MotoGp, 2015

Haven’t bothered with a thread this year, because understandably there isn’t a huge amount of interest on these boards.

But, its been a cracking world championship and it moves to Phillip Island this week so a local flavour is in play.

Today’s Japanese Gp was fascinating. Valentino Rossi lead the title race by 14 points going in, having put together a year of racing smart rather than being the outright quickest. But Lorenzo - 2nd in the Championship - took pole position and in wet (but drying) conditions blasted to a four second lead half way through the race, looking unbeatable. However, in doing so his front tyre copped a fearful hammering as the drying track overheated the wets and started to break down the rubber.

Meanwhile, 8 seconds behind Lorenzo in third place, the Honda of Dani Pedrosa suddenly found the track temp to his tyres liking and started ripping out fastest laps. Rossi in second found his 4 second buffer shredded inside three laps and couldn’t prevent the Honda getting through. With 8 laps to go, the current positions had Rossi’s championship lead cut to just 5 points and he looked gone.

Pedrosa, however, was now flying and shortly afterwards had carved Lorenzo’s lead back to nothing. He got through with ease, and Rossi’s points buffer crept back out to 9.

Somehow, a final twist eventuated in the last 4 laps with Valentino able to up his pace again, despite slow-mo footage showing chunks of rubber being shed by both his, and Lorenzo’s, front ends. He closed onto Lorenzo’s rear wheel, and under pressure, or due to a front that refused to turn in (likely both) Jorge out broke himself and ran wide. He gifted Rossi a 2 second gap and with 3 laps to go it was a matter for both Yamaha riders to not bin the bike on dodgy fronts.

End result is that Rossi miraculously extended a Championship lead when 8 laps earlier it looked impossible for it not to be slashed to near zero.

So he hits Phillip Island with an 18 point advantage, 3 races left in the series. Lorenzo should be quickest at PI. Should. But there is an argument to be made that if he can win his 7th Motogp championship , at age 36, then this could well be Valentino’s finest of all. He has only won three races this season, but he has podiumed in every race bar one. Lorenzo and Marquez have won more often, but have also made some horrible errors.

Fingers crossed here that all contenders stay upright, and that The Doctor gets home for a final World Championship. And then I hope he retires, a perfect way for a deadset legend to bid farewell.

jesus h christ that battle between marquez and VR was epic, then that incident to top it off. can’t even imagine the passion and adrenaline rush that caused that.

Good summary, and couldn’t agree more on Rossi - has been great to see him back in front (he has to a large extent made up for my very tepid interest in AFL lately). Fascinating race, yes, and a fascinating series - as the commentators say, it is impossible to know what will happen in the next three rounds but I hope Rossi can ■■■■■■ a win at the Island. Bummer that Miller dumped it again, but if he can limit such excursions in future he might be very competitive. Marqez also suffering from multiple errors is a bit surprising after his early domination upon entering the class.

Great summary Sal, I think Rossi is a good chance at the Island, always seems to be quick here.

I think the comment a few weeks ago by Marquez that Lorenzo is quicker but Rossi is more experienced is a very valid one.

Like you I hope Rossi wins it, been a great competitor, arguably one of the greatest riders of all time, and would be magnificent to go out world champion one more time.

Great race- so entertaining and terrific finish. The race, track and event is still great for Australia. We’re lucky to have it. Perfect day for it too.

I’ve followed the 500ccs/MotoGP for approx 35 years and that last lap from Marquez was the single greatest lap I’ve witnessed. He is a phenomenal talent.

I've followed the 500ccs/MotoGP for approx 35 years and that last lap from Marquez was the single greatest lap I've witnessed. He is a phenomenal talent.

To set the fastest lap of the race on the last lap when the tyres are ragged is just sensational, I thought Jorge was a sure thing going into the last lap he was that far in front but to close that down and pass…f’n amazing.

Rossi just couldnt break that Ducati which was a rocketship down the straight and was quite handy through the corners as well, the passing manoeuvre where Iannone went past both Rossi & Marquez was breathtaking, could have ended badly but damn that was brave.

Great race

I’m glad my mate pulled the pin on going on Saturday night.

man, those moto3 guys are off their heads. crikey.

Rossi clearly frustrated by Marquez doing exactly what he called him out on during the week. Part of me says good on Rossi for showing that young fella just who’s boss, the other part of me says that was pretty poor. All the focus will be on Rossi’s actions I just hope people look at Marquez’s actions leading up to that incident, both of them could run at the leaders pace but Marquez’s ducking & diving around Rossi resulted in them falling 6 seconds behind. Its a sad way for the Championship to end.

Marquez doing what Rossi called him out on, or Marquez starting to do exactly what Rossi accused him of? Or just the set up issues that Marquez had been having meant he was only able to run at the pace of Rossi and not the two ahead of them. I really don’t know - neither rider has the greatest reputation for fair riding amongst the rest of any field they’ve competed in.

I found Rossi"s mid-week ranting about MM astounding. There’s never been any love between Marquez and Lorenzo - in fact quite the opposite. I doubt Lorenzo would spit on him if he caught fire. On the other hand Marquez had huge respect for Rossi and grew up wanting to be like him. To state that Marquez wanted Lorenzo to win the title was just nuts.

I doubt either of them could have run at the leaders pace actually. Lap times from after the incident when Rossi had clear track showed that he only matched Lorenzo’s times once and that he never matched Pedrosa’s times.

Rossi showing the young fella who’s boss just cost him a World Championship. Was a monumental brain snap. And I dare say that guys like Biaggi and Gibernau are sitting back thinking ain’t karma a ■■■■■!

But I agree, was a sad way for the Championship to end and was a pretty awful look for the sport.

Marquez doing what Rossi called him out on, or Marquez starting to do exactly what Rossi accused him of? Or just the set up issues that Marquez had been having meant he was only able to run at the pace of Rossi and not the two ahead of them. I really don't know - neither rider has the greatest reputation for fair riding amongst the rest of any field they've competed in.

I found Rossi"s mid-week ranting about MM astounding. There’s never been any love between Marquez and Lorenzo - in fact quite the opposite. I doubt Lorenzo would spit on him if he caught fire. On the other hand Marquez had huge respect for Rossi and grew up wanting to be like him. To state that Marquez wanted Lorenzo to win the title was just nuts.

I doubt either of them could have run at the leaders pace actually. Lap times from after the incident when Rossi had clear track showed that he only matched Lorenzo’s times once and that he never matched Pedrosa’s times.

Rossi showing the young fella who’s boss just cost him a World Championship. Was a monumental brain snap. And I dare say that guys like Biaggi and Gibernau are sitting back thinking ain’t karma a ■■■■■!

But I agree, was a sad way for the Championship to end and was a pretty awful look for the sport.

Yep, fault on both sides IMO but Rossi had to attract a penalty. Lucky nobody was hurt.
Marquez doing what Rossi called him out on, or Marquez starting to do exactly what Rossi accused him of? Or just the set up issues that Marquez had been having meant he was only able to run at the pace of Rossi and not the two ahead of them. I really don't know - neither rider has the greatest reputation for fair riding amongst the rest of any field they've competed in.

Yep, fault on both sides IMO but Rossi had to attract a penalty. Lucky nobody was hurt.

And that’s the most disappointing thing from this - regardless of whether Rossi intentionally took him out or just intentionally ran him wide, you’ve got a guy who has spent so much time campaigning to make the sport safer doing something that goes against everything he has stood for.

It’s a massive brain explosion from a guy that soooo many people admire for what he has done for the sport. And I’m one of those people that has admired him hugely. Geez my first helmet was an AGV Rossi Replica (sh1t helmet but that’s not the point). I just hope he rides the wheels off the thing in the last race to remind everyone just how good he is. If he does decide to retire next year would hate for this to be the last memory of the guy in many peoples minds.

Rossi has been absolutely unbelievable in this race, hopefully the Hondas can catch Lorenzo!

Marquez looked like he had no intention of going past Lorenzo

He clearly didn’t.

Lorenzo basically conceded there was a Spanish conspiracy. Doesn’t excuse what Rossi did but I don’t blame him for being very ■■■■■■ off. Cheapens Lorenzo’s title.

Dunno if Spanish conspiracy - don’t think Pedrosa was out there riding for Lorenzo’s sake. But one of two things has happened -

• either Rossi was right and Marquez has been out to destroy his chances from some time, or
  • Rossi was wrong, and throwing wild accusations pi$$ed Marquez off.

But by the time Valencia rolled around it was pretty clear Marquez was going to do everything in his power to make sure he had the last laugh. Would have been very interesting if Rossi had caught up to Marquez. Would have liked to see him pass him.

Next year will be interesting