Missing/crashed planes, and other aviation mis/adventures

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/news-items/2023/depressurisation-incident-highlights-importance-prioritising-use-oxygen-when-there-risk-hypoxia-effective-mitigations-known-design-limitations

One of the Navy Taipans went for a swim, luckily no casualties

1 Like

It is fortunate that no one was seriously injured.

One from the archives…

2 Likes

Can anyone comment on Finair? Seat size, comfort, safety, etc? Considering a trip to Switzerland in May, and they’re coming up cheapest.

Also, the next cheapest is Qantas, who I have some points with (130k). I note that right now there is a sale on points. How do they work with upgrades? If I was considering upgrading, if I buy the points is it guaranteed or just “maybe you can use them but you’ll find out”?

I’ve never actually used airline points in my life.

Which way are you hoping to fly with Finair?

Melbourne to Zurich and back.

Actually, I just checked again and the Australian leg is operated by Qantas. So it would be Singapore to Zurich.

Finnair is okay. It’s not Emirates or Singapore Airlines, but I think it’s quite comparable with QANTAS.

1 Like

When Russian Airspace was open, I wanted to fly the Finnair Polar route from Tokyo to Helsinki. I might have to wait a few years to be able to do that now.

If you get the Finnair A350’s and you are flying business. they have the new seating which are actually more like a lounge sofa than a seat. Some people hate them others absolutely love them. Finnair has a very good product and are comparable with most full service airlines.
The added bonus is that Helsinki is a great airport and great if you want a stop over. Transits are a breeze.
As far as points go, status is the King. You can have 5 million points in your account but if you have no or low status you are a mile back on the pecking order. CL P1c CL, P1, Plats, Gold in that order plus other partners high tiers also get in on the action. On the blue ribbon routes with Qantas you would have almost nil chance of an upgrade without status and the downside is that you won’t be notified until late.

2 Likes

Thanks. Well, since I only fly occasionally for work domestically, my status is rubbish (bronze). So, I won’t be risking anything with the points then.

Given costs, I’ll probably be flying to Europe economy again. :sob:

Some good business class fares from Asia to Europe if you get a cheap flight to Asia

1 Like

Today’s “It will buff out”

Guadalajara, Mexico

That’s some serious empennage damage and is almost going to be a write off I’d imagine although they are a pretty dodgy airline so some gaffer tape and pop rivets should do the trick. Early investigations indicate the driver fainted or had a medical episode

1 Like

My new word for the day.

3 Likes

Look if you can do it, so can I.

As if you don’t use that word 20 times a day