MRP MRO and Tribunal stuff - 2018

How do you get fined for taking a swing, not hitting, not hurting, no contact at all? Surely they fine people for that about a thousand times a game then?

3 Likes

when is heppell making contact with umpires?

Before each gameā€¦itā€™s why the free kick count has improved in recent weeks

2 Likes

Probably asked ā€œwhat the hell is that free kick for?ā€

attempted strike? is that even a freakin rule?

1 Like

It is a rule now.

Next, it will be thinking about wanting to strike someone.

Pretty sure itā€™s always been a rule, just not often used. I donā€™t mind him copping a fine for that, if itā€™s going to stop him from trying it again. Heā€™s too good and important a player to have on the sidelines for multiple weeks for doing something so daft, and thatā€™s how it wouldā€™ve played put if he had connected. Throw into that the damage inflicted on McIntosh, whether you like him or not.

2 Likes

Or imagining one of the umpires naked.
Straight to the Tribunal.

ā€œYou were THINKING of doing a spear tackle!ā€

3 Likes

Minority Report

2 Likes

Attempting to think about striking?

I think about doing bad stuff all the time. Sometimes I even start the process and then back out later. In primary school we rolled black tea up in to toilet paper cigarettes. We couldnā€™t light or smoke them but maybe attempting to smoke will still give us lung cancer?

I donā€™t have a problem with he receiving a fine for the swing and miss eitherā€¦ as long as it isnā€™t in the same farkin year that someone else gets a fine for a swing and a hit on our players.

2 Likes

When did Heppell make contact with the umpire? I missed it.

I have no idea. No one seems to be able to point it out.

Coin toss. Made contact with all 3 with a handshake.

7 Likes

I agree in that swinging arms around is dangerous, so there needs to be a deterrent to putting the other player at risk of harm. However, the MRO up now states that

• Devon Smith fined $1500 for striking Kamdyn McIntosh

I think itā€™s a typo & itā€™s meant to say ā€˜attempted strikingā€™ - but this is where the MRO is playing god.

Unless he has more evidence than the one angle weā€™ve seen all we know with certainty is that Smith swung an arm and there was no contact. Maybe the lack of contact was the intention? Hence the charge would be deliberately attempting not to strike kammac, but creating the risk of contact.
Or given we donā€™t know the intent the charge would be ā€˜careless act which could have resulted in contactā€™.

This matters as players are getting whacked from both angles ie the consequence of their action as well as the ā€˜inferredā€™ intent. Intent has to be known with some certainty as it does lead to suspensions.

1 Like

Iā€™m shocked by this serial umpire contact, if it is happening so much, surely it should be highlighted so others can avoid this heinous offence.

Or is it so incidental as to be unavoidable, but a standard fine is required despite the umpires urging the AFL not to make them untouchable to the point of being ridiculous.

Unless someone can time stamp the Heppell offences and the Myers offence, how are we to know?