Captain Nick O’Brien – returning to the club where he played 14 AFL games from 2012-15 after a year in the SANFL – has appeared in every match to average 23 disposals, 10 contested possessions and four clearances per game.

Under previous senior coach Matthew Egan last season, the VFL Bombers were a shining light in a generally dark year for the club. They defeated Geelong in an elimination final and only fell to eventual premier Footscray by 19 points in a semi final.

That was with a playing list often low on depth and high in youth and inexperience due to the senior players’ suspensions. What could Essendon’s midfield under new senior coach Paul Corrigan do this September with a range of hardened bodies playing regular VFL football together?

5 Likes

The 202cm ruckman impressed with 15 disposals, eight marks and five tackles, a performance that landed him a spot among the best players.

“He’s still pretty raw, as far as the development side of things goes, but he’s been diving into the program,” Coach Paul Corrigan said.

“He’s been working on his education and knowledge on how to play.

“He’s been playing some really good football locally but just hasn’t had the opportunity through personnel that we’ve had at AFL level coming back.”

With 15-20 AFL players named in the VFL team each week, there are limited spots for the VFL listed players.

After impressing on multiple occasions at local level, Strachan was given the opportunity to play in the red and black.

“Last weekend he got his opportunity – he played his role really well,” Corrigan said.

“He played as a ruckman and also as a forward.

“He gave us a really good target, took some really crucial contested marks and also brought the ball to ground which made it predictable for our ground level players as well.

“He will get another opportunity this week which is great.”

Strachan spent the first half of the season playing for South Bendigo where he is co-captain.

He has won two consecutive best and fairests at the Club.

4 Likes

They’ve announced one more H&A game on telly for us this year:

Round 17 – Saturday August 12 – 2.10PM
ESSENDON vs BOX HILL HAWKS (Windy Hill)

4 Likes

Bugger.

Would have been good to win that one.

3 Likes

I’ll say bugger too … 'coz that one is at least going to be on radio.

Wish they’d chosen another.

1 Like

The VFL reserve (“developmental”) league is getting shut down. Also hidden at the bottom of the linked article is:

“In coming weeks, AFL Victoria will be releasing details of the competition structure for 2018, which will include North Melbourne and Werribee as standalone clubs. The only application under consideration is that of the Frankston FC to re-join the VFL for next season, with no other licences to be considered for the 2018 VFL competition.”

So if Franga aren’t back in, looks like we get lots of byes.

Alex Boyse and Nick Hind both invited to the Vic State Combine.

James Ferry and Kieran Strachan invited to the new ‘rookie me’ combine, which has been introduced due size restrictions at Etihad.

Presumably meaning there is more interest in Boyse and Hind.

Four of the ten VFL players invited are from Essendon.

Not sure if I should be unselfish and LIKE.

Richmond must have noticed M. Skinny at last.