Missing/crashed planes, and other aviation mis/adventures

I subscribe to Geoffrey Thomas’ daily Airline Ratings email. I quite like it, but my faith has been badly shaken by yesterday’s email, in which he said that the Jetstar flight to Hawaii (I think it was there) was better than the Qantas equivalent because it was $300 cheaper. So far as I’m concerned, if the fare was $3000 cheaper I still wouldn’t fly Jetstar. Worst airline I have ever encountered.

Haven’t flown with Tiger?

1 Like

How is a guy doing airline ratings daily???

Anyway, as long as you know what parts he rated in which way to come to his rating you can adjust for your own preferences. He clearly rates price above some other elements that you rate.

Still, calling Jetstar the worst ever is a big call. Certainly struggles in some areas, but there are lots of airlines in the world!

1 Like

Granted I don’t fly a lot but I’ve never had an issue with Jetstar.

Sure, once stuck at Coolangatta for 8 hours (pre-renovations) because of a mechanical issue with the plane, but I prefer mechanical issues to be sorted when I’m in the terminal and not when I’m mid-air.

Their actual product is far from the worst if it actually departs. The problem is their cancellation rate and recovery is poor. I don’t fly them on principle but can understand why many do

2 Likes

Most airline ratings and awards are a crock of crap as they are mostly “paid” or given freebies for favourable reviews

2 Likes

Geoffrey Thomas is a stooge.

2 Likes

The daily email doesn’t rate stuff every day. It’s jus general aviation news, plus quite a lot of historical stuff. He does rate all the airlines, principally on safety.

1 Like

Rebels have reportedly taken over a military airport and claim to be close to taking this one.
US Ambassador only arrived this morning, now sheltering with the rest of the Embassy.
Madness in the streets.

1 Like

Aircraft started diverting a few hours ago and looking like they trying to get any on the ground up and out of there.

1 Like

Is the Mahdi playing up again?

General Gordon had better get going while the going is good.

Today’s it will buff out.

1 Like

Was that an undercarriage failure? It was a weird landing otherwise …

Tail strike that then dropped the left wing?

1 Like

Nah, just a bit of roll as it came in to land. I doubt it was aerodynamic stall on one wing.
Perhaps some cross winds.

1 Like

Landing speed was too high IMO.
I’d be shocked if the outboard engine (number 1) didn’t also sustain some damage as it’s pretty rare for just inboard engine 2 to cop it all

2 Likes

I’ve watched that in slow motion about 5 times. Don’t reckon there was much, if any, roll at the moment of initial impact. AOA doesn’t look too high, and first impact doesn’t seem to be a tail strike. But perhaps that’s just the angle deceiving me.

I mean it’s hard to tell, but was the U/C perhaps not fully down? Whatever, going around again after smashing that engine seems to have been a brave move.

I’ve seen it a few times and they are coming in too fast and flares too late. Hits pretty hard but doesn’t appear to be a rail strike just more a case of them failing to control the nose or roll. Only needs about 7 degrees of roll for an engine strike.
Second landing was much better and suspect a different pilot.
Assessing the damage will be interesting

2 Likes