Mitch Clark, sledging and mental illness

Quoted Post

What's Caro in about with this? Some if us don't watch that ■■■■

Basically called Clark a liar, and surmised that if Clark didn’t want it in the papers he should have considered the consequences of talking (in confidence, mind you) to his football manager.

Needless to say, players should now probably keep all issues to themselves and not talk to anyone. Perhaps a poor outcome given Clark’s particular condition.

Just watched Footy Classified, Caro’s position was astounding.

Quoted Post

Just watched Footy Classified, Caro's position was astounding.

yep, totally bewildering.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Caro would be happy to watch the world burn as long as she ran it first.

She’d still get Baker and Mckenzie to physically write the story though.

oh let’s face it, they would actually do the digging, write the story, send in the copy, and it’d get published under their names.
then she’d insert a sentence, and whack her name first into the byline

then revise that sentence a day later.

Quoted Post

She’d still get Baker and Mckenzie to physically write the story though.

It’s Mitch Clark’s fault.
He should have known before attracting depression that this would be something of interest to the public.
She’s only being a messenger…

Caro likes to burn bridges doesn’t she?

Quoted Post

How's SWSNBN's form saying Clarke should have known what was coming when he made the complaint. Basically suggested that if he didn't want it in the public arena, he shouldn't have opened his mouth. Really poor form and shows what she thinks of the matter.
"Everyone should know that anything you tell the AFL admin, they'll tell me, and I'll run it, whether it's verifiable or not"

How’s SWSNBN’s form saying Clarke should have known what was coming when he made the complaint. Basically suggested that if he didn’t want it in the public arena, he shouldn’t have opened his mouth. Really poor form and shows what she thinks of the matter.

Put it this way, I imagine players have always given Clark crap about lying through his ■■■■ to get out of Brisbane to go "home" to WA - only to end up at Melbourne when they found a few more dollars. So his behaviour has been questionable in the past and I'm sure he's copped it about that. Is he now immune from copping it about that? And how far can we really expect players to go out of their way to *not* talk about his depression? These aren't exactly considered, researched comments...

i’d be surprised if this became an issue because Clark ‘misunderstood’ some jibes about him chasing cash.

I don’t think there should be any penalty or punishment for it, but if you sledge somebody about their depression, you’re a rubbish person, and a good public ‘outing’ is worthy.

It should be a no go zone. Bag him about being a rubbish player or whatever but leave the illness stuff out of it.

As a sufferer of depression i wouldnt wish it upon anyone. Imagine if a supporter was bagging him about his illness and the person sitting next to him was going through the same thing, wouldnt exactly help that persons state of mind

Its none of the above.

It was a Damien Barrett story, which means its very likely a complete and total beat up. Probably only player made one relatively innocuous comment and Barrett is trying to sensationalise it for the sake of a story.

Complete non-issue.

Not sure that’s essentially true SMJ.

Jeff Kennett, ex-Hawks president and head of beyondblue is investigating the matter and people like Wayne Schwass, another sufferer of depression have been rather public in their condemnation. Not to mention that when quizzed on TFS last night, Josh Gibson was very guarded in his comments.

No ■■■■ hes gonna be guarded on that show on such a serious issue.

Quoted Post

It should be a no go zone. Bag him about being a rubbish player or whatever but leave the illness stuff out of it.

As a sufferer of depression i wouldnt wish it upon anyone. Imagine if a supporter was bagging him about his illness and the person sitting next to him was going through the same thing, wouldnt exactly help that persons state of mind

Agreed. It’s no different to race, sex or sexuality.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Agreed. It’s no different to race, sex or sexuality.

My initial reaction was the same as yours, but why is depression (an illness, just of the brain more than the body) that much different to having a bung arm or ribs? Or having a gambling or drug problem (again, largely treated as an illness), or some form of legal trouble?

All of those have been used to get under opponents’ skin, with little or no repercussions.

Maybe my initial gut reaction was right, but I’m trying to find the logic as to why the line is exactly where it is.
And I’m sure I’m not the only one absolutely gobsmacked by Mitch Clark’s return to better health (depression as well as his supposedly career-endingly bung foot) as soon he got out of his contract at Melbourne.

If it was me copping it I’d tell the guy he seems like he has a lot of repressed anger.
I know a guy, he could really help you.

He completely screwed over Melbourne yet none of my Melbourne supporting mates say it’s acceptable to sledge him.

It’s probably a beat up, but if it’s a player really bad form.

Quoted Post

Not sure that's essentially true SMJ.

… Not to mention that when quizzed on TFS last night, Josh Gibson was very guarded in his comments.

Yes, I thought he was very sheepish indeed when asked directly about it. My bets are it was a Hawthorn player - either Gibson directly or he heard it. Irrespective who it came from, the issue should be strictly off-limits IMO.