Mitch Brown - The Accountant

There’s a bunch. Mostly old or not very good or both.

1 Like

Jay Nash still played ten years ago…

Leaving aside the players who never cracked a senior game for us after being drafted (the majority of whom, almost by default, were worse than Brown), and leaving aside top-ups, i’d nominate the following players who played senior games between 2007-2017 as being similar to or worse than Brown:

Richard Cole, Jay Neagle, Jay Nash, Rhys Magin, John Williams, Tom Hislop, Jarrod Atkinson, Michael Quinn, Henry Slattery, Tyson Slattery, Marcus Marigliani, Michael Ross, Alex Browne, Jackson Merrett, Elliott Kavanagh, Brendan Lee, Cory Dell’Olio, Will Hams, Lauchlan Dalgleish, Ariel Steinberg, Kurt Aylett, Dylan Van Unen, Jake Long.

Every club has reserve-level plodders that get the odd AFL game due to injuries, like Brown.

He was ok against Adelaide, in fact he did quite well as the comments in this thread after the match indicate.
Last night he was horrible. Cost us a number of goals. Why the huge difference? Was it the Freo pressure? Will they play him next week?
The loss of Gleeson is proving to be a significant.

How very dare you.

2 Likes

Guys, he’s always been this ‘good’.

2 Likes

The agony of choice…

Hahaha. I vividly remember the R1, 2010 game against Geelong when he marked in the F50 in the 3Q and played on, got caught HTB, and that was the turning point in the game. I turned to my friends at that moment and said: “the jury is in, Jay Neagle is fat and ■■■■”.

More suited to 80’s footy. In fact I think he’d be more suited to ping pong or grass skiing.

Harsh, cos I like the guy but who is filled with confidence when the ball is entering the back 50 and he’s on the scene?

looks like the king of the dance floor with that dirty mo

1 Like

Francis, Ridley, Redman, McNiece, lets go with them because brown dea hartley are not long term in my mind.

Francis is miles from being ready. Even if he’s good to go, he’ll need 6 or 8 weeks in the VFL at best before he’s even close to fit enough.

McNeice is still out injured and Ridley is probably still weeks away from being match fit enough to play AFL because he’s only a couple of weeks back from injury

1 Like

If people are expecting Ridley or Zerk will change our fortunes they are kidding.

I think Zerk has a great deal of potential but he is way behind even Francis in AFL conditioning. He would easily get exposed at AFL level.

And Ridley still has big question marks over him. He is not a body on body player and that’s what our side needs.

Ambrose will at least offer a hard edge that we need down there.

1 Like

Is it really about changing our fortunes though? Maybe there’s more to be gained from throwing in a kid with a future ahead of playing an older player without one. Zerk’s not ready and Ridley might need a few more in the 2’s before being considered, but a kid like Redman should be in the mix. Redman for Dea is a change I’d like to see. Dea is honest and pretty courageous, but he’s a VFL player. Why not find out if Redman can play?

As for Brown, how about we make Hurley a proper defender again and leave Mitch in the VFL where he belongs. I was happy to see Mitch step up in round 1, but a week later, he showed exactly why many were worried about seeing his name on the teamsheet. He plays slow (which Woosha apparently likes) and isn’t strong enough in a contest. I don’t doubt his effort or courage, but the quality simply isn’t there. Hurley is currently a shadow of the defender he used to be and it’s time he gets back to destroying opponents one on one instead of playing loose and picking up cheap kicks.

Losing Gleeson and Ambrose has given us an opportunity to throw a couple of fresh faces into the mix, it’d be a shame to waste it entirely on Brown and Dea.

4 Likes

I agree that I would rather see a young guy given an opportunity but what needs to be accepted is that young players are inconsistent and in all likelihood need patience.

Langford is a great example.

I personally think Ridley is way over hyped on here and would easily be exposed at the next level.

I have only seen Zerk the once live and that was the other day and I’m far more impressed. He has far fewer weaknesses and looks to have a big future if they don’t rush him.

If you look at our defensive unit we have made a lot of changes from last year and for understanding and continuity that is not a good thing.

For mine I would bring Ambrose back in and drop Hartley and play either Dea or Brown as the intercept/third tall.

1 Like

Yeah let’s waste another 2 years on dea brown Hartley langers etc.

Who would you have in the side to replace those players and why?

Ridley, Redman, Bezerker over Dea and Brown for starters. Need to get some games into these kids and see if they are up to it or not. We are not a legitimate threat this year and I’d be surprised if Brown and Dea are a part of our next serious assault on a Premiership.

2 Likes

Just don’t get how a full-time professional athlete in his prime years still has the arms of a 12 year old girl.

2 Likes

I would be happy with that but does the supporter base have the patience?

It’s why I used Langford as an example.

Our supporter base is restless and wants instant results.

Blooding too many youngsters will fast track their development but most likely cost us ball games.