Movies of a more arthouse/Black skivvy wanker type of genre

I like the movie a lot. Has a great sexual tension.

Problem with Welles it’s so friggin hard to understand what he’s saying. He puts on the most mumbling incomprehensible southern drawl.

I don’t think Paul Newman was one of those.

On the other hand I remember Pillow Talk, in which Rock Hudson played the manly romantic lead opposite Doris Day and for some reason the plot required him to act effeminately at one point. So you had a notoriously gay actor playing a straight guy acting like a gay guy.

I recall it as being just about the most unfunny comedy I had seen in my life up to that point and there haven’t been many worse ones since.

Yep, and so does Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Elizabeth Taylor and Paul Newman sizzle IMO.

(if you haven’t seen it, give it a look, it’s a really good movie)

It was the three guys I mentioned who were said to be that way inclined.

You could add in Cary Grant and Randolph Scott, both real he-men.

That is a very good movie. Classic melodrama.

Yes it is, one of my favourites, I reckon I’ve seen it at least 5 times, always with a box of tissues handy.:slightly_smiling_face:

cheers - we have a copy at home so definitely seen it a number of times.
Taylor and Newman are hot together.

1 Like

Paul Newman was the actor of the 1950’s for mine, and not too shabby in the 1960’s and 1970’s either.

He was damn good looking bloke, especially in his youth. But a fine actor too.

Happy marriage.

Had it all.

1 Like

Sauce?

Gave all the proceeds to charity too.

1 Like

On the subject of the 50’s, I never saw the appeal of Marlon Brando or James Dean.

James Dean was very good in Rebel without a Cause and East of Eden.
I suppose for Dean his appeal was that of a bad boy.

They are the only movies I’ve seen him in.

Only seen Brando in On the Waterfront, so don’t know re his appeal.

Cary Grant is a stand out for me from then. Him and Hitchcock just nailed it. Throw in a Grace Kelly (To Catch A Thief) or an Eva Marie-Saint (North By North West) and you have superb viewing.

An Arthouse film is one that gets remade by Americans and is totally unwatchable - for example - the Dinner Game - Le Diner de Cons https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119038/

Remade as the totally crap Dinner for Schmucks

Street car named desire.

Brando appeared to be beyond acting.

Before Brando it was all over the top monologues under the spotlight. Brando brought a great realism that suspended belief. He made you forget you were watching a film.

Listen to me Brando is a great doco about the man.

He was batsh!t tho.

Does Locke qualify as art house and did anyone who saw it love it as much as I did? I watched it on a plane… which for this movie made
Me feel like I was there.

2 Likes

No. I haven’t seen it so it doesn’t count.

I like Brando but Dean was just a pretty boy

I hated it in French FWIW. Nasty idea, nastily done

Watch it with headphones on and in the dark. I found it enthralling.

1 Like