Missing/crashed planes, and other aviation mis/adventures

The title could get very long: missing/crashed/ailing/stuck on the ground due to communication failures/shot down…

1 Like

Missing a working engine? :wink:

2 Likes

Reigning DJ thread says hi

1 Like

I’m still blaming Alan Joyce!

Outsourcing maintenance or something…any reason will do.

Oi…lay off the Reigning DJ King thread title…I know that the person who updates the thread title is a particularly fine fellow who puts a lot of thought into each one (allegedly).

6 Likes

The media is on the ball.
I guess they’ve never seen a reverse thruster deployed?

6 Likes

FKG LOL

Thats amatuer hour.

Someone should put in a concerned call mid flight to the sun about the wings flexing.

1 Like

The journey was that bad that several people slept throughout the whole flight according to crew :rofl:

4 Likes

Channel 7 had rent a quote, Geoffrey Thomas, for “expert” commentary on the incident. :rofl:

34L is 3900m so in a 737 you’d have no problem stopping not too concerned about the engine if able to use reverse thrust

1 Like

Is it slats on leading edge? Looks weird close to fuselage, or just camera angle?

yep. Slats are the leading edge.

You’ll notice the aircraft landed with flaps 15, I’m pretty sure, which is less than normal.
This is because autothrottle authority would have been disabled, and if there was a need for a go-around, takeoff performance with flaps 15 is better in a one engine situation.

2 Likes

The wealth of knowledge here on Blitz amazes me everyday!

11 Likes

I mean, who are those people!? Really!?

1 Like

The Tele was bad enough yesterday, but ABC Breakfast, while talking about this as one of their lead stories showed images of the Qantas QF32 (A380) engine explosion (and it’s damage) without attribution. No wonder the public get confused about what actually happended.

3 Likes

“Grave fears for passenger safety” FMD :rage:

6 Likes

Channel 7 reporter: “it must have been a terrifying experience for the passengers”
Passengers disembarking: “No, we really weren’t aware of a problem until we landed”

7 Likes

Passengers weren’t informed of the mayday or pan-pan calls and some slept throughout.
Most probably first had an inkling that something was up when they saw the firey’s lining the tarmac on landing.
Seasoned travellers would notice as you would feel the difference in speed and notice the altitude but they had smooth weather all the way which would’ve made it a comfortable flight

7 Likes

They might have felt the initial deceleration, but not the “difference in speed” without any frame of reference!

1 Like

A QANTAS plane turned around this morning on it’s way to Fiji.

Normal I assume but it does feel like ‘stuff’ is happening more often. Or just reported more often. Or is there a maintenance issue due to the pandemic?