Mitch Clark, sledging and mental illness

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
It should be a no go zone. Bag him about being a rubbish player or whatever but leave the illness stuff out of it.

As a sufferer of depression i wouldnt wish it upon anyone. Imagine if a supporter was bagging him about his illness and the person sitting next to him was going through the same thing, wouldnt exactly help that persons state of mind

Agreed. It’s no different to race, sex or sexuality.

My initial reaction was the same as yours, but why is depression (an illness, just of the brain more than the body) that much different to having a bung arm or ribs? Or having a gambling or drug problem (again, largely treated as an illness), or some form of legal trouble?

All of those have been used to get under opponents’ skin, with little or no repercussions.

Maybe my initial gut reaction was right, but I’m trying to find the logic as to why the line is exactly where it is.
And I’m sure I’m not the only one absolutely gobsmacked by Mitch Clark’s return to better health (depression as well as his supposedly career-endingly bung foot) as soon he got out of his contract at Melbourne.

Could you argue that a gambling or drug problem are self inflicted?

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
It should be a no go zone. Bag him about being a rubbish player or whatever but leave the illness stuff out of it.

As a sufferer of depression i wouldnt wish it upon anyone. Imagine if a supporter was bagging him about his illness and the person sitting next to him was going through the same thing, wouldnt exactly help that persons state of mind

My initial reaction was the same as yours, but why is depression (an illness, just of the brain more than the body) that much different to having a bung arm or ribs? Or having a gambling or drug problem (again, largely treated as an illness), or some form of legal trouble?

All of those have been used to get under opponents’ skin, with little or no repercussions.

Maybe my initial gut reaction was right, but I’m trying to find the logic as to why the line is exactly where it is.
And I’m sure I’m not the only one absolutely gobsmacked by Mitch Clark’s return to better health (depression as well as his supposedly career-endingly bung foot) as soon he got out of his contract at Melbourne.

Could you argue that a gambling or drug problem are self inflicted?

You could. You could argue a number of injuries are, too. Doesn’t stop opponents targeting them, does it?
Quoted Post
Not sure that's essentially true SMJ.

… Not to mention that when quizzed on TFS last night, Josh Gibson was very guarded in his comments.

Yes, I thought he was very sheepish indeed when asked directly about it. My bets are it was a Hawthorn player - either Gibson directly or he heard it. Irrespective who it came from, the issue should be strictly off-limits IMO.

It was reported as happening in the Hawthorn Geelong game, and Clark plays for Geelong so… ya reckon? :wink:

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Not sure that's essentially true SMJ.

… Not to mention that when quizzed on TFS last night, Josh Gibson was very guarded in his comments.

Yes, I thought he was very sheepish indeed when asked directly about it. My bets are it was a Hawthorn player - either Gibson directly or he heard it. Irrespective who it came from, the issue should be strictly off-limits IMO.

It was reported as happening in the Hawthorn Geelong game, and Clark plays for Geelong so… ya reckon? :wink:

Yeah, I know - out on a limb, I am. :slight_smile: I meant from a Hawthorn player rather than the crowd ( as was intimated on TFS).

Wouldn’t put it past Joel Selwood, though…

It all still happens. We just don’t hear about it. It’d be naive to think players don’t sledge others on field with taunts and slurs regarding race/religion/off-field behaviour/personal life/homosexuality etc.

I’m with Sam. What happens on field stays on field and there is an unspoken agreement to not talk about it off the pitch.

Of course there are exceptions and players sometimes cross the boundaries in regards to this (Des Headland/Nick Riewoldt’s sister etc) but it still happens and always will.

I doubt we have even scratched the surface to what some players cop on the field. I fear for the first openly gay player and I think it is more than a coincidence that there isn’t one as of yet.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Because people with bunged arms or ribs aren’t prone to killing themselves because of their affliction.

Sledging done correctly is great, but it is rarely done correctly. Should be rubbed out completely.

Is it just me, or does Josh Gibson have Dr Spock’s ears?

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Because people with bunged arms or ribs aren’t prone to killing themselves because of their affliction.

Fair point.

FWIW I thought Brisbane targetting Reiwoldts shoulder was one of the most atrocious things I’ve seen on a football field.

But like Benny said, Reiwoldt didn’t come off the field after that questioning why he hadn’t necked himself.

I also understand the sentiment about his “recovery” after getting out of the Melbourne contract, but I don’t think it is correct. When in a hole you have to do what you have to do. When you come out of it, it is easy for someone looking on to think you were blowing it out of proportion or using it as an excuse. It’s not that way at all though. And simply going back to Melbourne may have given him a huge amount of anxiety, apprehension, shame, fear of relapse, etc. Just the thought of the articles about it may have been a trigger. It’s really hard to explain, cause it really is ■■■■■■■ complicated. I couldn’t even begin to explain some of the irrational things I’ve done and why I did them 'cause it would make me look fricking looney but I’m actually a well adjusted, normal person… Life is just a bit (or a lot) dark is all…

Absolute c*nts act if you ask me.

Mitch Clark is a flog.
Sledging is an admission you can’t beat your opponent with skill. It is the refuge of the weak.
Giving a sporting opponent a burn over mental health issues just shows what a pin ■■■■ the perpetrator is.
As Clarkson is, so his teams are.

IMO you should only sledge players for things they have control over.

What happened to the good ol’ days of telling an opponent that you’d ■■■■■■ his missus the night before??

Quoted Post

Yep. Things like hearing footsteps and short stepping in to a contest

Damien Barrett is Australia’s foremost floutman. If he told me that fire was hot I’d stick my hand in it to make sure. I will confidentially say with 100% certainty that this did not happen.

It’s okay to simultaneously hate Barrett and accept that he’s correct almost all of the time.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Yep. Things like hearing footsteps and short stepping in to a contest

Agreed

Or picking up a whale at the local watering hole the week before

Quoted Post

It's okay to simultaneously hate Barrett and accept that he's correct almost all of the time.

Indeed. He seems to get every story.

All this does is confirm Hawthorn are due to be taken down a peg or two