Music You've Been Listening To

But wait there’s more…

Two versions of the same song, both of them outstanding. I can’t decide which version l prefer, l change my mind each time l change from one version to the other.

Have spent the day taking in the new Pixies album Doggerel (yes, it’s leaked).

Of course it doesn’t have any of the thrill of their first 4 albums (that would be impossible), and it takes a while to get its hooks in, but it goes about it in a quite pleasing way.

Opener Nomatterday chugs very nicely in a Subbacultcha kinda way, before changing course midway launching into their patented surf-rock.

Haunted House is a belter… classic laidback Pixies, with some nice lashings of their real weapon (Joey Santiago).

They are always going to be hard-pressed to compete with their legacy, but if their last 3 albums had been released by a new band called The John Citizens they’d be praised for being solid indie rock albums.

2 Likes

I’ve probably posted this before…
#4 in England, also a hit in Scotland and Belgium.

It’s a little Coldplay, but goshdarn it’s a good song.

1 Like
1 Like

#lungs

3 Likes

Complete nostalgia, this video is as 90’s as it gets - that slacker era of the 90’s, just a whole lot of not really caring about much going on. These guys were underdogs from the Sub Pop label who didn’t subscribe to the grunge era of the label and were from interstate, Portland long before the hipster invasion. They also had a ragged looking bloke who looked like he’d taken too much acid who would dance around the band on stage. Handy little three piece Hazel were.

1 Like

The word underrated gets bandied around a bit but these guys (again from the 90’s) really were and it was mainly of their own doing due to the fact that they really didn’t like doing publicity. They had a song which was used a few years later in a US car advertisement. They were a big influence on a number of bands like Deftones.

1 Like

Hum’s first album in 20 years, released a year or two ago. More of a drawn out space rock outing, released not long before the drummer unfortunately passed away. Rock solid band.

1 Like

Listening to Hazel made me think about Oxford Collapse. Not so closely related in sound, and from a decade or so later, but this was also Sub Pop and gives off some vibes from the decades preceding it.

2 Likes

Love the Captured Tracks label, bought a 2xLP Strum and Thrum which highlights American underground jangle from 1983-87, it’s a stunning compilation. Indie generally leaves me dead inside these days, it’s often very middle of the road but I’ve been enjoying the clever songwriting of Chris Cohen and the Captured Tracks label. A teenage Cohen featured in the Sonic Youth video in the mid 90’s, Cinderella’s Big Score, playing a character based on Kim Gordon’s brother whom she (and family) had a rocky relationship with.

2 Likes

ECM have just released an unheard Jarrett concert (no more new stuff thanks to a series of strokes), from Bordeaux in 2016. Without the usual versions of standards and totally improvised, it’s a reminder of what we have lost. Paired back, introspective and “fearless” and “mesmerising”(the Guardian critic’s view).
I reckon it’s wonderful but I’m hardly impartial. The full album is on Spotify.

1 Like
2 Likes

Can’t wait to see these guys in early December (minus Leon Bridges)…

1 Like

I got tickets too, can’t wait.
Saw Leon bridges 2 weeks ago and he was horrendous! Probably the worst thing I’ve ever seen live.

1 Like

Maybe the greatest guitarist ever. Unbelievably melodic!

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Return of the Dream Canteen

1 Like

What’s it like?

Fake as F@ck, Bag of Grins, Carry me Home, Reach Out, Shoot me a smile are all really good songs.

Frusciante is a living legend

1 Like