Music You've Been Listening To

1 Like
1 Like

This ones a sleeper, but for anyone who knows their hip hop will be familiar with it.

2 Likes

Certainly enjoyed this which I gather is a signature piece.

Loved the comment calling the clip the “Longest car wash ever”, I was thinking ‘2001’ but how cliched is that.
He definitely listened to plenty of ‘Kraut Rock’ growing up, and there’s nowt wrong with that!

2 Likes

And here’s the sample with Dre and Snoop,

I was in the car today and just happened to hear the worst song in the world.

Friggin’ 10-1.
35 years old and still fresh.
Still surprising.
Still a start to finish album.

Still…how the hell did a killer pub band decide to go art-rock and pull it off like…just friggin’ nail it.

3 Likes

I didn’t think they could top Place Without A Postcard (which is also start-to-finish). It’s a debate which could go on for years, but they at least equaled it…

Alright, I’ll concede that Somebody’s Trying To Tell Me Something is trash.
sigh
Imagine if it was replaced with anything from SD.

I like that one (especially the way it runs into the runoff groove on the original vinyl…). I’ve always thought Tin Legs (and, to a lesser extent, Maralinga) were the slightly weak links…

I think Maralinga is one of the best tracks.
And the coda to TLaTM makes it essential for mine.
I don’t mind the guts of that song, it’s at worst inoffensive.

Somebody’s really seems like a B side. and I wouldn’t miss it one bit.
The last note is cool, but you can’t rate a song on one note.

1 Like

Okay, I’ve decided I want One Country as the last track to 10-1.

I do also like the segue b/w Tin Legs and Somebody’s Trying.

Our record player growing up didn’t have an auto shut-off when you’d reached the run-off groove. As such, I could drive my parents to distraction by letting that final note play unabated until either Mum and Dad roared at me to “turn that bl00dy noise off”.

1 Like

It would weaken RSitS signficantly (being my favourite Oils track of all…) but for me, if Jimmy Sharman’s Boxers was the final track on 10…1 (replacing Tin Legs, but seguing from Somebody’s Trying with that last note slowly faded out under Jimmy’s “roll up… roll up” intro) it would be an even better album than it already is…

1 Like