Movie Genre - Top Ten Horror Films

I thought I would start a new one because @Captain_Jack keeps hinting at it :grinning:

Horror can cover all sub genre’s including Zombie films, Haunted House, Found Footage, Slasher, etc…

Not everyone’s cup of tea but there are still a lot of very good examples of Horror done right.

1. The Exorcist (1973) Directed by William Friedkin

2. Halloween (1978) Directed by John Carpenter

3. The Shining (1980) Directed by Stanley Kubrick

4. Hereditary (2018) Directed by Ari Aster

5. The Thing (1982) Directed by the John Carpenter

6. Train to Busan (2016) Directed by the Yeon Sang-ho

7. Ju-on The Grudge (2002) Directed by Takashi Shimizu

8. Don’t Look Now (1973) Directed by Nicolas Roeg

9. Suspiria (1977) Directed by Dario Argento

10 The Orphanage (2007) Directed by Juan Antonio Bayona

1 Like

Would have thought The Thing would be classed as sci-fi.

1 Like

I think it could comfortably fit into either.

There are a lot of horror scenes it though.

Horror I can’t really do the “classics” as they are not scary and Horror is one genre I go for the thrill rather than the art.

Cabin in the woods
Pans Labyrinth
28 days later
Get out
Saw
The conjuring
Blair Witch Project
Let the right one in
Antichrist
Green room

The Exorcist is easily the scariest movie of all time.

I saw it on New Years Day when it was released, in a city theatre with few people. As I drove home in my Kombi van I was convinced someone was in the back.

I stopped and left the car and walked home.

10 Likes

The strangers is up there for scare factor.

2 Likes
  1. Psycho
  2. The Shining
  3. Halloween (original)
  4. The Exorcist
  5. Jaws
  6. The Birds
  7. Carrie
  8. Testament (scariest pg movie ever made)
  9. Repulsion
  10. Don’t Look Now/Rosemary’s Baby

Apologies: The Fly, The Babadook

For total thrills the french film Martyrs would have to be up there.

Only seen it the once because it was so disturbing.

Any movie with this guy in it.

1 Like

Evil Dead did it for me.

And Nightmare on Elm St caused me some issues as well.

4 Likes

Salems Lot- One of the first horror movies I ever saw scared me for a long time

The Omen - The second horror movie I saw as above

The Exorcist

Evil Dead

Dawn of The Dead

Texas Chain Saw Massacre

The Thing

A Nightmare on Elm Street

SAW

Get-Out

1 Like

I can’t do a full list.
The Shining is number one, but it’s so damn good that I don’t even think of it as a horror.
Evil Dead for definites.

I know I’m on my own here but I don’t rate The Exorcist at all.
Not scary to me and neither was it particularly interesting.

Is American Werewolf in London a horror?
Love that.

The original Halloween stands up, has a fantastic opening scene.
The Ring, The Grudge.

Texas Chainsaw isn’t B Grade, it’s Z Grade and I can’t really be having with it.

Cabin in the Woods is very good.
If Jaws is horror then it has to be included.
Saw, I guess.

I’ve seen a lot of horror films, a lot of it really terrible. And that’s sort of okay.
I’ll put one terrible one in.
Zombies! Zombies! Zombies!
Jay Laguia is in it.
He has one line.
It is, ‘Aaaaaaagh.’

3 Likes

Not a big fan of horror…never quite got into the idea of watching a movie to scare myself sh*tless

But in the spirit of the thread I will give it a go

1. The Omen…maybe not sustained horror like The Exorcist but gee, there were a number of scenes that had me jumping

2. The Shining

3. The Exorcist

4. The Silence of the Lambs

5. The Birds

6. Misery

7. Bram Stoker’s Dracula

8. Last Train To Busan

9. Rosemary’s Baby

10. Jaws (never really thought of it as a horror movie)

1 Like

Not my ideal genre, so l am unsure if l can even do a personal top 10, but my # 1, hasn’t been mentioned, the original Alien by Ridley Scott.
l went to see it in the city with a mate when it first came out. We had no expectations and didn’t even pay much attention to the film’s tag line; ‘In space no one can hear you scream.’

We were both visibly shaken after the experience of watching the xenomorph burst out of John Hurt’s chest. So were the rest of the cast, as they weren’t informed in advance what was going to happen in that scene. A nervous walk back to the car followed by some equally nervous jokes, as we tried to calm our nerves and scanned the shadows to be extra sure there was nothing lurking in them.

My mate was more shaken up than l was, to the point where he refused to acknowledge that the movie was in anyway a science fiction. To him it was straight horror, l said it was both, a stance l still maintain today. Good idea for a thread, l will be back with more later.

#2 - The Devlis - Ken Russel. Also not mentioned here, but a movie that made my stomach turn just from the opening scene (maggots crawling out of the eye sockets of a skull, the camera pulls back to show what remains of the body is mounted on a wagon wheel, held up high on a pole, as the camera continues to pull back, more and more of these grisly wagon wheels come into view… France!

2 Likes

Lol. I saw it the first time absolutely off my tree on a very good micro dot. Very, very unsettling experience.

4 Likes

Alien
The Shining
Evil Dead
Suspiria
Psycho
Halloween
Night of the Living Dead
The Innocents
Tetsuo: The Iron Man
Audition

1 Like

I don’t know if it was a horror movie or not, but it was certainly disturbing.

1 Like

I was nearly going to put Night of the Living Dead (1968) but saw Dawn of the Dead (1978) before, George A. Romero really started a genre which is still hot property today, Night of the Living Dead is a true classic.

3 Likes

Freaks (1932)

2 Likes

Poltergeist , House of Wax, Invasion of the body snatchers, Tremors, Creepshow, Maximum overdrive, The Omen 2, Night of the creeps, House. Thats a few of my faves not yet mentioned.